Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about WordPress Installation and Historic emails (Register365)

• 16-09-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in, but I felt it might be the best for my query!

I am about to install WordPress for a local business, replacing their existing website, but I have two questions regarding their existing emails, and whether they will be there once I complete the following two items.

1) When I log into Register365, after clicking "1 Click Installs" I am informed to update the site configuration. This is the message I receive: "This site is configured to use an out-of-date, unsupported version of PHP. To upgrade to the latest version for free, please click on 'Scripts & 1-Click Installs', then 'PHP Version' from the menu on the left." If I update, will their emails remain there and not be deleted?

2) Also, once I get this done, I will be installing WordPress for them through the 1-Click Install, wiping their previous website, again, will their historic emails be there once I install WordPress?

Sorry if this question seems very basic! I have installed WordPress before on another domain but I didn't have to worry about emails as there was none prior to the installation!

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Installing, deleting, reinstalling WordPress won't affect your emails.
    Updating PHP should not affect them either.
    In general the only way of deleting the emails is by deleting the email accounts or closing the hosting account, barring accidents of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Thanks for your reply M.T.D. I thought as much with installing WordPress, but for the latest version of PHP I get this screen http://imgur.com/MG17Bmq . I'm actually quite reluctant to progress considering its asking for number of POP/IMAP accounts/users.

Should I contact Reg365 or just continue with the installation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

pjjk90 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply M.T.D. I thought as much with installing WordPress, but for the latest version of PHP I get this screen http://imgur.com/MG17Bmq . I'm actually quite reluctant to progress considering its asking for number of POP/IMAP accounts/users.

Should I contact Reg365 or just continue with the installation?

Talk to the hosting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

So long as you are not using an ancient version of php you will be fine installing wordpress.

I don't advise using one click installs from hosts either as often they are modified packages, Download it directly from wordpress and install it yourself. It is quite easy.

Is there an information area in the reg365 panel that tells you what version php is installed?

If not upload this script and visit it and let us know what version of php is running.
    echo phpversion();

Either way the actual wordpress installer will tell if you are using a version of php that won't work or if you are missing required modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're having host specific issues you need to talk to the hosting provider directly.
    As per Boards.ie rules you cannot talk about specific hosts ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement