Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Ryanair Issue

• 09-12-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

My wife & her sister had to travel to Gran Canaria at short notice as their brother was taken seriously ill.

They booked a Ryanair flight last minute from Shannon to Palma, not cheap but that's not the issue.

They both packed one piece of hand luggage ensuring to stay within the Ryanair guidelines. No problem on the outward journey.

A few days later, on the return flight, this time from Palma to Dublin, they were charged €40 each because their hand luggage did not fit into a measuring frame. This was despite the fact that both pieces of luggage were actually lighter than on the outbound journey as the didn't bother to bring back their toiletries etc. They were well within the Ryanair weight limits for hand luggage.

A number of other passengers had a similar experience. And worse still, they were bullied by the Ryanair staff who acted as if they were on some kind of bonus to penalise passengers.

In simple terms, another Ryanair rip off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was the bag within the size allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A bag could be empty but still be too big to carry onboard. The measurements are displayed on the boarding pass....

They are always very lenient at Irish airports about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I just would not fly with them ye man who owns it is just a money hungry
    greedy twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

The size of the baggage allowed onboard is well published. Its not a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

patwicklow wrote: »
    greedy twat.

He doesn't own them. He's the CEO. And if it's his money hungriness that has led to such cheap flights all around Europe then that's brilliant.

Ryanair is a no frills airline. Cheap and cheerful, but if you choose to fly with them you should know to stay within their rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Not a scam, but a well know major annoyance. They upped the charge recently too.

I think everyone has their hearts in their mouths when measuring the bags and I've seen people dump stuff on the ground to make the bag fit.

You really do get what you pay for with Ryanair, which is what makes them so brilliant, and also so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

greedy twat.

He runs a business. I would suggest that given any opportunity, any business would happily take all of your money. That is the entire idea of a business.

They are perfectly allowed to make rules for people who travel with them. If you don't like the rules, do as you did, and feck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Didn't Ryanair recently start paying commission to the bag-checkers (Servisair staff etc), to make sure the dimensions weren't being exceeded? Previously these staff didn't seem too bothered unless the bag was huge.

This cabin baggage situation really pisses me off. I bought a Targus laptop bag for just short of €100, and while it might be just about the right size, you can put a laptop in it, but precious little else before it gets dangerously close to the meagre weight limits imposed by Ryanair, and other airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

How is this a scam. Same as alot of airlines. Ive had this problem with both aer lingus and united and I just paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

They got away with having bags that were too big on the outbound journey then? You should be thanking them for saving your wife & sister €80 in that case.

There is no point chancing your arm with bags that don't fit measurement requirements with Ryanair... they're lax in Ireland, but hell everywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I don't feel entitled to cheap flights at all nevermind last minute, but thats not the issue the problem here is you expected them to turn a blind eye for your mistaketwice,

To ensure cheap flights they must do this, yes it is a pain in the arsé but ye's can't have good service and discretion with a low cost airline, those are the corners they cut.

Its not a scam as anyone can check the restrictions beforehand, reminds me of a lady in front of me at security who was giving out to the security guy for not using the plastic bag provided, yeah restrictions are annoying but why would you be treated differently. I'm just confused because you got fined once instead of twice, lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 benmad

Aer Lingus were looking for €220 for changing dates from May to June.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

A number of other passengers had a similar experience. And worse still, they were bullied by the Ryanair staff who acted as if they were on some kind of bonus to penalise passengers.

They are! I think spanish staff work on commission so are strict with the guide lines in comparison to the workers at the irish end.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Not a scam, but a well know major annoyance. They upped the charge recently too.

I think everyone has their hearts in their mouths when measuring the bags and I've seen people dump stuff on the ground to make the bag fit.

You really do get what you pay for with Ryanair, which is what makes them so brilliant, and also so annoying.

you will know next time to keep the bag allowance to what is specified, clearly.

did they not think of putting ithe bag nto the blue holder in before if was checked, to see what they could take out?

its not a scam, its called taking money off idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If you dont mind looking like a pleb.

Jacket_01_1344368a.jpg

https://www.rufusroo.com/shop/

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

My wife & her sister had to travel to Gran Canaria at short notice as their brother was taken seriously ill.

They booked a Ryanair flight last minute from Shannon to Palma, not cheap but that's not the issue.

They both packed one piece of hand luggage ensuring to stay within the Ryanair guidelines. No problem on the outward journey.

A few days later, on the return flight, this time from Palma to Dublin, they were charged €40 each because their hand luggage did not fit into a measuring frame. This was despite the fact that both pieces of luggage were actually lighter than on the outbound journey as the didn't bother to bring back their toiletries etc. They were well within the Ryanair weight limits for hand luggage.

In simple terms, another Ryanair rip off.

This is not a 'scam' - it's completely your own fault. The terms and conditions are there for a reason - read them.

If you have any decency you would (a) apologise for the defamation you've caused to the Airline and (b) ask a mod to alter the title to remove the word 'scam'.

I would suggest the following title: "I had to pay extra on Ryanair flight because I wasn't aware of the very, very well-known terms and conditions".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I'm sure they are on commission now.
    I've seen them do this the last few months more and more.
    And they always seem to pick on OAPs on their own first. Less likely to get an argument from them.

They accosted a woman sitting beside me at the check-in/boarding gate a few weeks ago. She told them her bag was within the limits, yet the box would not go over the bag. She refused to pay extra because her bags were within the limits, no matter what their box said. They got very snotty with her and were going to refuse her carriage.

A woman a few seats away took out a measuring tape, asked the guy what the limits were and he told her. She measured the first womans bag with the tape and it was a couple of centimeters in all directions smaller than their max dimensions.

She then offered to measure the ryanair measuring box for them to see if it was off. They refused and left on to the next victim. The woman got on the flight anyway.

Im carrying a rollup tape with me in future, because im certain their measuring devices are too small.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

greedy twat.

I always laugh when i see comments like this on hear. ''All they worry about is money'' ''They just think about profit'' What do people think, there just going to give them stuff for nothing or at a loss?

At the end of the day there are only one type of people that are miney hungery and greedy and it ant the businesses....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

This is not a 'scam' - it's completely your own fault. The terms and conditions are there for a reason - read them.

If you have any decency you would (a) apologise for the defamation you've caused to the Airline and (b) ask a mod to alter the title to remove the word 'scam'.

I would suggest the following title: "I had to pay extra on Ryanair flight because I wasn't aware of the very, very well-known terms and conditions".

You'll be waiting a wile for any of that to happen. If you notice they haven't posted since they started the thread, why ever would that be??

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

I'm 100% a ryanair fan. If your luggage doesn't fit the required dimensions you should pay. If its too heavy you should pay.

I kind of see it as being like speeding fines... you drive to fast, sometimes you get caught and you pay the fine - at the end of the day you know you shouldn't be speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mossy2

you will know next time to keep the bag allowance to what is specified, clearly.

did they not think of putting ithe bag nto the blue holder in before if was checked, to see what they could take out?

its not a scam, its called taking money off idiots.

Idiots? So these people are idiots to have fallen foul of one of Ryanair's little "revenue streams". Would it not have been more accurate to have ended your post: "its called taking money off the unwary"?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

mossy2 wrote: »
    Idiots? So these people are idiots to have fallen foul of one of Ryanair's little "revenue streams". Would it not have been more accurate to have ended your post: "its called taking money off the unwary"?

They didn’t fall foul of any revenue stream. They tried to break a rule and got caught and now complain about it. What is your problem?

Other airlines should take note of the way Ryanair do things and things could be better for the rest of us.

I flew from Manchester this weekend with Ryanair and from the time the first passengers got on board, to the time they closed the door was about 18 minutes.

I went out with another air line and because they were letting people on with all size of bags and more than one bag by the time the last 25% of people where getting on, they had no where to put their bags. They had to be taken off them and put in the hold which also delays the people on the other end. Because of this it took roughly 45 minuets to board and we were late taking off.

So if you try break the rules be prepared to be caught and pay the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

greedy twat.

God forbid a businessman might be in business to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Kieran Deafening Mudslide

When I fly, its anyone except RA.
    My last flight with them was when we were on honeymoon to the canaries. I had the flight and hotel booked and then they decided to cancel all flights for the summer because the local airport wouldn't capitulate to MOL's demands

We fly with a baby to europe a few times a year and choose AL who always give us the full row to make life easier.

it so nice using a service where the staff know what good customer service is.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

bandit197 wrote: »
    The size of the baggage allowed onboard is well published. Its not a scam.

Yes it possibly is. There was a piece on the BBC about 2 years ago (Watchdog??) where they showed that the sizer was smaller at the gate than it was at check-in. Was easy jet rather than Ryanair also, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

My last flight with them was when we were on honeymoon to the canaries. I had the flight and hotel booked and then they decided to cancel all flights for the summer because the local airport wouldn't capitulate to MOL's demands

We fly with a baby to europe a few times a year and choose AL who always give us the full row to make life easier.

You used ryanair for your honeymoon? Did you stay at the Holiday Inn as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Kieran Deafening Mudslide

syklops wrote: »

You used ryanair for your honeymoon? Did you stay at the Holiday Inn as well?
    we had no choice. AL didn't fly were we were going.
    we went from a zero star service to a five star one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thats a risk you take with any Airline when you book accomodation seperately.
    Options are to take out travel insurance or book through a IATA Bonded travel agent.

I have seen ryanair make the same provisions for families also.
    Recently on a flight back to Ireland they had reserved a row for an overweight woman and her epileptic child.

You can overcome the seating problem by paying for the priority boarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I find that rarely do they draw attention to the dimensions of the bag or the weight on the outward flight...they always sting you on the return though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Yes it possibly is. There was a piece on the BBC about 2 years ago (Watchdog??) where they showed that the sizer was smaller at the gate than it was at check-in. Was easy jet rather than Ryanair also, iirc.

Bring a tape measure with you and you'll find they wont let you measure the sizer.

Advertisement