Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Undergraduate Dissertation

Options
  • 08-11-2015 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I'm a 3rd year Zoology student in UCD currently thinking about the dissertation I'll be doing in 4th year. I'd like to go abroad next summer to gather research for it and was wondering does anybody know of any good organisations/groups I could possibly do that with. I already know that Operation Wallacea is one some students do it with but that's not an option for me for financial reasons. That's the only one recommended by the school. I would also be interested in projects in Europe which they don't seem to offer much of i.e. involving lynx/wolves/bears,birds or marine mammals.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

There's a christian conservation organisation that do work in Europe. Tbh I know nothing about them, except knowing one or two people who worked with them after their degrees, but they might be worth looking into?

http://www.arocha.org/en/

Tbh unless you know someone with contacts and experience with an organisation I'd say it'd be very hard to organise, though at least you're trying to plan well in advance. That can only help!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

You could try some of the conservation societies for funding. e.g. www.conbio.org
    You'd have to prepare a very impressive research proposal to be in with a chance for funding to go abroad.

Also have a look for some researchers in the UK / US / Europe who are working on lynx / wolves / bears. Find a potential supervisor in UCD and propose getting in touch with the researcher studying wolves / bears / whatever. You'd need to fund it yourself probably.

There's a group in UCC studying lots of interesting topics in bird behaviour / ecology - you could look them up and contact the PI.
    Marine mammals-wise you could get in touch with someone from NUIG / UCC / GMIT or the Marine Institute - they do a lot of interesting research on seals and cetaceans. Even approach one of the marine researchers in UCD about it - they'd be happy that you're taking initiative and coming up with your own ideas. Terrestrial mammals-wise, UCD used to be the big spot for that but I don't know who replaced Tom Hayden. If you're into bats you could contact Emma Teeling. NUIG has a good group looking at terrestrial mammal behaviour and ecology.
    You'll get a list of projects by the way, and they're given out to students based on GPA. Claire Cave had a few mammal and bird-related projects on the go when I was there.
    Email lecturers anyway and ask what they're up to.

Advertisement