Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards/Functionality Available - December 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I don't think this is it.
    The bus should know where it is, I mean how would real time passenger info work without this?
    The driver should also update the stage/location of the bus too, so there's 2 systems telling the bus where it is.

Twice I put my card on the drivers panel, told the driver the craic, he pressed whatever buttons he needed, and rested his citiog on his lap as if he was done, I moved my card and was called back as there was a card read error.

Even ignoring the card read error, the time until I started to move my card was much longer than a cash transaction would have taken.

The above (all too frequent) scenario usually occurs when other cards are simultaneously presented to the remote validator.

The Remote Validator is in constant communication with the Drivers Machine allowing for the display of whatever ticket mode has been validated.

If there is a Machine Based Transaction actually ongoing at that time,the machine cannot process the two simultaneously,which usually in a "Card Read Error".

As the numbers of Leapcard users and range of cards has increased,so too has the above problem.

There are also,far less frequent,cases of dead Leapcards,which refuse to read at all,but these are rare enough to discount.

The interfacing of the Ticket Machine with the GPS will soon be enabled,but currently the Ticket Machine settings do not synch with the GPS.

It is obvious to all,except it seems Senior Leapcard people,that the 500ms per transaction target is nowhere near being met in normal use.

This is frustrating for both Drivers and Customers,and even more so when one compares it to the TfL Oystercard target of 300ms per transaction.

It is without doubt a major impediment to the further success of Leapcard,and equally,it should never have been allowed to develop into the problem it currently is.

10 years and €40 Million,of time and money invested,really should have ensured this situation never occurred. :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

ryanf1 wrote: »
    What is the difference with the validator on the right hand side and the one on the drivers ticket machine?

You use the right hand validator to deduct €2.60 fare, or if you have a Dublin Bus Rambler ticket loaded onto the card, to use a day from that ticket.

You also use it to validate period passes.

Otherwise, all other fares are deducted at the driver's machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I bought a new adult Leap Card, paid the 5 euro refundable deposit on it and got a 30 day adult rambler on it. I assume it will still work okay even though I haven't loaded any travel credit onto it and only have the rambler ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

lxflyer wrote: »
    You use the right hand validator to deduct €2.60 fare, or if you have a Dublin Bus Rambler ticket loaded onto the card, to use a day from that ticket.

You also use it to validate period passes.

Otherwise, all other fares are deducted at the driver's machine.

So if your fare is more/less than €2.60 you don't use it?

I bought a new adult Leap Card, paid the 5 euro refundable deposit on it and got a 30 day adult rambler on it. I assume it will still work okay even though I haven't loaded any travel credit onto it and only have the rambler ticket?

It will indeed - just use the right hand validator.

• Advertisement

ryanf1 wrote: »
    So if your fare is more/less than €2.60 you don't use it?

Correct if you are using the epurse.

On normal Dublin Bus services there are only two other LEAP fares (€1.50 and €2.05) which you get from the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the time until I started to move my card was much longer than a cash transaction would have taken.

Even now that the Galway drivers (well most of 'em :) ) have got used to Leap, we're still seeing that: Leap payments are taking far longer than cash ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is there any benefit to using LeapCard on the Cork/Midleton/Cobh line atm?

Is it the same price to get the normal monthly ticket inside the station as it is to use the LeapCard ticket?

titan18 wrote: »
    Is there any benefit to using LeapCard on the Cork/Midleton/Cobh line atm?

Is it the same price to get the normal monthly ticket inside the station as it is to use the LeapCard ticket?

No difference in price.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Apologies if this isn't the place but...

...I have a LEAP card that had my Annual Dublin Bus-only 2014 ticket loaded.

I haven't received a new card, nor has my 2015 ticket been loaded onto my current LEAP card (have confirmed with my company that it was ordered). Do I need to activate my 2015 ticket anywhere?

• Advertisement

jenizzle wrote: »
    Apologies if this isn't the place but...

...I have a LEAP card that had my Annual Dublin Bus-only 2014 ticket loaded.

I haven't received a new card, nor has my 2015 ticket been loaded onto my current LEAP card (have confirmed with my company that it was ordered). Do I need to activate my 2015 ticket anywhere?

Go to any Payzone agent and ask them to do a balance enquiry.

Your 2015 ticket should then be loaded onto your card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mine updated when I used the train this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

BostonB wrote: »
    Mine updated when I used the train this morning.

I think it works differently for trains.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I think it works differently for trains.

Correct - Bus ticket holders need to go to a Payzone agent.

Correct - Bus ticket holders need to go to a Payzone agent.

Out of curiosity is it possible to get the card loaded at a Luas stop?

Out of curiosity is it possible to get the card loaded at a Luas stop?

Not if it is a Dublin Bus ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Hi guys, have the annual bus and luas leap card. With my card last year, I never had to tag on or off when using the luas. Is it the same with this card or do I need to tag on? Tried looking it up on the tax saver website but couldn't find any information.

You are supposed to tag on and off LUAS every time you use it.

With an annual pass you'll get away with just tagging on.

The same policy applied in 2014 btw.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Go to any Payzone agent and ask them to do a balance enquiry.

Your 2015 ticket should then be loaded onto your card.

This did the job, thanks! Saw on the website that this was the procedure for other DB tickets but there was no mention of it (from what I could see) working for annual tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

You are supposed to tag on and off LUAS every time you use it.

