Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Important traffic problem - City of Limerick

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

or if the wardens we do have were more effective instead of patrolling way up places like Wolfe tone street, Edward Street, up top of Mulgrave Street (but leaving the cars parked outside Leonards Garage alone) and handing out tickets for people 10 minutes over time. its a joke that William Street isn't properly properly patrolled.

...and as for the 'car park' outside Pier One Hotel on Sarsfield Street - what's the story with parking there? It's marked as a loading area but a certain few cars are always parked there throughout the day. Have they some sort of diplomatic immunity from the traffic wardens or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The parking that is permitted on Bedford Row, Lower Thomas Street and Little Catherine Street particularly on Sundays is a complete joke too. What is the point spending millions on upgrading and pedestrianising streets only to allow them become a parking free for all once more?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yeah the Leonard's Garage one really annoys me. I saw them one morning put their own cars bumper to bumper with a car who had the audacity to park there overnight in the legal spaces. Ive seen the new traffic wardens walk passed those cars without even checking them. No way they have permits for those spaces.

There is a lady driving around in a council van with a radio who tells the guys were the offenders are as well. I saw a car the other day on Clancy strand with a ticket so they get around alright. Shame they can't do anything about the offenders who sit in their cars blocking traffic because they'll just go around the block if challenged.

Mainly, irish school parents on thomas street, taxis and anybody on william street in the right lane.

Had another look on sexton street for road markings and the signage.

No advance signage and no road markings. Only sign directing you in what lane to choose is vague. I guess different people will see different things from the sign attached.

You could say there should be three lanes in existence but there's only two. I'm in the right lane so is it saying I should be going onto wickham street?

Is the left lane the middle lane and where's the left lane or is it telling us that when we get onto the junction, where there are 3 lanes, that we should then be following the sign? Well if that was be case then the right lane shouldn't say local traffic because it's the same as the Middle lane going down Roches street.

Personally I choose the right lane on sexton street for both roches street and wickham street.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

tippman1 wrote: »
    ...and as for the 'car park' outside Pier One Hotel on Sarsfield Street - what's the story with parking there? It's marked as a loading area but a certain few cars are always parked there throughout the day. Have they some sort of diplomatic immunity from the traffic wardens or something?

One guy used to park his Golf on the footpath :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya that sign at the end of sexton street is really only telling you what the next three lanes are for. There is nothing to tell you what lane you should be in in sexton street. The left lane should just be for Parnell street to avoid confusion. Mark it as so. There have been two crashes already, caused by people in both the right and left lanes going down roches street. The angles of one road onto the other actually make it awkward to go from the right hand lane on sexton street, to the right hand lane on Gerard Griffin street/Parnell street lights and then to swing around onto roches street without veering slightly towards the cars on the left.

I've seen people in the right lane of sexton street, heading for Roches street, hold their car into the middle lane on the junction to block those in the left lane trying to get onto Roches street. A fine mess the junction is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sometimes lanes are tricky.

Supposing you're not from Limerick, to turn left onto Sarsfield Street and over the bridge, you really need to be in the right lane on Sexton Street to be in the left lane on Roches Street! How are you supposed to know that if you've never driven that route before? :pac:

That's why I hate driving in unfamiliar places! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

Is the consistent thing on this thread not that people are not as familiar with the rules of the road as they should be, and/or aren't paying enough attention to the signs and road markings that are there.

people should have to renew at least the theory test (personally I'd rather they repeat the whole thing) every couple of years.

If we all followed the rules, it'll all go much easier for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Bit of a combination of both. Some roads are marking badly and there is nothing to suggest who has right of way in certain places and also some people just like to blatantly ignore the rules of the road and how to use lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

tippman1 wrote: »

I walked past Pier I this evening around 4pm and up William St.
    Took these pics on my phone. Typical parking scenario, I'd say.

10968542_10204375878769326_3696167430422428748_n.jpg?oh=1794726875c5aee6d2bbb23b4f5a3c90&oe=555F182E&__gda__=1431735747_3b10ec2b5e092b80a13bc0d74c8edb30

10958929_10204375878849328_7351837104592530500_n.jpg?oh=549c912a35540469b5e9e2e0db8b01d2&oe=55964332&__gda__=1435574861_504f2d0a0174559e65fca84fa281a651

10984070_10204375878889329_1228430975747955335_n.jpg?oh=7e638581e51b0a8d2a796e65522c1c4d&oe=558E6878

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The "most important traffic problem" in Limerick City has to be the prevalence of
    jaywalkers that inhabit the Lr. O'Connell Street region.The council would urgently need to implement a programme of "cullling" in the hope of eradicating this ever-growing and uncontrollable species.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

chicorytip wrote: »
    The "most important traffic problem" in Limerick City has to be the prevalence of
    jaywalkers that inhabit the Lr. O'Connell Street region.The council would urgently need to implement a programme of "cullling" in the hope of eradicating this ever-growing and uncontrollable species.
    Are they all on holidays from america?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

* Childers Road from Tipp Roundabout to the Parkway Roundabout is one of the worst
    * Dublin Road approaching the Groody Roundabout in at peak times is bad too (I can't imagine what it would be like if the N7 Parkway scheme hadn't been completed and it was still single carriageway from the Parkway to the Groody R/A)
    * Dublin Road gets blocked at the staggered junction of the Milford Road and the Golf Links Road a lot too. The lights there could do with a bit of reprogramming to make things smoother. For example, when the lights for the mainline are green and the lights are about to go red (coming from the Groody side) to allow someone out of, for example, the Golf Links Road, the lights will go red and a filter light will go green to allow traffic from the Groody side turning right onto the Golf Links road, before all traffic on the mainline is stopped to allow traffic out of the Golfs Link Road. Surely the lights for traffic going straight on (towards the Kilmurry Lodge R/A) could stay green while the filter light is on as it's not impeding traffic going right?

Advertisement