Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegetarian (etc.) bargains/special offers thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Really?! Damn, I was doing all my beer-buying based on the purity law :(
    It would imply it was vegan, there being only 3 ingredients and all, but maybe I should do some more thorough research....

I know, I know - I was hoping for an easy Rule of Thumb for the offie/pub, as I can't be arsed carrying lists and I thought I had it from all that I'd read till now. It seems that for the purposes of the Reinheitsgebot, finings aren't classed as ingredients as german brewers reckon that they are **all*** removed after the fining process is completed. :rolleyes:

Still, there are some nice options on this list;
    http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/popularbeers.htm

esp. Tsingtao, Hoegaarden, Cobra, Red Stripe, Tiger Beer (I think thats on tap in the Long Hall now), Oranjeboon (non vegan) and Stella Artois.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Ah yes, as long as my absolute favourites aren't off limits I should be fine :) Did a little digging myself and this list told me Chimay is vegan, yay!
    http://www.barnivore.com/beer
    Tis a good site, glad I came across it.

and I now see your link also corroborates the Chimay info, nice, I'll trust it more if I see it twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Hell pizzeria are doing "All You Can Eat" pizza nights on Mondays and Tuesdays for a tenner.

Wrote most of the details on my hand (bold!) and they're all washed off so will get back to ye about it.

WOOT!!

right so, Monday or Tue evening Hell meetup it is for us :) Their snack size is €7 and large is €14 (or €8/16 for fancy pizzas). And I know some people find large pizzas a handful (like myself ;))... Got to be done! I'll have to get back to you about a date though... Still, we don't have to do the all you can eat and we can go another night.

Please post the details if you see them again! I guess there must be time restrictions etc...

@ sweet-rasmus

*cough* feeding starving student members of the newborn UCD veg*n soc :D

No info on their website yet, so I've emailed them a gentle reminder.

Will report back. Might even drop myself into the zone for recon :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

jelly tots 31 cent in tesco, well Artane one at least, nom nom nom, vegan delights. :p

• Advertisement

right so, Monday or Tue evening Hell meetup it is for us :) Their snack size is €7 and large is €14 (or €8/16 for fancy pizzas). And I know some people find large pizzas a handful (like myself ;))... Got to be done! I'll have to get back to you about a date though... Still, we don't have to do the all you can eat and we can go another night.

Please post the details if you see them again! I guess there must be time restrictions etc...

This week?

ah! no, i don't mean this week for a meet-up. us boardsies seem to need a fair bit of warning. i don't wanna plan yet as i have some things i have to do this week that will take all my will power. but i'll make a plan after :)

e:%5CAll%20you%20can%20eat_EMAIL_v_4.jpg

cool :) I'll start a thread later in the week.

Nugan Estate €10.69 – now €7.69
    · Chardonnay
    · Sauvignon Blanc
    · Shiraz
    · Cabernet

Nugan Third Generation €8.99 promo €5.99
    · Shiraz/Cabernet
    · Chardonnay
    · Shiraz
    · Semillon/Chardonnay

Promo runs till Sat 19th Sept

From the producer's email;

"Nugan Estate uses:

Casein / Skim Milk Powder for removal of phenolics in Botrytis Semillon *. Milk & Milk Products are not consumed by Vegans (but is/may be consumed by Vegetarians). Casein / Skim Milk is not used in any other products for fining at Nugan Estate.

We do not (nor have ever) use Animal Products (eg: Gelatin, Isinglass, etc) & thus, all wines produced at Nugan Estate are compliant for Vegetarians. "

So it looks like all of the above are suitable for vegans.

*Botrytis Semillon is neither stocked nor on promotion by the above retailers.

• Advertisement

1. Trilogy Skincare Event (ooooh!)
    Wed 9th Sept (tomorrow), 1-4pm, Trilogy founder will be in store answering questions.
    Book a mini Trilogy facial with their own beauty therapist and receive a free gift, while stocks last (facial may be free too) Ph. 873 4098

2. Buy 2 or more items in the Dr. Hauschka range and get a Dr. Hauschka cleansing cream, worth over €16, free.

3. You can pick up your free tix for the Rude Health Exhibition, RDS next weekend (12th & 13th)

P.S. The have the Faith in Nature chocolate shampoo. It does indeed smell soooo chocolatey!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭markphillips

Nabbed a Quorn Lasagne for €1.05 in Tesco, Newbridge today!

So, I popped into Hell for their "All You Can Eat" special last night. At 6.30, the joint was unexpectedly quiet but word mustn't have gotten around yet. Also, until it filled up, the local scumbag childeren were crowding in and causing hassle but they didn't stay long. Mind you, there were 3 sets of 'em, in quick succession.

You pay up front and have to specify whether you're veggie or not and then they bring you a SLICE at a time - it being a pot luck of whatever the kitchen have just cooked :-). Also, both veggie and meater pizza slices were put on the same plate.

However, thew lovely staff soon saw that this was a bit silly and left us down the rest of the full pizzas that we'd just had out slices off. While scoffing our way through these, the server popped down with 2 other pizza slices for my meater companion, not me. In fact, the first pizza slice we got was a veggie option - the Purgatory, but she got hers cooked with pepperoni.

We struggled to finish these and were asked if we'd like our remainders wrapped up for us to take home :) (I'd say this wasn't standard procedure tho, just a courtesy on a quiet night)
    We kept nattering for a while longer (pizza place started to fill up around 7.30-8) and then we were approached and asked if we'd like to try some desert pizza! After the doggie box! Score. Half an hour later, we were offered the other sweet pizza option, the chocolatey one. MMMM, choclate.

So you do better there, if yer a meater but 2 thumbs up anyway. Looking forward to seeing ye all there, when it'll be veg*n options all the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

oooh i would have enjoyed that!

oooh i would have enjoyed that!

Indeed and you probably will. You're moving here soon, eitherway :p

Forgot to add that they dropped down complimentary ?kumar? chips n dip early on (the sweet potato ones) and an hour later, the lemon & pepper chips and dips.

And I enjoyed my cold pizza slice for breakfast too :D

Alpro Soya IL (in the fridge) Original/Light €1.29

Carbery Dubliner Irish cheese 400g €4.85 (they have the VSI symbol)

1. Govinda's - only in the new one in 18 Merrion Row (10%)
    2. The Eco Shop in Greystones (10% discount on purchases over €25)
    3. Sunyata Retreat Centre, Co. Clare (10%)

from www.vegetarian.ie

1. Govinda's - only in the new one in 18 Merrion Row (10%)
    2. The Eco Shop in Greystones (10% discount on purchases over €25)
    3. Sunyata Retreat Centre, Co. Clare (10%)

from www.vegetarian.ie

ohhh! good news there :) i like shopping in the eco shop.

and thanks for the full account of Hell. Sounds a bit odd how they are doing it. Being vegan and all I wouldn't have much selection... You sound like you had a great evening there :D

ohhh! good news there :) i like shopping in the eco shop.

and thanks for the full account of Hell. Sounds a bit odd how they are doing it. Being vegan and all I wouldn't have much selection... You sound like you had a great evening there :D

Have you tried the yummy vegan option, btw?
    Anyhoo, they make up pizzas and I reckon that if you email them in advance, they'd probably oblige you with cheese/custard free versions of the veggie ones - especially if theres a few of ye. And there's also the chips but with a lesser range of dips.

Ooooh...flashback. Billy Connolly on the screen...nekkid bungee jumping....

oh yes. i was very satisfied with the sinister pizza :)

• Advertisement

Divine Dark Chocolate 100g bars (and other Divine chocolate variaties) were half price at Dunnes Cornelscourt, Dublin, only €1.02. I guess they are reducing the range of products on their shelves...

Yeah, I guessed that too. Some "slow sellers" were ending up on the 'Reduced' shelf recently in my local Dunnes.

From the French Wines Sale starting today:
    La Croisade Reserve Chardonnay (2008) (not Shiraz) - was €15.99 now €8
    Superquinn Classic Collection Red Burgundy 2007, now €7
    Cobieres La Fournas, was €10.99 now €7

"Save an exta 5% when you buy any 6 bottles" (like for a boozed up weekend out Wesht ;))

Small print online is too small but I think it's till the 22nd.

Also
    1st Choice frozen leaf spinach 450g was €1.55 now €1, till 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

M&S have 3 for €7 on their Veggie Pasta Bake and Mushrooms, onions and red wine dish too (forget the name and too lazy to check fridge, which is great because its usually 3.79 to buy individually. I bought three today. Suitable for home freezing.

Snack size pizza plus soft drink, €6.50, on presentation of Student Card.

***edit*** 12 - 5pm only, eat in or takeaway.

but there is a time/day limit with this. can't remember the rules.

***edit*** 12 - 5pm only, eat in or takeaway.
    ahhhhh. good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I'm not sure if this is the norm, but Butlers Organic 70% dark chocolate (vegan friendly) is €0.85 for a 100g bar in Tesco here in Galway. Considering other Butlers chocolates are over €2 I was quite surprised! It doesn't seem to be a reduced price or on offer either, I just never noticed...

Linda McCartney Cheese Leek & Red Onion plaits, €2 (nyomnyom)
    Sharwoods Indian Sauces €1
    Roma Rice (500g) Basmati Boil-in-the-bag €3.95 now €2
    Loyd Grossman Italian sauces €2 €1 (not all veggie....and seem more watery that before but that could just be me)
    Barilla pasta (spaghetti/fusilli/penne) €1

Organic free range eggs x 6 €2.99 now €2
    Organic Glenisk low fat yoghurt singles (125g) - 5 for €2
    Superquinn fresh herbs - 2 for €2
    Superquinn fresh peas & beans range - €2 per pk
    Bachelors baked beans 125g 225g - 2 for €1
    SQ ground almonds (100g) - 2 for €4
    Ben & Jerrys 500ml tubs €6.65 now €4.99

till 13th October, in most cases

• Advertisement

Quorn mince/chicken pieces €2