With an annual pass you'll get away with just tagging on.

The same policy applied in 2014 btw.

Thanks for that. Last year my ticket wasn't a leap one, that's why I wasn't sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone ever had to block one and how long it took? I dropped mine yesterday and didn't notice til going home about 12 hours later and can see that someone has used it at least twice since yesterday. I reported it missing this morning thinking it was in work, but they essentially said (as do their T&C) that my money's gone

I am looking for some advice. I will be making a trip tomorrow and plan on using my leapcard. I will be travelling from busaras to Navan, do I just ask the driver for a day return and present my card and how does it work on the way back?

I am looking for some advice. I will be making a trip tomorrow and plan on using my leapcard. I will be travelling from busaras to Navan, do I just ask the driver for a day return and present my card and how does it work on the way back?

You cannot purchase return tickets on LEAP as these are promotional products.

You can only buy:
    - Single ticket @ 20% discount on cash
    - 24 hour zonal ticket offering 24 hours unlimited travel on Bus Eireann within that zone
    - 7 day zonal ticket offering 24 hours unlimited travel on Bus Eireann within that zone

For Dublin-Navan the day return options are:
    1) Cash - €18
    2) Online at www.buseireann.ie - €17.10
    3) 24 hour Blue Zone ticket - €17.15

If you are buying the latter, just ask the driver for a 24 hour blue zone ticket, and then on any subsequent bus just put the card on the ticket machine.

Worth noting that from Feb 2nd the Multi-Journey Leapcard 90 Discount/Rebate becomes Multi-Modal across Dart/Luas services also.

The rebate will operate in both directions,ie: the initial activating journey can be on any of the modes,with the rebate taken from whichever mode is used subsequently within the 90 minute timeframe.

The traditionalists are slowly being deprived of reasons NOT to get a Leapcard ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Worth noting that from Feb 2nd the Multi-Journey Leapcard 90 Discount/Rebate becomes Multi-Modal across Dart/Luas services also.

The rebate will operate in both directions,ie: the initial activating journey can be on any of the modes,with the rebate taken from whichever mode is used subsequently within the 90 minute timeframe.

The traditionalists are slowly being deprived of reasons NOT to get a Leapcard ;)

That's going to make a big difference - and make multi-mode trips more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's still those "single tickets" as they're now called in the airport;)

An actual 90 minute ticket like so many other metropolitan regions seem to be able to issue for their public transport. Is the travel 90 €3.05 now?? It will be cheaper to use one of those for most kinds of 2-bus journey in Dublin.

There's still those "single tickets" as they're now called in the airport;)

An actual 90 minute ticket like so many other metropolitan regions seem to be able to issue for their public transport. Is the travel 90 €3.05 now?? It will be cheaper to use one of those for most kinds of 2-bus journey in Dublin.

The Vending Machine T90 single ticket is,from memory,€2.95.

It has to be viewed in the context of the NTA's policy to reduce the Travel 90 product's attractiveness when compared to Leapcard PAYG.

This has largely occurred systemwide,with the Airport being the only location where the single T90 is marketed.

With the arrival of Swiftway services to the Airport,we can expect a significant overhaul of ALL ticketing options there within the next 12-18 months.

The Vending Machine T90 single ticket is,from memory,€2.95.
    I found out earlier, it's 3.10 it seems. I'm pretty sure it was increased not too long ago but I didn't know by how much.

With regards multi-modal transfers, it's welcome to see this extension of functionality but for bus users it's a bitter pill to swallow when the functionality and value for money offered by travel 90s for years and years is replaced with such a compromise.

Swiftway is a long way from actual provision and implementation though I can think of Summerhill drivers who think otherwise... I'll be surprised and fascinated if they get it done by the middle of 2016.

I found out earlier, it's 3.10 it seems. I'm pretty sure it was increased not too long ago but I didn't know by how much.

With regards multi-modal transfers, it's welcome to see this extension of functionality but for bus users it's a bitter pill to swallow when the functionality and value for money offered by travel 90s for years and years is replaced with such a compromise.

Swiftway is a long way from actual provision and implementation though I can think of Summerhill drivers who think otherwise... I'll be surprised and fascinated if they get it done by the middle of 2016.

The very successful Travel 90,was an inevitable casuality of the ITS programme,as it was company specific and popular....too popular.

The decision to reduce it's popularity rested with the NTA,but was taken in the context of the far larger ITS picture,the various elements of which are slowly...so slowly now being put in place.

As for Swiftway,irrespective of the thoughts of Drivers,the project is underway.

While I would have certain misgivings as to the greater €600 Million region wide BRT scheme,it is entirely likely that the Swords/Airport Spur BRT will be up and running in late 2017...assuming the availibility of funding.

• Advertisement

While I would have certain misgivings as to the greater €600 Million region wide BRT scheme,it is entirely likely that the Swords/Airport Spur BRT will be up and running in late 2017...assuming the availibility of funding.
    Your previous comment implied that Swiftway's arrival would pave the way for fare alterations of all kinds from the airport. Do you mean that you expect fare changes of some kind relevant to the airport, in 12 to 18 months even if Swiftway is perhaps 3 years away? I can believe Swiftway to Swords could be provisioned in 3 years, whatever about 18 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement