Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

They should play One In A Million for ****s and giggles, offend the easily offended..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    They should play One In A Million for ****s and giggles, offend the easily offended..
    Lithium being honest do you listen to that song and not get even slightly uncomfortable? I had my iPod or iPhone in those docking stations and I've never let one in a million be played.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Lithium being honest do you listen to that song and not get even slightly uncomfortable? I had my iPod or iPhone in those docking stations and I've never let one in a million be played.

I do listen to it, and no I don't get uncomfortable, it's just a song, which unfortunately has some lyrics that kicked up a ****storm for Axl and the band when it was released.. Hell they played it live at CBGB with the inflammatory words included, there wasn't any **** kicked up over it being played.. Sometimes people just get faux outraged for the sake of it..

And if we're breaking down One In A Million because of it's use of certain words, would you skip Back Off Bitch if it came on your iPod/iPhone due to the multiple uses of the word bitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Your crazy isn't a hilarious song but used to love her is a funny song when you know the actual backstory.

The whole lies album is actually a good album or ep or whatever you call it.

One in a million is a good song musically but in today's pc culture it's a non starter.

Well I think it's hilarious and so does my sister first time she heard playing in my car she laughed her ass off.

I do listen to it, and no I don't get uncomfortable, it's just a song, which unfortunately has some lyrics that kicked up a ****storm for Axl and the band when it was released.. Hell they played it live at CBGB with the inflammatory words included, there wasn't any **** kicked up over it being played.. Sometimes people just get faux outraged for the sake of it..

And if we're breaking down One In A Million because of it's use of certain words, would you skip Back Off Bitch if it came on your iPod/iPhone due to the multiple uses of the word bitch?

I just think one million is even more funny because can you imagine someone releasing that song now, there would be uproar. Hahaha.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    I just think one million is even more funny because can you imagine someone releasing that song now, there would be uproar. Hahaha.

Oh man the ****storm if it would be released today would be through the roof, though something tells me when it was released originally, Axl didn't really care until people read the lyrics, hell Slash is half black and he didn't seem to mind the song..

Oh man the ****storm if it would be released today would be through the roof, though something tells me when it was released originally, Axl didn't really care until people read the lyrics, hell Slash is half black and he didn't seem to mind the song..

Was the song actually realeased or was it just available on the Album, I can only remember patience being released and was there any other song released from that album?

fin12 wrote: »
    Was the song actually realeased or was it just available on the Album, I can only remember patience being released and was there any other song released from that album?

It was never actually released, Patience was the only song released as a single.

Lithium. Firstly I meant in public if you played the song to other people. I don't flinch when I listen on my own. And back off bitch doesn't have the same language in it that one in a million has lithium. I mean coma has less then pleasant lyrics in it.

Yeah slash is half black but in the late 1980s does slash strike you as a person who knew what day of the week it was ? I mean he probably hadn't a clue what axl had written in terms of lyrics.

Lithium. Firstly I meant in public if you played the song to other people. I don't flinch when I listen on my own. And back off bitch doesn't have the same language in it that one in a million has lithium. I mean coma has less then pleasant lyrics in it.

Yeah slash is half black but in the late 1980s does slash strike you as a person who knew what day of the week it was ? I mean he probably hadn't a clue what axl had written in terms of lyrics.

I have played it for others, they didn't see any problems with the lyrics, i'm sensing an agree to disagree situation here, and obviously Coma would be unpleasant as it's Axl singing about his failed suicide attempt..

• Advertisement

I have played it for others, they didn't see any problems with the lyrics, i'm sensing an agree to disagree situation here, and obviously Coma would be unpleasant as it's Axl singing about his failed suicide attempt..
    No lithium there isn't an agree to disagree situation happening. But do you agree that the lyrics in one in a millions can't or won't be played in 2016 ?

Also slash in 1988 was ****ing running through glass panels in a shower in Hawaii to get away for see through predators.

No lithium there isn't an agree to disagree situation happening. But do you agree that the lyrics in one in a millions can't or won't be played in 2016 ?

They should play the song regardless of lyrics/whatever anyone else thinks, they'd be protected under free speech.. If you get uppity about lyrics in a song, then you've your priorities seriously wrong..

TL;DR - It's a song, who gives a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

'One in a million' is one of my favourite Gn'R tunes. Strange to explain really other than the musicanship. Never hesitated to play it amongst friends but only because I know they can see it for what it is.. I think. Saw an interview one time with Slash complaining.....I hate the 'Toyko Live' recordings but if anyone can suggest a better version of 'The Godfather Theme' then do tell!

Am I still locked out cos I think the extra keyboardist is surplus to requirements?...Saw her sing the American national anthem the other day. Fine singin voice she has. Shouldn't be in Guns though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

RayK0309 wrote: »
    Am I still locked out cos I think the extra keyboardist is surplus to requirements?...Saw her sing the American national anthem the other day. Fine singin voice she has. Shouldn't be in Guns though..

I can't see the point in having Mellisa there either it's near impossible to make out her keyboard in the live mix and even though she can sing it's only in ohhh uh-huh part of jungle I can make her out
    I'm not been sexist before that flag gets raised couldn't see the point of chris pitman either
    I can just about get my head around having and extra keyboard / programmer the studio to bring Axl's vision of new Gnrs industrial sound to life for Chinese democracy
    but for the live setting it beats me
    Saying that Axl is the Genuis not me by a long shot and the little intricacies he hears on the record he probably wants to bring them to the live setting also no matter how insignificant they may seem to the long time fan

One in a million
    That song rocks in all its unapologetic glory
    it's a song about Axl moving from the idyllic central plains and small town upbringing to the hell hole/paradise (pick one) that was early eighties LA and to most folk the initial reaction to the diversity of walks of life in LA at that time would be fear and the first form of defence is to attack .
    One in a million captures that period in time brilliantly where Axl find himself in unfamiliar territory
    When ever I watch the start of video for welcome to the jungle it always reminds me of One in a million
    I'd never skip it when it comes on in company
    Anyway that's my take on it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I remember an interview back in the day where Slash said he didn't like the lyric and that his mother was upset about it. Same is true with Get in the Ring. The others thought calling people out like that was not cool but Axl didn't give a crap and did it anyway.
    Axl seems to have done as he pleased regardless of what the rest of the band thought.

Well said!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I remember an interview back in the day where Slash said he didn't like the lyric and that his mother was upset about it. Same is true with Get in the Ring. The others thought calling people out like that was not cool but Axl didn't give a crap and did it anyway.
    Axl seems to have done as he pleased regardless of what the rest of the band thought.

Axl in a nutshell really, some would applaud him for doing things his own way, others would scream dictator/control freak/insert whatever description you please..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

To bring on the rumour, a source I'd trust has said croke Park is on next July!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mushy wrote: »
    To bring on the rumour, a source I'd trust has said croke Park is on next July!

Wish they would just announce it

The next big secret MCD announcement will be Michael Buble and after that we might get Guns

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mate was informed of a Monday announcement!

Mushy wrote: »
    Mate was informed of a Monday announcement!

Cool hopefully tickets go on sale the week after I'm on holidays next week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Cool hopefully tickets go on sale the week after I'm on holidays next week

Robbie Williams tickets are out on Friday 11th of Nov.Unless they do it on a Thursday we should be fine (I am in the same boat)

Robbie Williams tickets are out on Friday 11th of Nov.Unless they do it on a Thursday we should be fine (I am in the same boat)

GNR Nightrain pre-sale is normally 3 days before general sale. I'm only going to Scotland so I imagine there's Wi-Fi there lol (I'll be back home on Wednesday night anyways)

Might go on sale Fri 17th Nov. Guess we just have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

IF it's on sale at the same time as yer man's gig, then it'll be an absolute nightmare trying to get through

I decided to read slashs autobiography for the first time in ages. I have to say he made a lovely job of the presentation.

I'm reading the part where Steven was fired. He's right when he says how stupid does it sound that Steven Adler got fired for doing drugs in guns n roses ? He says it straight out that it was hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I decided to read slashs autobiography for the first time in ages. I have to say he made a lovely job of the presentation.

I'm reading the part where Steven was fired. He's right when he says how stupid does it sound that Steven Adler got fired for doing drugs in guns n roses ? He says it straight out that it was hypocritical.

Shows how much of a dic(k)tator Axl was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Shows how much of a dic(k)tator Axl was.

not quiet Duff and Slash were "functioning addicts" were as Steven just couldn't hold it together

• Advertisement

I think Slash's comes across as a pretty big dickhead in that book, smashing up rooms and vans for da sake of it. Hate that ****. Duff seems like the soundest out of the lot of them.

Advertisement