Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry cycle

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

penexpers wrote: »
    I was walking around the start at about 6am last year and even then there were people setting off.
    More fool them, they missed the bishop.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    More fool them, they missed the bishop.

The bishop rocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

el tonto wrote: »
    The bishop rocked.

A bishop?? To bless everyone so they have a safe ride??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

alfalad wrote: »

Got it in one.

In fact, I'm going to write to Orwell and ask why they didn't have a bishop on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Got it in one.

Very Kerry, but still a nice touch I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Bib thing

Wow, it's true
    To participate each cyclist must wear the official bib. You will obtain same on registration.

Raam wrote: »
    Bib thing

Wow, it's true

Fold up. Place in jersey pocket. Remove to claim sandwiches at rest stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Fold up. Place in jersey pocket. Remove to claim sandwiches at rest stops.

I was thinking of hanging it off the back of my helmet and letting it flap in the wind. You know, just cos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Spore

Right that's it, I've had just about enough of...

...being a spectator in the great drama of life! I'm doing the Ring of Kerry, who's with me? I just bought This guy's bike I've got relations in Tralee... I'm reasonably fit but I've no experience of serious road racing and I've never cycled in a pack. Any kindly souls out there want to assemble a crew with a complete Noob?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

alfalad wrote: »
    He also controlled the weather, it had been grey and threatening but when the bishop came out the clouds parted and it was sunny all day* No joke. We could do with one for Saturday spins, any bishops lurking on Boards?

*if you were quick enough getting back, I had a bit of rain on the last leg after the descent off Moll's Gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah I think I might do it. Not keen on the bib thing, but I like the roll it up idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    any bishops lurking on Boards?

Not a bishop, but me dad's a vicar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

rottenhat wrote: »
    I'll be in Kenmare next week with the bike. What would you say are the cycling high points (quality and/or altitude)? Weather permitting, I should be able to get in four or five decent spins so feel free to go on at length.

Definitely agree with the suggestion of doing the Lost Sheep Half Ironman course. Two feature climbs but neither are particularly steep. Great scenery though. You really won't regret it.

For something more challenging, it has to be the Priest's Leap. It's a climber's climb with no possibility of finding a rhythm. The numbers (450m gained in ~6km) don't come remotely close to doing it justice because most of the elevation gain is in a series of savage pitches and there's even a little bit of downhill thrown in here and there for good measure.

I plotted the following course in response to another boards.ie a few months ago. It starts and finishes in Kenmare and includes the Priest's Leap and a lot of other nice climbs, some of which are barely known:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/kenmare/406089536399

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

There was an etape training weekend in kenmare a couple of weeks ago that is reviewed here on the worldwide cycles blog giving 3 good routes http://worldwidecyclesblog.com/2009/04/21/letape-diary-part-3-camp-kenmare/
    Was down in kenmare around paddys weekend and did the ring of kerry and the ring of beara on consecutive days and i have to agree with previous posts here, the rok is a nice cycle easily achieveable for anyone with a couple of century spins behind them and the ring of beara is a far more challenging, pretty and interesting route
    will be doing the ring of kerry this year but will probably start from kenmare because i have free accommodation there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

cunavalos wrote: »
    will be doing the ring of kerry this year but will probably start from kenmare because i have free accommodation there

If you want some company on the cycle from Kenmare to Killarney that morning, then let me know - I know a few folks who will be setting off early in the morning.

Advertisement