Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway to Belfast?

• 29-09-2008 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭

..Via public (or private) bus - any ideas?
    Yet again I am trapsing across the country with no car.
    Need to be there Thurs for an interview thing, my time may be flexible, but I have to be up and down by Thurs night (late).

Seems like Bus Eireann won't do it - any ideas? Dublin first?
    Thanks guys.
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Per http://www.buseireann.ie/bubble.php?id=57, both 65 and 78 are routes to Belfast from Galway (65 along the NW coast, 78 directly through the midlands). I took 78 the once because I wanted to have lunch with someone in Cavan enroute.

Basically, both take longer and are less flexible than going Galway to Dublin and then Dublin to Belfast. They may be a little cheaper tho, but likely not worth it. Esp since you could do the train via the Dublin route (tho you'd have to switch stations in Dublin).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is a BusÉireann service to Belfast
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202290297-65.pdf

Otherwise a train to dublin and then belfast is about €90

Either way, it's a trip of 6 hours to get there and probably requires an overnight stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Rent out a car at galway airport...drive up and down. Galway - Dublin - Belfast. If it was something as important as a job interview I wouldn't trust public transport to get me there on time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭pokerkingsni

Bus Eireann have a bus every hour from Dublin to Belfast and vice versa.

There is a bus from Galway<>Dublin running through the night. gobus .ie.

I find using these means you have lots of flexability timewise. I travel up and down to Belfast every few weeks on the bus and i find using these services the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Littlemonkey

You could Fly... www.aerarann.com flew up once, was there in 45 minutes, it was great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You could Fly... www.aerarann.com flew up once, was there in 45 minutes, it was great!
    No one runs that route any more since FlyBE stopped it around about the start of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Train is uber expensive!

Two options and I've done both.
    Bus to Dublin and there is an excellent service Dublin to Belfast.
    Bus to Sligo and then to Enniskillen, then you get another bus to Belfast

I dunno which is faster. A long journey either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thanks lads!
    Did I mention that I am one of the 10 people in Ireland who does not know *how* to drive:rolleyes:
    Otherwise, yes, I would rent or borrow.

Via Dublin seems only way. If I can wangle it with the trains I might cough up, flying would have been fun tho..

I work freelance, so it is a *gig* interview really, and taking a risk there with forking out for a maybe, but ah well.

Appreciate the help lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I think the cheapest way to do it would be the airport direct buses, that way you avoid the city centre in Dublin altogether. Certainly the Dublin airport -> Belfast bus is supposed to be fast and cheap. So I've heard ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

dafunk wrote: »
    I think the cheapest way to do it would be the airport direct buses, that way you avoid the city centre in Dublin altogether. Certainly the Dublin airport -> Belfast bus is supposed to be fast and cheap. So I've heard ...

Good call!
    No need for you to go into Dublin city centre if you can avoid it OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'm going up the next day and I've posted the details on the carpool group on Kotalk. We're trying to encourage cyberhitching. It's only started and it's a small group but it's growing

So if anyone's going to Shannon on the 16 of October...

http://www.kotalk.com/group.php?group_id=3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Airport Bus was my choice, yes, thanks guys.
    I may have convinced a friend to drive me Thurs tho! :)
    Jaysus Greaney, I think yet again we are going to the same place :)
    I do need to try to go Thurs tho, but if that changes I will be in touch!
    And thanks for that site link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Anyone know how much a student return costs, the option of Galway-Belfast isn't on BusÉireanns website

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

PomBear wrote: »
    Anyone know how much a student return costs, the option of Galway-Belfast isn't on BusÉireanns website

No. But it may be cheaper to GoBus.ie it to Dublin airport, and pay the student fare from there. Even with different companies involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Usually when you travel it's: either you have money, or you have time - can't have both ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

Gobus to Dublin city centre, walk to Busaras and get on one of the hourly (as in on the hour, 24 hours a day) buses to Belfast. a total of 20 euro single or 40 euro return. Its 5euro each way more if you change at the airport as strangely bus eireann charge the same from the airport to Belfast as they do from Busaras. Absolutely painless in my experience as the Belfast buses are non stop until they get to Newry. Total journey time around 5.5 hours which is just as good as the train...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 godebaba

hello dear pls anyone in galway going to belfast and we can share the fuel? how how many hours will it take us there? and where is the short cut to belfast galway or dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

godebaba wrote: »
    hello dear pls anyone in galway going to belfast and we can share the fuel? how how many hours will it take us there? and where is the short cut to belfast galway or dublin?
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360942462-065sum.pdf Bus Eireann have three services a day between Galway and Belfast

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Quickest way is Gobus or Citylink from Galway to Dublin City (2hrs 30 mins) then Aircoach from Dublin City to Belfast (2hrs 20 mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

foggy_lad wrote: »
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360942462-065sum.pdf Bus Eireann have three services a day between Galway and Belfast

Much faster via Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

godebaba wrote: »
    hello dear pls anyone in galway going to belfast and we can share the fuel?
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Galway+to+Belfast,+United+Kingdom&saddr=Galway&daddr=Belfast,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=53.846046,-7.382812&spn=3.318912,10.821533&sll=53.32432,-6.251695&sspn=0.209983,0.676346&geocode=FR_YLAMdZM51_yn_Wy1alZNbSDGBUkkKRBsrAw%3BFaUWQQMdeIOl_yk7itDX_f9gSDExxcfvLBZXLg&oq=galway+to+belfast&t=m&z=7

Assuming you take a break, it should take 4-4.5 hours. Assuming you can avoid rush hour at Dublin and Belfast, going via Dublin would make much more sense - slightly longer, and some small tolls (<€10 each way), but much better roads, so it is faster and less stressful. I'm not sure how much fuel costs would be.

Relatively few people would make the trip.

Advertisement