Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cooking Club Week 4: Pecan Cinnamon Rolls

• 31-01-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

*apologies for lack of pictures for now, will have them uploaded later on, some technical issues.

This is a recipe has evolved from several I have found and tried of the last couple of years. Cinnamon Rolls are a really indulgent wintry comfort treat. We had these on Christmas morning. It certainly wouldn't be your everyday breakfast, or one for those on diet, as there is a bit of work involved but IMO it’s worth the payoff! Best enjoyed warm, fresh from the oven with a good cup of coffee, or with a side of ice cream for dessert.

The Cinnamon Roll has 3 main parts.
    1) The Dough
    2) The Filling and
    3) The Glaze
    We’ll start with the dough, which is a sweet bread dough. The ingredient amounts here will make two lots of dough, I stick to this as it uses a full sachet of yeast, rather than wasting the other half. It will keep well in the fridge for a couple of days, and I’m sure it would freeze, although I haven’t tried it myself. They never last that long here!! The recipe can be scaled up easily so I imagine these amounts for the dough could be halved if you didn’t want to make the extra.

The Dough
    Ingredients:
    575g Plain Flour, 75g flour plus extra for surfaces and kneading
    475ml Milk
    125g Butter
    125g Sugar
    Dried Fast Action Yeast (1 7g Sachet)*
    1 heaped teaspoon Baking powder

1) Add the milk, butter and Sugar to a pot and heat through on low, stirring to dissolve the sugar, until just before the milk reaches boiling point. Set the pot aside to cool.
    2) Once the mixture is warm and not hot, add the sachet of yeast. Adding the yeast while it is still hot will kill the yeast so be patient here. Let it sit on the surface for a minute, then stir gently and leave aside for a further 3-4 minutes.
    3) In a large mixing bowl, place the flour and make a well in the center. Slowly pour in the liquid yeast mix, incorporating all of the flour and stir until the mixture comes together well.
    4) Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave in a warm, draft free spot for a minimum of 1 hour.
    5) Once the dough has doubled in volume add 75g of flour and a heaped teaspoon of baking powder. Mix through thoroughly. It will still look wet and sticky, don’t worry about that.
    6) Turn the sticky dough out onto a floured worktop and knead through until the dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour as necessary. It is easiest to flour your hands well to avoid the worst of the sticking. Kneading to the right point usually takes me about 10-15 minutes. If you had a stand mixer and dough hook attachment you could use that either.
    7) Roll the dough into a ball and cut in half, set aside one batch and carry on with the other for filling.

The filling.
    Ingredients:
    200g Butter
    200g Caster sugar
    1 Heaped tbsp Cinnamon
    Pecan nuts (optional, could also substitute for walnuts or flaked almonds)

1) Preheat the oven to 200 degrees conventional or 180 for a fan oven.
    2) Place pecan nuts in a bag or between a tea towel and bash with a rolling pin/mallot.
    3) Melt butter in saucepan and add sugar and cinnamon once off the heat. Mix very well to form a buttery gooey paste.
    4) Roll out the dough to about half a centimetre in thickness, in a long rectangle shape.
    5) Spread out the filling mix leaving a small margin at the outer edges. At this stage you can add more butter/ cinnamon if you like, gooey and sticky is what you want to go for.
    6) Sprinkle over the broken up nuts.
    7) Roll the dough over, from the long end. Try to keep it tight and tuck in the ends once you are finished. Some of the filling might ooze out as you roll, don’t worry about that.
    8) Cut the roll into 1 inch sized slices. (I find a serrated knife good).
    9) Butter a large oven friendly dish, preferably round or oval but any will do. If it is a metal baking tin make sure you line it with parchment paper.
    10) Arrange the rolls in the baking dish as evenly spaced as possible.
    11) Place in the oven to cook for 35-45 mins, until the rolls are well browned and the tops are slightly crispy.

The glaze
    Ingredients:
    50ml Milk
    175g Icing Sugar
    1tsp Vanilla extract*
    If you aren’t a fan of vanilla or want a change, you could use maple syrup or a spoon of instant coffee granules in the milk instead.

1) Heat the milk in a sauce pan, add to sieved icing sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
    2) Mix well to form a runny paste
    3) Drizzle Generously over hot cinnamon rolls.
    4) Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Larry Bee

They look GREAT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ah for F*CKS sake!! Cinnamon rolls are one of my favourite things in the world. You couldn't have posted this before I gave up sugar?!!

Someday I will make these, for sure. Whenever I can eat sugar again without going straight back to crazy addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

These look amazing..... Stupid diet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Click the back button CLICK THE BACK BUTTON

Crap... too late. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Mr E wrote: »
    Click the back button CLICK THE BACK BUTTON

Crap... too late. :)

They are a little bit addictive. I may have already had two today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Your timing is amazing. My OH has a big birthday this week, he loves cinnamon so I was planning on making cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Had tonight set aside to research recipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Dear Jesus. I NEED these in my life. They have zero calories, right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh. I had one of these when on holiday in Canada...seriously tasty. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

These are sinful. Cinnabon come to mama.
    I shall bake them someday I promise :)

Lola, are the filling and glaze recipe for one batch then? I only plan to halve the dough recipe.

