Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle Marathon/Half-Marathon

• 12-07-2009 5:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone on here is doing it/thinking of doing it? I have registered for the half(although not sure if I'll be able to go ALL that way to run a half marathon when there is a marathon on offer too :D ) as a training run/warm up for the Dublin half/Dublin marathon, with the Dublin marathon as my goal race for Autumn.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Just wondering if anyone on here is doing it/thinking of doing it? I have registered for the half(although not sure if I'll be able to go ALL that way to run a half marathon when there is a marathon on offer too :D ) as a training run/warm up for the Dublin half/Dublin marathon, with the Dublin marathon as my goal race for Autumn.

Well it certainly is an attractive route, but on this occasion I am thinking €60 is too much. I'll run the Blarney Half the day before for €15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Well it certainly is an attractive route, but on this occasion I am thinking €60 is too much. I'll run the Blarney Half the day before for €15.

It's €70 now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

I had been considering this as well but decided it's too expensive for an inaugural (unknown) event.

Decided on Longford instead which is not cheap at €44 but at least it's flat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I was considering it, but I'm doing Longford two weeks before and the full Donegal Mooathon two weeks after it, so might be pushing it. Dont want to get injured before Dublin. But I might consider the half. Only problem is the hotel costs also, pushes up the whole bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

good call, this is too steep altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Have signed up for the full. Price was €60 at the time which seems about the norm for a marathon.
    Price for the half definitely too steep though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Would like to give it a go (Half) for preparation for DCM but I'll stick with RoyMc on this one and we can run up and down the hills of Blarney together ;).
    The cost is one of the prohibitive factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Now thats a good idea. I might look into that. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'm running the full marathon in Dingle. I couldn't possibly resist a marathon in Kerry and 60 Euros seemed pretty normal to me for a marathon.

Besides, the entry fee is only part of the costs involved. If I'm doing Dublin I spend that on petrol alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mickeybags

I have signed up for the marathon.
    As it will be my first stand alone marathon (have done a few Im's) I wanted a low key scenic event.
    Not too concerned about time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

I'm hoping to do the full in Dingle. I'm planning on doing the Longford full in August and Dublin full in October. I'm hoping those hills in Dingle aren't as bad as I imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

BJohnson wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do the full in Dingle. I'm planning on doing the Longford full in August and Dublin full in October. I'm hoping those hills in Dingle aren't as bad as I imagine!

3 marathons in 3 months!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    Go BJohnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

eliwallach wrote: »
    3 marathons in 3 months!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    Go BJohnson.

Haha - thanks! I'm hoping to do one of the Galway 14 this weekend, so make that 4 in 4 months! Let's hope these legs hold out alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Now that is ambitious!

I was thinking of doing the same then I realised that was a crazy idea, then I started thinking about doing Amsterdam, Dublin and New York...that was a really stupid thought though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ronanos

I'm in for the Dingle 1/2 marathon. It will be tough enough but I reckon the second half involves much more hills so will be rougher so I think the mini marathon will do me just fine!!!!

ronanos wrote: »
    I'm in for the Dingle 1/2 marathon. It will be tough enough but I reckon the second half involves much more hills so will be rougher so I think the mini marathon will do me just fine!!!!

I think you're correct. A bit less scenic as well. No wonder they're not charging to run the second 13.1 miles :)

Sooooo...I'm planning on heading down to Kerry on the Friday(still haven't booked any accomodation mind) where's the easiest to get the train to Tralee or Killarney? The whole travelling down thing is putting me off now, why can't Dingle have a damn train station. Buses from Killarney and Tralee aren't exactly regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

I'll be driving from Tralee on race morning if you want a lift. Running the full so if you don't mind waiting around there's a lift back. Send me pm if it suits

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ronanos

Tralee is the best to get to Dingle. I will be going by Tralee on the Friday so let me know if you need a lift.

I'm sure there is probably plenty of people in the same boat and you could all team together and get one of those hackney vans to drop ye out. Shouldnt be too expensive and would be a hell of a lot faster than the bus :)

• Advertisement

Yeah have been looking at the bus and the train(prefer train). I hate the peasant-mobile. :pac:

I'd be getting your accommodation booked as well, especially if you're planning on staying in or around Dingle town. Though it will be less mobbed once September arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Yeah have been looking at the bus and the train(prefer train). I hate the peasant-mobile. :pac:

The bus all the way? No, don't do that, complete nightmare!

