Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due July 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Just saw a post on TTC thread from a girl who was on there when I was on it... ttcing. She's pregnant! I'm more delighted for her then I would be for a close relative or something haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Mink wrote: »
    Just saw a post on TTC thread from a girl who was on there when I was on it... ttcing. She's pregnant! I'm more delighted for her then I would be for a close relative or something haha.

saw this too yay for yellow hen!

robin,sounds promising!

had to sleep in spare room my insomnia is getting so bad :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

This is probably going to sound petty & selfish... but is there anyone else who has not been offered baby gifts (whether 2nd hand or new gifts)? My in-laws spent 200 on us in Ikea to get the cot, bedding & changing table etc. But I've not gotten anything from anyone else (friends, relatives etc).

We were always told don't get too much clothes & wait & see what you get from others. But we've bought nearly everything ourselves. Now I'm starting to worry I don't have enough clothes for baby & I'll be waiting in vain. There are maybe 2-3 things I still want to get, they're maybe 30-40 euros each, but I don't think I can hold off waiting to see if anyone is going to offer.

I'm just sort of disappointed, this is our first baby & we've always gotten gifts for other family members/friends. I guess it's the recession. I certainly didn't expect stuff from everyone, nor expensive stuff at all, but I'm still sort of surprised.

Also worried, people will show up with gifts of things I already got months ago. But it would be the thought that counts and I can always return it if there is a gift receipt.

Sometimes I wish this was like the states and you register your "wish list" & have a feckin baby shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Mink wrote: »
    This is probably going to sound petty & selfish... but is there anyone else who has not been offered baby gifts (whether 2nd hand or new gifts)? My in-laws spent 200 on us in Ikea to get the cot, bedding & changing table etc. But I've not gotten anything from anyone else (friends, relatives etc).

We were always told don't get too much clothes & wait & see what you get from others. But we've bought nearly everything ourselves. Now I'm starting to worry I don't have enough clothes for baby & I'll be waiting in vain. There are maybe 2-3 things I still want to get, they're maybe 30-40 euros each, but I don't think I can hold off waiting to see if anyone is going to offer.

I'm just sort of disappointed, this is our first baby & we've always gotten gifts for other family members/friends. I guess it's the recession. I certainly didn't expect stuff from everyone, nor expensive stuff at all, but I'm still sort of surprised.

Also worried, people will show up with gifts of things I already got months ago. But it would be the thought that counts and I can always return it if there is a gift receipt.

Sometimes I wish this was like the states and you register your "wish list" & have a feckin baby shower!
    I suppose people will wait until baby is born to buy clothes etc.
    I told my mom ages ago that I wanted to get the tummy tub, so she said she'd get it. A friend of mine told me that she would get us a nappy wrapper as she found it a god send when she had 2 summer babies, but she is kinda friend that would say " I'll ring you right back!" and you're still waiting 3 weeks on. My SIL was asking me was there anything else we needed to get, I told her besides the cot and nursery furniture, I still wanted to get a bouncy seat and a play mat. She said she'd have a look out for them and let me know if she picks I've up.
    So I guess I'll just wait until after baby is born to see what happens.

On a completely different note. Have ye picked god parents yet? Do ye ask before the baby is born or afterwards?
    I really want to ask my brother, but he is waiting for his American visa to come through ( married an American at 24yrs old after knowing her for a few months!) I'm hoping he'll still be here, but if he's not can we still have him as godfather and just have a stand in on the day?? I suppose my priest will answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Mink I know what you mean. My family have been great, my parents bought us the buggy, my brother gave us 6 boxes of clothes from his little girl (just a year old) that have barely been worn, my other brother offered to buy us something so I think he'll get us a thermometer & my sister has a surprise picked. OH's family are of course a different story. One of his sisters went OTT buying for her kids (bought 4 cots for two kids) but haven't been offered as much as a babygro. And OH's mother told us "not to expect" anything because they have too many grandchildren to buy for (this will be number 7)- she also said that goes for OH's siblings because there are too many nieces & nephews at this stage to be buying for every baby that comes along! If they don't want to buy anything that's absolutely fair enough and their decision but at the same time we've never missed a bday, christening, xmas pressie all through the whole time both of us were poor students... :rolleyes: anyway we'll wait and see.

Silly, my sister has presumed she'd be godmother since day one - it started off as a joke and just carried on. I wouldn't have asked anyone else though. OH's brother will be godfather & be asked when she's born.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

You can have a stand in for godparents, my mum had one of her brothers stand in for the other at my brothers christening. We're not having a christening, we didn't get married in an RC church, we think we'll be ok school wise, but we can't check with the schools until Junior is here.
    We got a lend of : Cot, Travel System, extra car seat, crib, monitor, bath. We bought the mattresses, cot mobile, changing bag, chest of drawers for the bedroom, nappy bin and the decor for the bedroom. I *think* we only need a bouncy chair and a playmat now for the moment. We got a load of clothes from my sister and Hubs sister from their kids, half of them weren't worn, but I bought a good few things myself as there as specific things I wanted. Both of our parents are giving us money as far as I know.
    Actually I'm probably missing loads that I need without realising!

Feck me it's JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

Happy July everyone!

Ginny as as as I know legislation that came in between 97 and 03 means that no school can discriminate against or favour any applicant based on faith any more, we're not christening either so have looked into in a bit, I'll find you the link once I get account to my laptop.

Who was saying about their mother being overly involved? As I'm typing this now my own parents are inside tearing apart and organising the baby room as they see fit, seriously I just let them off, kinda delighted I don't have to do it myself! But ya, should be fun when baby gets here now if they're like this already, my mum also set out a going home outfit for the little man, I'm glad I don't have the energy to care like, cos there's no telling her I might have my own ideas about things!

Cyning, I know exactly what you mean about the friends thing, mentioned here already a few people I really thought would stick around have been absolute sh1ts since we told them our news, others then have completely stepped up beyond expectation, you really never know with people! I actually have a rant brewing about it all, but I just heard half the baby room fall down on someone so must go check that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I hope everything ok in baby room Nyquist :D

Mink we really haven't been either: doesn't help we are the first to have a baby on both sides of family too. My Dad wants to buy cot but his partner won't let him untill baby gets here and it is seriously p*ssing me off I wish I'd bought it myself :mad:

Silly my brother and a friend of ours are god parents: they both know and are really excited! She's been my hubbies best friend since they were in school and was one of my bridesmaids too: neither of us have sisters she was the perfect choice.

I need a bouncer and playmat: baby moniter too actually. I'm just going to wait and see now at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Anyone else having a real problem sleeping? Last 2 night I really got no proper sleep, my mind is racing. Maybe if I have bags packed and in the car I`ll settle...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

yaay its july:D
    half delighted ,half freaked...cant decide
    have to say we were very lucky two of my sisters had babas last july 1boy/1girl so we got given huge amounts of stuff,clothes mostly but also anglecare monitor,steraliser bottles(unused) maternity clothes blnkets,books the lot really we are blessed , but i have 5 sisters wit kids so it was bound to be that way, we grew up in handmedowns so nobody is shy in our family about passing on, we bought the buggy system and cot ourselves,
    i think alot of people wait till after b4 buying,i know i always have and will(just in case) with other peoples babies.
    still have to buy play mats ,bouncer chair yoke and have no food /nappies/cot in but hubby keeps reminding me he is capable of driving to tescos/dunnes to get them, and that we will probably be glad of a break from the house for a while.
    by the way im blessed that my other halfs family are in the uk:)and ill have a chance to get used to babs (without all the helpful hints) as we wont travel over there till sept(himself wants the christening done b4 we travel)
    but ye are all blessed to have such helpful sounding mothers am the only person with an irishmammy that comes to visit for a moan and a rest, i swear she would(and has) ask you to tie her shoe laces.
    on a good day she is great for laughs but when she goes off on a rant i could play football with the baby in front of her and she wouldnt notice.her rants can last from an hour to a week depending. im praying i dont have a c-section,my poor sister had one last year and had a "helper every day for 6 weeks" until she was able to drive.

went out to lunch yesterday and was chatting away when my belly(YES MY BELLY) let off a loud fart,everyone looked at me a bit stunned and we like ya right when i swore it wasnt me,luckily babs was in an obliging mood and where its bum was under my ribs if you pressed on it it would vibrate and make a fart noises did it for a few mins and had us all in stitches but when i googled it last night it says that they cant fart......im not convinced after yasterday:D has this happened any1 else?

sorry robinc i have no clue about plugs yet.im no help to you

• Advertisement

theg81der wrote: »
    Anyone else having a real problem sleeping? Last 2 night I really got no proper sleep, my mind is racing. Maybe if I have bags packed and in the car I`ll settle...

yes. I think its more to do with getting sore hips and back as I'm lying down more than not being settled, although I dreamed last night that baby was born, I took one look at him and ran away in horror, whatever that means. Not nice. If I'm not waking up of my own accord I have boyfriend waking me up for making faces or noises like one having nightmares, so sick of it, constantly tired these days!

In other news, I have some amount of pressure on the pointy bits of my hip bones, think baby is lying straight across them again, dreading the clinic now tomorrow when they reveal my delivery fate, bleugh. Did someone here mention feeling like they had a bruised belly button too? Have pressure there in a big way when I walk around. weeoooee. Right pregnancy, is there anything else you'd like to do to me while you still have the chance? you gobshiiite.

I have the stretched/bruised belly patch but there's nothing there to see, I as told its basically one of my 6 pack muscles being stretched so much its as thin as a ligament...:(
    I had a dream last night I had a baby with 7 teeth, and everyone was trying to get me to breastfeed..eh not happening with a mouthful of teeth!!
    Junior is head up again, had hiccups in my ribs again, so we'll see what the hosp says on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

went out to lunch yesterday and was chatting away when my belly(YES MY BELLY) let off a loud fart,everyone looked at me a bit stunned and we like ya right when i swore it wasnt me,luckily babs was in an obliging mood and where its bum was under my ribs if you pressed on it it would vibrate and make a fart noises did it for a few mins and had us all in stitches but when i googled it last night it says that they cant fart......im not convinced after yasterday:D has this happened any1 else?
    Exact same thing happened me. A very audible fart sound from my belly. Was convinced it was baby! I guess it was just a strange belly sound...

Re: the wierd dreams. I had one the other night where I had a baby girl and then the midwife told me I was due again in a month!!! I told hubby that we might as well not tell everyone about first baby until the 2nd one arrives..save on the cost of txts.

Think I'm in early labour: I'm nearly afraid to say it in case I'm not :rolleyes: Rang hosp but they don't want to see me yet... Contractions (and I think they are contractions as opposed to BH) every 12 minutes and they hurt :(

I'm just afraid I'm imagining it now because I amn't feeling well: but then am I not feeling well cuz I'm in early labour (hosp says it sounds like I am)??

The intensity doesn't change no matter what I'm doing but they are getting more painful.... fingers crossed its not that Im bloody dehydrated again and thats whats causing it :mad:

Cyning hope things are moving along for you lady, you deserve it now at this stage to get it all over and done with!

Afraid of my life I'll go into labour now if little fella's still the wrong way round, starting to come to terms that it's probably not something I'm going to experience at all. He had hiccups earlier and I was feeling them in the left side above the hip...Ginny at least if you little one if fully upside down you can still go naturally if you have to, with a sideways lie there's not a hope like, really really nervous about what they have to say about it tomorrow!

Mmm chicken, that was hilarious about the baby farts!

Am I the only one not rightly planning on breastfeeding (ya I'll give it a go, but no intention of exclusively breastfeeding like) Any ideas on formula girls? I actually don't know where to start with it...the midwife said the last day they give you the choice when baby arrives which brand you want to go with and you stick with that then...but I literally have no clue! eenie-meenie-miney-mo doesn't seem like the most responsible way of choosing either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Mink, I do know what you mean as my parents keep telling us don't be buying too much you will get loads but I don't see it myself :) A friend has offered us a bouncer she had for her little one but we don't have the boxes of clothes being handed down to us or anything else baby related etc despite having a brother with two girls...i guess their stuff went elsewhere :) So we have bought a reasonable amount of stuff to get going...you just can't not buy anything!

We got spoiled rotten this weekend by our friends (wedding witnesses) but they are some of our closest friends and were always going to in reality :) we got the snuza early as that friend is off on holidays shortly so they wanted us to have it before they left but other than that I'm not sure who will get us stuff or what they'll get.

Now I do expect certain relatives will prob bunch together & get us stuff once the bump arrives but who knows & what do you do without to see if others are buying it?

Cyning I really really hope the next time we hear from you is with news of July baby no. 4!! Best of luck and can't wait to hear your news soon :)

ooh Cyning best of luck girl, you know the deal!keep us updated - knew it'd be you!x

That would be July baby number 5 and yep Cyning I hope you get that one :) I thought your previous post sounded more like contractions rather than Braxton hicks so glad to see they have continued!

Will have our fingers crossed for you :) good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

great news cyning fingers crossed for ya:D

nyquist ; ya im not to pushed eiter way ill try the bf but im happy enough with bottle too i was bottle fed and survived to tell the tale ,im no expert but as far as i know they give ya nuk bottles in limerick so thats what i bought(plus they have cute little disney pics on them) the formula is up to yourself i think ill go with aptimel(its the one they have in my local shop,in case im stuck) again id say they are all similar ,think cow and gate is a bit cheaper,
    i come from a big family and all their advice is use the same formulas as friends in case your stuck but use a different bottle(3 of my sisters have tommy tipee bottles and its a free for all at family gatherings with toddlers pulling bottles out of newborns mouths) same will happen at daycare or anywhere ya go with bubs

been reading online and lots of babies turn last min,im hoping mine will oblige:)

• Advertisement

Mmmn.Chicken that's good to know re NUK bottles...we have decided to try them as our bottles if breastfeeding doesn't work out & for expressing if it does :) Don't have a clue re formula really!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

Hi girls, hope ye're all ok this evening.

i've been reading often but not posting much. i finished work last week but i've been busy so it hasn't really sunk in yet. Lots of hospital appointments (three this week) lined up and that's almost enough to wipe me out each day. i'm usually knackered after the ones that take ages. Friday's scan was great, we watched her little hand grabbing, and we could see her hair floating in the fluid. it was mad.

now that i'm home every day it's really frustrating becuase there's loads i want to get done around the house but i can only manage a bit and then it hurts too much and i have to sit down. walking is a nightmare. very very sore. but the end is in sight now and the only walking i intend to do is at the hospital appointments. i had a bit of shopping to do last week and i was crying walking back to the car. mortified, but i couldn't stop! i'm glad there weren't too many people around.the funny thing is it was the same supermarket chain the same thing happened in about a month ago. i may change where i shop!

Things seem to be ramping up for most of us now and i decided to look back on my diary from when i had my son to see if i had any record of how things happened for me. Just brief notes, but they might help.

16 days before the birth (12 days before due date) i had bad period pain during the night. went to the hospital, internal, nothing happening.

12 days before birth (7 before due date) slept badly, woke early and had brownish colour when i wiped after a wee.half hour later it was brighter in colour and that afternoon a tiny bit of blood. went ot hospital day after and still nothing happening.

10 days before birth i was up in the middle of the night with really bad period type pains crouching on all fours on the couch. I could time the pains to every 12 minutes.

then nothing happened for another week.

2 days before the birth had bad pain that kept me awake all night and bright blood that morning mixed with mucus (the plug)

On the day of his birth i was admitted to hopital at 4am with contractions every 7 minutes and just 2cm dilated. basically stayed like that all day until that evening i went from 2cm to 10cm in 40 minutes. (too late for epidural before it was realised) Things are still a bit blurry but i believe that it took about 40 minutes from when we got to the delivery room before my little boy was born.The pain only got really intense when i was dilating 2-10cm.

My mother and my sister had both had very fast births so i was expecting it, but not quite that fast.

I really wouldn't place too much importance on due date at all. When the baby is ready they will arrive. And don't be afraid to ring the ward at any time if you think the pains are changing because that is what they are there for. They're well used to phone calls and will try to assess the nature of your situation. The worst that can happen is that you go in, they do an internal and if nothing's happening you go home. (until the next time!) At least you will be reassured that you're not going into labour and that alone gives great peace of mind and allows you to relax and try to rest.

anyway, i hope this helps anyone! :)

minibear

I'm really hoping it is babs on the way: just waiting for water to heat up and go for a bath and fingers crossed it helps with back pain! And contractions start coming and I have baby cyning here soon :)

Oh fingers crossed cyning!!!!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Robinc

Best of luck Cyning, I hope this is it for you and its nice, quick and as painless as possible! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Robinc

Nyquist I don't plan on breasfeeding at all.. Didn't work for any of my sisters... One of them used Aptamil milk and it was great, one of the nurses in Holles st recommended it.. I'm gonna use it but then again each baby will be different!

I'm getting period type pains in my lower back around every 5 or 10 minutes and its freaking me out.. Is this BH??

2mums - baby number 5? Who have I missed :o

mamaheidi wrote: »
    2mums - baby number 5? Who have I missed :o

barremic, tinkerbell, Kildareash and notsobusy!

Right pregnancy, is there anything else you'd like to do to me while you still have the chance? you gobshiiite.

I just HAD to provoke the pregnancy demons didn't I...big angry stretch marks have appeared since this morning. eeek! Horrible altogether, I thought I was totally getting away with it too.

Cyning, hope all's going well for you pet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭trions

oh cyning - have my fingers crossed for u, hopefully u will have your little one in your arms before u know it....

Saurelin - are u feeling better today?

Mink - i have had the same experience with a close friend completely withdrawing- used to be so close, it started after I got married and now contact has completely stopped- haven't even gotton a congrats on the pregnancy - it still really upsets me - so annoyed with her but also miss her loads :confused: on the other hand other people have really stepped up and been really supportive...

Can't believe it's the first of July - our babies are due this month!!!! I've been working all weekend and had my going away party from work last night - so am absolutely shattered this evening - on the upside have only 4 days of work left!!!! can't wait to finish, finding it much tougher lately and feet/ankles are huge...

Ash - my sister recommended multi-mam cold compresses for sore nipples - i picked up a pack in boots - might be worth a try.. sounds like u are doing great - can't wait to see some pics of baby N...

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend!

Advertisement