Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

tbh im not even bothered commenting on this farce of an election.

we should all vote RON And have a proper one in a few weeks. really pathetic this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BlueFlowers

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    tbh im not even bothered commenting on this farce of an election.

we should all vote RON And have a proper one in a few weeks. really pathetic this year.

I asked today and was told that there is no RON.

I asked today and was told that there is no RON.

the anti-democracy democracy officer decide that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BlueFlowers

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    the anti-democracy democracy officer decide that?

No, apparently - and I could be wrong - but its in the new constitution, it just hasn't been ratified yet.

thanks 4

• Advertisement

oh yeah,

TST - well done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

was trying to decide between kelly and cathal for a while, kelly definately a strong worker but caused a serious amount of embarrassment that i have been willing to look past. Cathal seems strong on paper but I knew nothing really about him and there has been plenty of candidates that have been all talk, no action

hustings has decided it for me, cathal seems to have come across really well while kellys comment on suicide prevention is not an attitude i would like to see in welfare

good luck to all candidates today

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

Voting time! After hustings last night it became a lot easier to chose, although there's still one tight call...

VP/Academic: It has to be Paddy, this nonsense of not liking a desk job really has to stop coming up because it's a well worn and in my opinion irrelevant point. His own current role is being discontinued so no doubt Campaigns & Engagement will filter into the other sabat roles, why not let someone who won't need a trial and error period take on the added responsibility?

DP/Welfare: There's the tough call, Kelly's got the experience but Cathal seems to have some sort of buzz about him. With the exception of anyone on campaign teams who I was friends with, Cathal was the only one to talk to me and even asked a few questions. I did speak to Kelly too, but the reason I make that point is pretty much to disregard the three way ticket of 'fresh faces'.

President: Sure I'm a little biased, I'm friends with Adam as I've said before, but whether the other two candidates just didn't bother to talk to me because of the naive thought they couldn't win my vote or because they weren't talking to anyone, I'll never know. I don't like throwing personal digs, especially after my own campaign, but Eamonn's appearance at hustings (first and only time I seen him in two days) gave off the impression he'd learn as he went along, enough to answer the next question. David on the other hand, would know all the facts but make you feel like a fool for asking the question. I only knew his name before this from being involved with C&S up until this year, hadn't a clue what he even looked like so best of luck to him in getting a whole campus to take into account his experience and ignore the personality points lost to Moursy and Horgan.

Anyway, all that really counts for nothing, which is why I love public forums! Good luck to everyone and regardless of whether you drink or not, you will feel hungover tomorrow!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Voting done... now to wait for the results. Going to be very, very close for President I think. Still have reservations about all of the candidates, but hopefully these won't manifest themselves too much next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DR.Magoo

Are you saying a quieter person who is not used to public speaking can't recruit class reps? A timid, quiet person can be just as influential if not more so to recruit class reps. A person like paddy will recruit people, but a person like Jackie would too. They would recruit different kinds of people, and Jackie's group would probably be more influential.

- Yes I am saying a quieter person who is not used to public speaking will struggle to recruit class reps. True Jackie Woods may recruit different kinds of people, but in these positions you need a leader and a person who will stand out.

- Class rep training
    I don't see your point here?

Seeing as education is a position where you will be overseeing the running and organisation of class reps training, generating a good team of class rep's which are up for the job is critical. If they see the position of class rep as being boring they won't do it. If they are boring, the people in their own class won't listen to them. Simple as.

- Engaging with the University re: online results
    Or here? Just because you aren't as comfortable speaking to a crowd doesn't mean that you can't sit in a meeting and hammer out a deal

Really? So you mean to say that obvious traits such as persistence and obvious enthusiasm for the job in order to get people in a meeting to work with you aren't needed in order to hammer out a deal? Come out of the clouds.

Yet Paddy was a sabbat during a time when most students became disillusioned with the current regime. He was also perhaps THE most controversial Sabbat, with rumours/allegations/libel over his expenses. So yes, I think I'd prefer Jackie to be my representative.

That is what was rumored from some ill informed members of students and obviously your opinion. If you were at the emergency UGM where all this was discussed and cleared up you would know.

Also, lets not forget Paddy doesn't like desk jobs. He can't hold a public forum every day. If 'we can't see him he's not doing his job', well I'd put it to him, 'if we can see you, you're not representing us to our university so therefore, not doing your job.'

Thats getting old now. From what I remember of the hustings last night Paddy Rockett addressed this question and explained very well. Part of each job in the SU is working with students, so if you can see the person then obviously they are doing their job.

In my honest opinion a shake up of the Education or Academic side of the ULSU with some new idea's and enthusiasm for the job is what is exactly needed for the coming year. Therefore, Paddy Rockett has my vote for that position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

Done.

Voted Moursy, Rockett and Ronan.

''To the victor,belongs the spoils''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

When will the results be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

8.30pm in the stables

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Tonight. 8:30 in the Stables.

Gotta love internet voting! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Don't think I'll vote,
    Because I'll only be stabbing in the dark if I was,
    Picking names I recognise.
    Seems like a waste of a vote and most people are against it,
    But there's good reasoning behind it.
    If anything it's something to be admired.

I know for a fact that quite a few people have proper looked into who to vote for, and have weighed up the pros and cons before making their decision, of who to finally choose.

I don't want to counteract this by throwing down any old name that comes to mind.
    If I've no preference I won't vote, and have given off the impression all day when flyers and sweets have been thrown at me.

Despite the fact that other people will continue to vote for the person who gave the sweets earlier that day,
    I won't.

Hated back in Mallow because of it when elections come,
    Voted for the mighty Sean Sherlock and that was it :D

Gotta love the conflict and tension elections bring.
    True colours are involuntarily shown :rolleyes:

Voted for the mighty Sean Sherlock and that was it :D

D'you even still get a vote after that...... :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    D'you even still get a vote after that...... :pac::pac::pac::pac:

I'll be damned if he does! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

8:30pm? I hope it is, dragged out horribly last year.....considering I knew for about 45-60 minutes the results before they were officially announced....that was difficult. Hopefully it'll run smoother this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Spoken to him on a few occasions,
    Fixed the pavements near my house :)
    Legend :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

8:30pm? I hope it is, dragged out horribly last year.....considering I knew for about 45-60 minutes the results before they were officially announced....that was difficult. Hopefully it'll run smoother this year.

sure there was no obligation on you to attend the stables announcement...

• Advertisement

Fixed the pavements near my house Ruined the Internet:)

FYP. ;)

Yeah, hopefuly the announcements will be over and done with in some sort of a reasonable timeframe tonight. Was far too dragged out last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I will like to see how many people casted a vote today

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Jester252 wrote: »

i'm expecting it to be down on last year.

this will favior the incumbents and known candadates ,

it's been a very poor week for campains anyway with paddys day over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Jester252 wrote: »

over 1k by noon apparently.

Take god there is some bit of atmosphere around today.
    Been so quiet all week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

1169 as of a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

leaoj wrote: »
    sure there was no obligation on you to attend the stables announcement...

Out of respect for my campaign team and the other candidates, I believe there was an obligation for myself to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Fixed the pavements near my house :)

So you won't vote in student elections because you feel you're not well-enough informed of the candidates' respective policies, but you'll vote in a national election for someone who can, and most definitely has, affected change in something we all use?

All because he fixed pavements?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Tonight. 8:30 in the Stables.

Gotta love internet voting! :P
    Why the fcuk can't they do it for general elections I don't know. Would save millions, and would save even more if they hadn't bought those electronic yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Voted online. I am enjoying the 'low-key' natureof this year's proceedings. I was on Co-Op last year and missed a dragon apparently :(

• Advertisement

Decryptor wrote: »
    Why the fcuk can't they do it for general elections I don't know. Would save millions, and would save even more if they hadn't bought those electronic yokes.

Probably security and scale reasons. I mean, organising a system for 12000 people to vote (of which only ~1/3 will actually vote) for a position, which let's face it, isn't exactly US President, is nothing compared to something for ~3million people who's votes will actually make some semblance of difference. AFAIK most countries still use the 'ole pen and paper. Must be a reason for it. :)

Advertisement