You can also fly into Kerry airport in Farranfore, though transport from there might be an issue. The train stops in Farranfore as well (between Killarney and Tralee). It's probably slightly further distance wise, but you would be off the train earlier, so it might be a bit quicker. And you go a different road (via Castlemaine, Annascaul, Lispole), which might be a bit quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

would people be interested in photos from this - thinking of organising maybe 5 photographers to try photo everyone (or most of the people anyway) from 5 different locations and sell images at €12.50-€15 for a 10x8.

hopefully will do similar for the DCM or any other marathons/races that people want photos from.

I'm guessing that runners would appreciate professional photographs of themselves involved in races and this seems like a way to provide a service to the runners.

Please note: This will involve a lot of pre/post race work on my behalf as I will have to pay other photographers as well as go through every image for race numbers.
    Costs:
    - Photographers
    - Travel and Accomodation for photographers
    - Printing
    - Editing
    - Envelopes/Postage
    - Business Cards/flyers to give to runners letting those not on boards to know where they can get the images.

PS. will offer 10% discount to Boardsies - if I manage to organise this..... This is not me touting for work or advertising anything - just asking other boardsies if they think that other runners would be interested in images of themselves during the race, particularly as Dingle is so scenic.

TBH no, only race I've ever purchased photos of myself from is the Connemara Ultra and only because it was such a big event for me and I didn't look like I'd been hit by a bus in all of them. A lot of people are big into having their photos from races though, I think Dingle already have a camera crew organised though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CR7

I'd be getting your accommodation booked as well, especially if you're planning on staying in or around Dingle town. Though it will be less mobbed once September arrives.

Hi there, only a few days left before registration closes, Id really like to have a go at the half marathon, Im stepping up from 10ks this year. Since the hotels are so expensive are there any camp sites within walking distance of Dingle town for Friday and Sat night. Ill be partial to a few beers after this one.

Thanks

CR7 wrote: »
    Hi there, only a few days left before registration closes, Id really like to have a go at the half marathon, Im stepping up from 10ks this year. Since the hotels are so expensive are there any camp sites within walking distance of Dingle town for Friday and Sat night. Ill be partial to a few beers after this one.

Thanks

Here is the Dingle Tourism website There's a couple of campsites but you might also get a B&B pretty reasonable, especially outside of Dingle town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

PCPhoto wrote: »
    would people be interested in photos from this - thinking of organising maybe 5 photographers to try photo everyone (or most of the people anyway) from 5 different locations and sell images at €12.50-€15 for a 10x8.

hopefully will do similar for the DCM or any other marathons/races that people want photos from.

I'm guessing that runners would appreciate professional photographs of themselves involved in races and this seems like a way to provide a service to the runners.

Please note: This will involve a lot of pre/post race work on my behalf as I will have to pay other photographers as well as go through every image for race numbers.
    Costs:
    - Photographers
    - Travel and Accomodation for photographers
    - Printing
    - Editing
    - Envelopes/Postage
    - Business Cards/flyers to give to runners letting those not on boards to know where they can get the images.

PS. will offer 10% discount to Boardsies - if I manage to organise this..... This is not me touting for work or advertising anything - just asking other boardsies if they think that other runners would be interested in images of themselves during the race, particularly as Dingle is so scenic.

Dingle already have official race photographers signed up for the event. It's marathon-photos.com

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I'll be driving from Tralee on race morning if you want a lift. Running the full so if you don't mind waiting around there's a lift back. Send me pm if it suits

Wally has signed up for this and will know for sure next week if it is all go. Just wondering if there was any development on sharing travel from Tralee etc. I want to avoid having to drive down (from Dublin) and back so I was going for the train option.

Happy to chip in for petrol or taxi and all that. Set to run the full.

Wally.

• Advertisement

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Wally has signed up for this and will know for sure next week if it is all go. Just wondering if there was any development on sharing travel from Tralee etc. I want to avoid having to drive down (from Dublin) and back so I was going for the train option.

Happy to chip in for petrol or taxi and all that. Set to run the full.

Wally.

Are you staying in Tralee or Dingle?

I've booked a room in Dingle for the Friday night and plan on travelling back on Saturday evening.

Advertisement