Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Announcement coming on ward at 4pm, apparently this could work out very well;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

buyer95 wrote: »

Appeal unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

paulgeog wrote: »
    Just wondering if Dan Man or anyone else can tell me how many of the Irish team are students or alumni of Colleges and Universities in USA, UK and particularly Ireland, and if the sports programs there made a significant contribution to the athletes progression.

Natalya Coyle (modern pentathlon) would be a TCD student at the moment if I remember correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The Buster wrote: »
    Any other thoughts - what "minority" sport could we try
    Well, we've won the world championships in olympic shotgun twice now, as well as european championships and world cups, all on minimal funding and with ridiculously restrictive laws, so how about we try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Denis Lynch also at CAS, and in non-appeal news, swimmer Grainne Murphy has confirmed she will not be competing in the 400m, for which she has the B-standard and is eligible, and will instead concentrate on her main 800m event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

buyer95 wrote: »

Appeal unsuccessful.

Decision put back to 9pm now? It seems like there wouldn't be this much delay if they weren't at least giving his case serious consideration. I wonder has he kept to his training schedule since the tripartite announcement went against him?

You'd have to feel sorry for the Montenegrin(?) who's place he's challenging here also, presumably he's already travelled to the UK to participate assuming this was all done and dusted.

Decision put back to 9pm now? It seems like there wouldn't be this much delay if they weren't at least giving his case serious consideration. I wonder has he kept to his training schedule since the tripartite announcement went against him?

You'd have to feel sorry for the Montenegrin(?) who's place he's challenging here also, presumably he's already travelled to the UK to participate assuming this was all done and dusted.

RTE Radio has just now reported that
    (1) He has kept up his training schedule to start competition August 4th
    (2) If he is successful at CAS tonight, it still has to go back to The WB? for a final decision (you read that correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

RTE Radio has just now reported that
    (1) He has kept up his training schedule to start competition August 4th
    (2) If he is successful at CAS tonight, it still has to go back to The WB? for a final decision (you read that correctly)

Irish Times are reporting that the appeal failed but that the CAS haven't made available the full report yet:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0726/1224320874053.html

The very best of luck to all the Irish athletes, coaches....... And a thank you to Dan, Dodge (et lots of Als) for all the great discussions, explanations, links, updates, grids, charts, profiles, photos, schedules etc. It's been an education! If the team gets half the support, interest and encouragement shown here, they'd surely be delighted. And very proud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The very best of luck to all the Irish athletes, coaches....... And a thank you to Dan, Dodge (et lots of Als) for all the great discussions, explanations, links, updates, grids, charts, profiles, photos, schedules etc. It's been an education! If the team gets half the support, interest and encouragement shown here, they'd surely be delighted. And very proud :)

+1. Well said Truman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'll have a full preview of all irish in action (times etc) tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Katie Taylor got a tough draw.

Possible fights against Queen Underwood (USA) in the Quarter Final and Cheg Dong (China) in the Semis.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/boxing/2012/0727/330861-taylor-faces-tough-route-for-london-gold/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tough draw for Queen Underwood!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Sounds like our boxing draws in general have not been great so far.

**Olympic Value alert**

Peter O Leary and David Burrows are 7/1 with PP to win their event in sailing (mens star class), however in their 'Irish medals specials' market, PP have them at 7/1 to win a medal

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/olympics/olympics-medal-special?ev_oc_grp_ids=749428

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Kieran Behan will be competing very early on, he is in subdivision 1 and his first event is floor. Starting at 11AM, he's fourth up in the first rotation- probably be on before 11:15. Only 8 can qualify to the floor finals and there's tough competition..go Kieran!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knockcon

KevIRL wrote: »
    **Olympic Value alert**

Peter O Leary and David Burrows are 7/1 with PP to win their event in sailing (mens star class), however in their 'Irish medals specials' market, PP have them at 7/1 to win a medal

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/olympics/olympics-medal-special?ev_oc_grp_ids=749428

Nicely spotted kev! Pity the max bet is capped! That's value indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

Earlier this week the Irish News reported that Boylesports had Katie Taylor at 1/4 to win the gold medal (not exactly good value) but had Ireland at 10/11 to win one gold medal.
    I dont know if Boylesports has amended this but this is essentially two prices for what is almost the same thing.
    Of course Ireland could win two gold medals.......but clearly 10/11 is a much better price than 1/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The very best of luck to all the Irish athletes, coaches....... And a thank you to Dan, Dodge (et lots of Als)
    And so say all of us. Much appreciated, Dan, Dodge etc..
    I hope that at least one of these threads continues after the Olympics. There is unfinished business, and I look forward to further discussion of e.g. the desirability of Ireland concentrating on specific sports, which ones should we concentrate on, Olympic clubs < and debate with Fitzjameshorse over the latter > etc.. There wont be much time to talk about the long term in the coming fortnight.
    I'll die happy when an Irish team return from a Summer Olympics with two gold and three bronze, better any way you look at it than Melbourne 1956, better than LA 1932.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Apologies if already posted but here's the Irish schedule

http://www.olympicsport.ie/news/5802-irish-athletes-schedule-part-1.html

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

If true, the person should not be allowed compete and sent home straight away.

Jesus. And that comes from an atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Lisa Kearney just had an agonising exit from the Judo.

She lost to the World Number 2 Wu Shugen of Chinaon a Golden score in the last 16 round, after the fight ended in a tie.

Great effort by Lisa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Skid wrote: »
    Lisa Kearney just had an agonising exit from the Judo.

She lost to the World Number 2 Wu Shugen of Chinaon a Golden score in the last 16 round, after the fight ended in a tie.

Great effort by Lisa.

Wu is world no.9 but you're right, that was a really gutsy performance....4 years stronger and more experience and she could do well in Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knockcon

Tomorrow is all about burrows and o'leary for me. A good start could see them well on their way to the podium.

As an aside, there are three separate threads going with pretty much the same content. This one, dodges daily diary and dans 'in action on day 2'. All good informative stuff for someone on the other side of the globe like me, but probably good to consolidate? Just a thought

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

knockcon wrote: »
    Tomorrow is all about burrows and o'leary for me. A good start could see them well on their way to the podium.

As an aside, there are three separate threads going with pretty much the same content. This one, dodges daily diary and dans 'in action on day 2'. All good informative stuff for someone on the other side of the globe like me, but probably good to consolidate? Just a thought

I think its great to have olympic threads that we can concentrate on. there may be one too many but I'll leave it to the experts...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2012/0728/330921-betting-scandal-claim-hits-team-ireland/[/Quote]
    Peter O'Leary says he placed the bet, but it was at a time before the anti-betting rule was in existence. I reckon he's ok then. If so, yesterday and today have been very good days for Ireland. All the serious medal contenders have come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

5 boxers in the last 16.

Rheinisch comfortably through to semis in Kayaking

Burrows/O'Leary well on course

Tomorrow could be huge if Aoife/Camilla can go clear over cross country in Eventing as they're not miles off medals

Annalise Murphy starts her campaign too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79976485#post79976485

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

feargale wrote: »
    Peter O'Leary says he placed the bet, but it was at a time before the anti-betting rule was in existence. I reckon he's ok then. If so, yesterday and today have been very good days for Ireland. All the serious medal contenders have come good.[/QUOTE]

Scrambling for technicalities. We all knew four years ago how inappropriate it is to bet on a competitor in any sporting event.

This story won't go away and will taint any possible success as it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement