Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alarm advice: Service, upgrade, or new install?

• 14-04-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I have two wired alarms (main house & annex) which need servicing, batteries, and possibly parts. One is an old Aritech (keypad + correct/incorrect symbols) in the main house and the newer one is a SecureWatch HKC (keypad + play/record/lightbulb symbols). The wiring seems to cover all windows/doors upstairs & downstairs.

Instead of paying to get the old systems serviced I'm wondering if I'd be better looking into getting one of those spanking new IP-based alarms that you can self-monitor from a smartphone, and even eventually connect IP cameras and smoke/gas alarms. For example, the video for the GSD i70 looks nice!

So can either of the wired alarms be upgraded at a reasonable cost, or would it require a full-price new install? Maybe I should wait till these IP alarms are more popular before upgrading?

Thanks for any advice/comments.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The IP alarms are popular now. All our new systems are capable of IP remote access.
    The devices would be fine and you would just need to replace the panel and keypad.
    With a the likes of the i70 you would need an expander card for the wired zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 javapie

Thanks KK. Sounds like the panel upgrade to IP might be the way to go.

Quick question - there are 2 alarms in the same physical house (main house, annex extension). If two new panels were installed could they both be self-monitored & controlled from a single smartphone?

Does an IP-based alarm connect to the broadband router via WiFi or does it have to be wired LAN?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 javapie

Does an IP-based alarm connect to the broadband router via WiFi or does it have to be wired LAN?

I guess a universal WiFi adaptor (~30 euro) could be used if the alarm panel is wired Ethernet only. Not the most elegant but should work?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

javapie wrote: »

Quick question - there are 2 alarms in the same physical house (main house, annex extension). If two new panels were installed could they both be self-monitored & controlled from a single smartphone?
    Yes , or you could use the likes of Siemens and have a single control panel & a split system
    javapie wrote: »

The on-board connection is lan, but you can use mains network adapters & wifi adapters instead of using a hard wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

The HKC 10/70 can be partitioned so one panel one bell one ip module 2 keypads and you can use the 2 areas independently save on cost big time and the HKC wifi card and gsm/gprs module and app is out end of may

• Advertisement

Areas are standard on Siemens & Risco as well. Not sure about the i70 yet.

Advertisement