Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

• 13-10-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I decided to start a thread in which people come along and say whatever they want to about their day in UL.

Whether it be good, bad, indifferent, something that is going on that you attended, a ****ty lecture, an impossible assignment...just come to this thread and let everyone know how your day was.

Post as little or as often as you want to.

I'll start by saying that I'm awake since 6:17 this morning, I've been in college since 9. I had a wonderful fry in the Paddocks to help with my slight hangover that I got because of Guinness in the Stables last night.
    I had no reason to be up early today because both my 9 o'clock lecture and 11 o'clock tutorial were cancelled this week, but low and behold, I would be awake bright and early :mad: I endured the most torturous Economics lecture (2.5 hours) in which I'd say 75% of the class were asleep.
    I spent the rest of the day developing a sales letter and brochure, before succumbing to hunger at 7, and going home...after food, and some snooker on tv, I'm lying on my bed, contemplating going for some pints before I sleep...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I left my folder with all my notes from the last 5 weeks and all the work I'd done on presentations/assignments in the ERB today. I went back 10 minutes later and the room was locked and the folder was gone. I'm just hoping whoever locked it handed my folder into lost and found, if not I might cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

i came back after a week and a half missing and my head hurts big time, sorted my accomodation though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Mossin wrote: »
    I endured the most torturous Economics lecture (2.5 hours) in which I'd say 75% of the class were asleep.
    QUOTE]

i was in that too and i was definately one of the 75% and i think the other 25% left during the break..
    besides that didn't do much went to the stables for tea after the lecture came home and my west wing box set had been delivered so i might start watching that now or i could be productive and have a look at the assigment i have to do for next week decisions decisions..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Harpy wrote: »
    west wing box set

Good show. Must start season 4 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Harpy wrote: »
    i was in that too and i was definately one of the 75% and i think the other 25% left during the break..

I was asleep after 15 mins, but my friend beside me kept waking me up, so I decided to play hangman and draw pictures for the remaining 2 hours...
    There were feck all left after the break alright, he was too boring!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭idPlease

I was in that lecture and not only was the subject **** but the lecturers dull method wasnt helping anything...:mad:

Today is ****e. Can i say ****e? ****.
    F***ing awful, pissed off big time cos i was completely cut short this morning first thing. plus added to that for the third night i only got 6hours zzzzzzz....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Brings back memories of that fantastic 2 hour HCI lecture I had in 4th year.....didn't take long for me to start disliking it intensely. I think I started leaving at the break after a while.

I need to rant, like really need to rant or I might kill someone.

First off, the only reason I am in UL for the Open Days was to hole up in the library and do work. Yesterday I left my folder in one of the ERB rooms. My fault, I take full responsibilty (although I can't really blame anyone else). Went back at ten past 6 (Lecture finished at 6) and room was locked and I couldn't see the folder in there. So this morning (read: lunchtime) I went to the reception in the Main Building to see if it had been handed in there. I have the following conversation:

Me: Hi, I lost my folder and...
    Receptionist: No.
    Me: Sorry?
    R: No, we haven't seen it.
    Me: But I haven't described it.
    R: We don't have it.
    Me: Fine. Do you know...
    R: No.
    Me: I haven't even asked.
    R: What then?
    Me: Where else can I look for it?
    R: I don't know. Can't you see we're busy?
    Me: *looks around, I am the only person there*.

Long story short, I eventually find it still in the original room, but room is locked. The SU have told me that security will not open the door until Thursday morning, after the open days, so even though I know where my folder is and can see it and it would only take two minutes to get it, I am not able to get it.

I'm really annoyed, both at how I was spoken to at reception (Yes, I know it's crazy on campus with the Open Days but Jesus Christ woman pull the rod out of your arse) and the fact that security won't open a door for two seconds to let me grab my folder than I can see plainly from the door.

I feel like pulling my hair out. I've also only had 3 hours sleep because my housemate was having a houseparty. She's repeating 4th year and all her friends who have graduated can't seem to let go and come back, on average, 3 times a week for a houseparty. Do they not have other friends in Limerick? I need sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I feel your pain ergonomics. Its all red tape and people just being lazy or abusing their power. Your going to come across people like this no matter where you are and what you do and their arrogance is going to make you sick. They make me want to take a sledge hammer to them sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm really annoyed, both at how I was spoken to at reception (Yes, I know it's crazy on campus with the Open Days but Jesus Christ woman pull the rod out of your arse) and the fact that security won't open a door for two seconds to let me grab my folder than I can see plainly from the door.

I take it this is the receptionist in the main building? **** her (not literally of course). Pop down to ERB and see if you can find a porter and ask them nicely if they'd open the door to let you get your folder.

Can't speak for the porters in the other parts of the college but the guys in CSIS were sound and would help you out if they could so it might be worth a try.

• Advertisement

rmacm wrote: »
    I take it this is the receptionist in the main building? **** her (not literally of course). Pop down to ERB and see if you can find a porter and ask them nicely if they'd open the door to let you get your folder.

Can't speak for the porters in the other parts of the college but the guys in CSIS were sound and would help you out if they could so it might be worth a try.

There was no porter in the ERB earlier and I couldn't find one anywhere else, that's why I went to the SU. I have to say, they were really helpful in there. I must point out the nice people, as well as the meanies.

All is good now though. Don't have my folder but I do have fudge from the Farmer's Market. I can't remember the last time I ate something so nice that I never wanted it to end. I also took a deep breath and decided to do what I can without my notes and then on Thursday I will get my folder first thing and work away since I don't have lectures until 3. It all works out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I can safely say that my day hasnt been as bad as ergonomics...

But it has been rough enough.
    I'm sick to death of it raining on me every time I need to go home, and then being dry when I'm indoors...

My day started TOO early for an open day. In college at 9:30 for project work.
    Then a tutorial at 1pm, and yes I know lecs and tuts were cancelled, but we had to go to one...

I came home to relax, then do some more work, but I fell asleep reading a pdf document....

I'm getting some beer soon, and going to enjoy myself, I have NO college tmrw, just an FYP to write :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

0340 this morning called out. Back to bed at 0430. Grrrrrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭cson

Galway Monday night. Much merriment and joviality.

The place is so much better to go out in than down here. We've a better College though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

I'm getting very annoyed. trying to do an essay for qualitative research methods and i don't have a clue what i gotta do!! wouldn't mind but its only an 800 word essay and i have a grand total of 0 because i don;t have a notion of what i'm doing!!

i like this thread its nice for ranting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosgirl

Im on teaching practice....

...I Miss UL.....Sob :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Approved thread!

Continue your rants and bitching!

If its any consolation the real world sucks more then you could possibly imagine, Enjoy your stay in UL while you still can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Peteee wrote: »
    If its any consolation the real world sucks more then you could possibly imagine, Enjoy your stay in UL while you still can!

Sigh. How this is true. And I'm not even in the *real* world, because if I was I'd be getting paid more and doing fewer hours.

My day:

7:30 Got up to do shots (I'm on antibiotics en ce moment)
    8:15 Went back to bed with drip attached.
    Fell asleep for longer than should have(bloody antibiotics making me sleep-ier)
    10:30 Woke up. Exhaled a few explicits.
    Raced to work.
    10:45 - 11:10 Drove around each and every carpark about 5 times looking for a space. Found one near Schrodinger/Arena.
    11:15 Ran into meeting late.
    12:00 Compiled An Focal all day.
    16:30 Went home for more shots. Snuck in a hang sang'itch there too
    17:30 Returned to office
    17:31 Compiled An Focal
    21:45 Got pizza in Java's. Mmmm pizza.
    22:30 Compiled An Focal
    00:00 Eyes started to go bleary around midnight; fed up of correcting poorly punctuated articles. Don't care anymore.
    00:01 Hatred of overuse of exclamation marks begins to make blood boil and shoulders shudder at every use.
    00:02 Death wished onto a certain person who shall remain nameless who can't tell that !!!!! is not necessary to make a point
    00:03 Head hits desk in exasperation
    00:04 Fortnightly questioning begins as to why the hell I went for this position
    00:05 Convince myself I love it really
    00:07 No, I don't actually.
    00:08 Realise time and promise myself I'll be out of here by 1; like I do every fortnight; but never am.
    00:09 Curse that f*cker with the exclamation mark obsession.
    00:11 Sigh
    00:15 Go on boards.ie "for five minutes".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Approved thread!

+1

Finishing a degree at the beginning of a recession is the worst thing that can happen. Nobody seems willing to invest in a graduate due to their tightened belts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I had a long day too, but I can't sleep! Boards seems a good alternative though.

I spent the last two days handing out surveys around the open day stalls. One of the people who was meant to do so dropped out, so I got a phone call on Monday night asking if I could take her place. Being quite heroic (and poor), I obliged. It was kinda fun, but tiring. There was a Wii set up opposite us in EG010 today, it was hard not to get distracted by it!

Ooh, I do feel the need to sleep now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Approved thread!

bollocks.

the real world is fantastic.

there's no recession/budget out here in africa :pac:

My folder is gone! Gone gone gone! I should write a crime novel about it. The victim (A. Folder.) is in a locked room. You have confirmation that this room has not been unlocked since Monday night. Despite being the first person to enter the room after it has been unlocked, the victim is gone. WHERE ARE YOU FOLDER? I also have a test on Monday which I can't study for until I get notes and helpful is not a word I would use in conjunction with my classmates.

At least one of my lecturers is lovely and has offered to replace all the notes, even the ones I never had in the first place because I was off sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Approved thread!

Agreed...the real world is horrible...if i was still in UL id be drunk right now at 13:43 on a Thursday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Agh :mad:

I forgot my laptop today so used a computer in the library, everything was fine until about 300 words later when irealisedthespacebuttonwasntworkingonthekeyboardandallmywordswerestucktogether

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Went playing tennis on the courts by Kilmurry. Everything going great until I slipped on some slimy stuff and done a one knee slide on the astroturf. Left half my knee on the ground after me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 T1890

Never ever bitch about daily life in UL! I finished last year and I am telling you now that you have it good, so set up a UL appreciation thread thanking UL for all the good days its gives you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Love UL but have a german exam on monday its gonna be hard, oh ya and accounting sucks (especially if your like me who never did it for the l;eaving cert and hasnt a clue whats going on)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

1huge1 wrote: »
    Love UL but have a german exam on monday its gonna be hard, oh ya and accounting sucks (especially if your like me who never did it for the l;eaving cert and hasnt a clue whats going on)

Just a quick tip: If its Principles of Accounting in 1st year with The Sherrif, the exams are never too far from the past papers. Make sure you look through them before doing the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hehe "The Sheriff", I like it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ergonomics wrote: »
    My folder is gone! Gone gone gone! I should write a crime novel about it. The victim (A. Folder.) is in a locked room. You have confirmation that this room has not been unlocked since Monday night. Despite being the first person to enter the room after it has been unlocked, the victim is gone. WHERE ARE YOU FOLDER? I also have a test on Monday which I can't study for until I get notes and helpful is not a word I would use in conjunction with my classmates.

At least one of my lecturers is lovely and has offered to replace all the notes, even the ones I never had in the first place because I was off sick.

Cleaners open and re-lock all rooms. Every night...and if they weren't locked, they will be when the cleaners leave!

Advertisement