• Advertisement

Yes, filling and glaze will do one batch. Hope you enjoy and if you get a chance would love to see a picture! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Oh wow... I know what I'm doing on my next day off!

This turned out to be a disaster for me :(
    The dough was just too wet, even though I've thrown flour into it a bit at a time, many times. I was hoping once I roll it out, spread the filling, it'll be ok. But it was almost impossible to swissroll it back as it was still too wet. Baked it anyway, and it was just a flat mess.
    Didn't bother making the glaze cause I knew it wasn't going to turn out as it should.
    I don't know exactly why it went wrong, but I don't think I should've halved the recipe for the dough. Cause I followed everything else right to a T.
    If it's any consolation, it actually tasted lovely, although it's almost like a bread and butter pudding mess texture on the inside and toffee hard outside once cooled.
    Glad I tried it out, I will try it again in future and hope for a better result.
    Thanks Lola

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Made these this morning. Yum! I wasn't sure if the filling amounts was to be halved as well or not, so I made the full quantity but didn't use it all-i probably should have as the finished rolls weren't as sticky as I'd like! Didn't bother with the glaze out of laziness. Mine seemed to cook quite fast too, which is odd because my oven is normally slow... Took them out after 30 mins and they were already slightly overdone on top, so I'd keep a closer eye on them next time. Thanks Lola, they'll definitely be a regular thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oh dear God. There's nothing nicer than something "cinnamon-ey" with the coffee on a cold morning. And a big +1 to Cinnabon.

I'm going to try these at the weekend - everybody has been commenting how much weight I have been losing lately. Time to sort that out....

Just a random question - do these freeze well? It would be ideal to throw one in the laptop bag for coffee break during the working week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Just decided these are going to be made for breakfast on Christmas morning this year - can't wait!

I did that last year AngelDelight. I made them up on Christmas eve and just left chilling in the fridge overnight. Took out to come to room temp about 45 mins before cooking and they were perfect. 'Tis the season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Lola92 wrote: »
    I did that last year AngelDelight. I made them up on Christmas eve and just left chilling in the fridge overnight. Took out to come to room temp about 45 mins before cooking and they were perfect. 'Tis the season :)

Oh brilliant, I was just going to make the dough the night before but if I can do the whole thing apart from bake and glaze that'd be even better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Just decided these are going to be made for breakfast on Christmas morning this year - can't wait!

Me too :D
    Lola92 wrote: »

That's good to know, thanks.

Lola - I know you say in the recipe post that the dough can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days, is that strictly a couple of days as in 2 days or would it last 3 or 4 days?

I made these this morning and they turned out lovely.
    I had the oven at 200 instead of 180 so they got a little bit more well done than I would've liked but still yummy.
    The dough turned out so well, great recipe :D

2014-12-21114103_zps3d4c4dd2.jpg

2014-12-21124549_zps10bc2c06.jpg

2014-12-21125112_zps29fb52b5.jpg

2014-12-21131848_zpsc7127ae1.jpg

2014-12-21140103_zps94d8e57b.jpg

• Advertisement

I just decided to use the rest of the dough to make a second batch and I'm much happier with them :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you could use walnuts they taste very similar

I would leave out cinnamon as I hate cinnamon,as it over powers the taste

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

going to make two versions of this the traditional one and one peacans soaked in brandy and toasted in oven and crispy bacon without the sugar added to either just cream cheese and vanilla extract with cinnamon

My husband has said he would "eat these everyday" so they're a big hit in our house. Thanks Lola

Lola - I know you say in the recipe post that the dough can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days, is that strictly a couple of days as in 2 days or would it last 3 or 4 days?

Sorry 26sDrawkcab, I just saw your PM there, I havn't been online in a couple of days. To be honest, I have never been able to leave the dough more than two days, my willpower is pathetic, and cinnamon rolls are delish. I would imagine that another day or two wouldn't do any great harm but if you knew that would be the case you could make them up and freeze in a foil tray, have them ready to just pop straight into the oven!
    braddun wrote: »
    you could use walnuts they taste very similar
    I would leave out cinnamon as I hate cinnamon,as it over powers the taste

Yes, other nuts would also be suitable. I have used pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts and even almonds in a pinch. They wouldn't really be cinnamon rolls without the cinnamon. You could use some raisins if you wanted something more like a danish, but with sweet bread rather than pastry obviously. I saw a blog post once using very thinly sliced apples which had been softened in boiling water and custard. Chocolate chips are an option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Got around to making these day, omg, they are devine!

Couple of things though, I used quite a bit of flour for when I was kneading and rolling, is this normal? I was worried it may have an impact on the rolls.

Also the quantities for the filling and icing, I'm presuming that should be halved along with the the dough? I used all the filling on one half of the dough, and as I was rolling it a whole lot of it seeped out. It was only then I thought maybe I should have kept half if it back. They were still gorgeous though. I will need to make the other half before the diet starts on January 1st!

Advertisement