Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Project management scenario

Options
  • 18-09-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I have this scenario:

You have been hired as an analyst in Company X. Company X is a general IT services company that builds customized solutions for clients. Company X has won a services contract to build a content management system for Company Y. Company Y is a book publisher. They have been publishing books for the last 70 years and their current systems are based on mainframe technology. The content management system is to replace their existing mainframe system. Company Y has a small IT department that maintain the existing system with some outside support. Most of the users of the system working within Company Y have been with the company for greater than 10 years, with some far longer than this. Company Y has approx 70 employees and uses a range of different technologies for their business and operational support systems.

As an analyst for Company X, give an outline of how you would expect to tackle the analysis for this project. Please discuss in terms of definition of scope, analysis methodologies and approach with reference to how the analysis work will fit into the over all project.

I need help with the analysis and methodologies to use. Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

Your lecturers notes should be the one giving you the help . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 powerpaul91

I don't have any lecturer notes I'm not in college that's why I was looking for help

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fingers!

Is analyst at Company X a graduate or what kind of previous experience has he/she?

The analyst at company X is a graduate/junior employee

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If you've been hired for the role why are you posting on the internet for help?

• Advertisement

I haven't been hired for any role I'm looking for help to solve the problem for my own knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Stheno wrote: »
    If you've been hired for the role why are you posting on the internet for help?

What? I spend half my time on the internet looking for help with my job??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I haven't been hired for any role I'm looking for help to solve the problem for my own knowledge
    It's fairly simple, engage with the business to understand requirements, understand business process and document those requirements. Use that to produce tech spec etc
    azzeretti wrote: »
    What? I spend half my time on the internet looking for help with my job??

Really? OP is asking a fairly basic question, I might have to google specific tech terms the techs I work with come up with but less than 5% of my time is spent doing that.

I think what the OP is asking is a bit basic tbh

I didn't mean to spark a debate here I just wanted a basic rough solution to this question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Smells like homework to me.

• Advertisement

Beano wrote: »
    Smells like homework to me.

I'm not a student and I have not been hired for a role for this I am simply looking for a simple answer as all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I am simply looking for a simple answer as all
    There you go.

Wow. Real mature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Wow. Real mature

That's an extremely detailed scenario for you to just come up with out of curiosity.

Corinthian isn't wrong. You should be googling the various aspects and stages of software development and reading about them, instead of writing such a detailed scenario and expecting someone to spell out the fundamentals for you. There is no shortage of material out there on this subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Sounds a bit too much like homework to me, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement