Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need Advice On Cooker Hood

Options
  • 04-10-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I need advice on what to do with my kitchen extractor fan. The kitchen is a conversion job so I’ve had to make some compromises.

The hob is on an exterior wall. However, almost exactly behind it, on the outside, is where the central heating burner is and there are two pipes running up the wall. I say, ‘almost exactly’ because there is probably an inch of wriggle room, but certainly no more. My question what to do, where to place my extractor? Currently I’m looking at the Whirlpool AKR503IX 60cm Stainless Steel Curved Glass Chimney Hood (a Which? Best Buy)
    I see two solutions:
    1. Fit an extractor with filters and just remember to replace regularly.
    2. Run the ducting into the kitchen loft, (I should say that the kitchen is an add on to a traditional two story house, but it is only single story.)
    Are there any other options?

Personally I see b. as been the better of the two options. If I were to go down that route would I have to buy a stronger extractor and would the extractor have to have an outside outlet or would it be OK just to let the steam escape into the loft. The loft is very well insulated with fibre glass and there is nothing else stored up there.

Are there any other possibilities that I’ve not thought of. It is not a busy kitchen, it is used mainly for one or two people.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

would relocating the pipes be too big a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

colm_mcm wrote: »
    would relocating the pipes be too big a job?
    I think so. That's the advice I got from a local plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Absolutely must NOT extract to loft.

Can you go sideways? Easy enough to make up a piece of stainless to cover the ducting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Just duct it straight through the loft and vent it out the roof.

If I might follow up on this post.

Neff are doing an Autumn trade in at the moment and I see three possible hoods within this promotion a 60, a 70 and a 90 cm unit

My hob is a 60cn induction and I was wondering if a Neff 60 cm hood would be sufficient for this hob?

I can see an advantage in going wider: you'll potentially capture more steam, maybe?

While I have the space for any of those units the 60cm unit would be more visually appealing. However if it were a choice between efficiency and looks efficiency would win hands down

Let me know your thinking

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't go with a 60cm hood if I were you. Ideally a 90cm if budget allows. Maybe 70 would do.
    You wouldn't regret having it too big as much as you would too small. It also kinda gives you freedom if you wanted to add a 30cm domino gas hob or something down the line.
    I went with 60 and it just doesn't do the job that well. I was limited in that I got a built in extractor and the wider ones would have wrecked the design of the kitchen.

Finally bought. A Bosch DWW09W450B Chimney Cooker Hood, Brushed Steel 90cm. From John Lewis: £248: £70 trade in as part of a Bosch promotion. Free delivery. Total price £178

Offered a tumble dryer but told it's unlikely the delivery people will lift it as they are only sub contractors on this side of the water to Lewis main British delivery company.

It will do for another time 😀

Advertisement