Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

There is a 24-hour garage on the old N3 just before you enter Dunshauglin. Decent petrol price as well and if you go that way (coming off the M3 at Junction 5 and back on at Junction 6) you avoid one of the toll plazas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I heard from the landowner on which the McDonalds/Topaz development is to be built beside M8 junction 8, that it will enter the construction phase in two weeks' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Anything new for the M7? We'll be off the boat at 6 on Monday morning and will need somewhere to stop to feed the baby at about 7:30, assuming he sleeps until then!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only someone trying to sell a site in Borris in Ossory beside the junction.

Best option on the M7 at the moment is the foodcourt at the Maldron Hotel at Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Cheers MYOB, always good to have another option. I don't really want to have to stop in a layby on a motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I wonder how the McDonalds drive-thru and petrol station just off the M8 at Cashel is coming along?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I wonder how the McDonalds drive-thru and petrol station just off the M8 at Cashel is coming along?

They're working six days per week. Foundations are laid and the rising walls have started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Furet wrote: »
    Midway Food Court: http://www.midwaym7.com/

This has numerous food outlets and ample parking. It is NOT open 24/7 and it currently does NOT have fuel services, though a Topaz station will open on the site in the near future.
    I popped into this place on the way from Cavan to Cork, being perfectly situated 2 hours into a 4 hour journey.

Between the various outlets you have a wide choice of sandwiches/ snacks burgers and wraps. Nothing really all that wholesome though to be honest. (Little caesars was closed that day so maybe they offer a little in the way of hot food rather than stopgap sandwiches?)

What might be useful to know is that the hotel on the site nextdoor to the food hall also offers carvery lunches for anyone needing their daily dose of spuds and meat.

For those needing fuel theres a couple of stations a few hundred metres beyond the food hall on the Motorway side of Portlaoise.

Unfortunately I didnt catch the opening hours. Has anyone an idea of how late the place opens till?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stringman

Just a quick question to some of you in the know. Im looking for somewhere for a group on route to a weekend in cork to meet up and have a good cooked breakfast. The new amber services at junction 14 look perfect, but i can't find any details what food is served there, so just want to be sure they do cooked breakfasts and are they any good, before telling people to head there. thanks for any info.

Stringman wrote: »
    Just a quick question to some of you in the know. Im looking for somewhere for a group on route to a weekend in cork to meet up and have a good cooked breakfast. The new amber services at junction 14 look perfect, but i can't find any details what food is served there, so just want to be sure they do cooked breakfasts and are they any good, before telling people to head there. thanks for any info.

I'm virtually certain that they do... usual fry-up fare and such. Can be a busy spot though, so you might not get seats for everyone if you've a big group.

You could also get off at junction 13 and head for Cork on the R639 and stop at Corbett Court, and then re-enter the M8 at junction 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Stringman wrote: »

Amber is really a kiosk, and you might as well wait for Cork if you've driven that far (assuming you're coming from Dublin or thereabouts?)

Try the Horse and Jockey hotel? Very close to the motorway, and do a cooked buffet breakfast for about 12 euro. I've stopped there a couple of times with family - old timers who still feel the need to break up a journey, despite journey times being halved, I think they just like the tradition :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=M8&daddr=Horse+and+Jockey,+Co.+North+Tipperary,+Ireland&hl=en&geocode=FdYHIwMdwHaJ_w%3BFVPbIgMdB1qJ_ynBsZjm_s9cSDHyyyy7p8cAJg&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=15&sll=52.625431,-7.758708&sspn=0.006487,0.042915&ie=UTF8&z=15

Thanks for the quick replys. the group, would be ten or twelve, so not that big, and not needing anything to smart, just a fry, without steering off miles from he main road, which is why i was thinking of the amber place. I have to say it amazes me that they don't have a web page saying there there, and what they offer. Thanks again for the info.

Amber does have a pretty nice eaterie with seats, broadband, atm, etc., so it's more than just a kiosk.

From the pics of the outside, it certainly looks a lot more than a kiosk, but not having seen any pics of the inside i can't judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Tremelo wrote: »
    I heard from the landowner on which the McDonalds/Topaz development is to be built beside M8 junction 8, that it will enter the construction phase in two weeks' time.
    Any updates?
    Is it open yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any updates?
    Is it open yet?

Under construction and currently recruiting.

...And opening sometimes in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What's the name of that station on the east side of Mountrath on the non motorway Dublin/Limerick road, full truck stop with showers I believe and an impressive Emo station. Good pullover if you want to put your €1.80 towards a cup of tea rather then a time saver.

"mighty mols". IIRC the GreatGas across the road *was* them too but it has closed down since the motorway opened - and there's no problem turning right in/out of the Emo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The Obama-plaza is a' coming:
    Irish fast food chain Supermac’s today announced the development of a €7 million “travel plaza” in Moneygall, Co Offaly.

The development – news of which comes one month before the visit of the US president Barack Obama to the town - will bring more than 50 jobs to the area.

A further 70 to 80 jobs will be created during the development and building stages of the project, the company said.

The new plaza will be located on a 12 acre site along the M7 motorway between Dublin and Limerick.

The “motorway services facility” will include a Supermac’s and a Papa John’s Pizza restaurant, along with a food court, a convenience shop and fuel pumps.

“We hope to provide much needed employment and an economic boost by attracting visitors to Moneygall, which is already on the map as the birthplace of President Obama’s ancestors” said Supermac’s founder and managing director Pat McDonagh.

The travel plaza is expected to be open for business sometime in early next year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0411/breaking32.html

Hopefully it'll be signed/visible from the M7.

• Advertisement

That site has been partially pre-prepped by its owners and signed as "for sale for MSA" for ages, its visible heading Eastbound IIRC

The junction isn't suitable AT ALL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

MYOB wrote: »
    The M8 has vague signage at both ends which is referring to Urlingford (Kavanaghs/Applegreen), the south end of Cashel (Mother Hubbards and Tesco for fuel) and Mitchelstown (cluster of stations there) at both ends of it, but nothing more specific beyond that.... that appears to be all we're likely to get on other roads.

What is vague about the signing to Urlingford?

Rodin wrote: »
    What is vague about the signing to Urlingford?

There isn't anything, read my post properly please.

The vague signage is the MSA signage that has km distances that don't actually apply to anywhere specific,

Hardly a surprise, but the M8 J8 Topaz/McDonalds service station will be 24hr when it opens. Must snap a few shots soon. It's two-story by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Tremelo wrote: »
    Hardly a surprise, but the M8 J8 Topaz/McDonalds service station will be 24hr when it opens. Must snap a few shots soon. It's two-story by the way.
    Any word yet on whether this will be signed like the official service stations?

It won't be. But it will be VERY visible from the M8, seen as how it's right on top of it. Advance non-descript brown fuel signage is present about 1km before the exit though.

Indo had renders of the Moneygall one today, its going to be BIG by the looks of things, SuperStop MSA sized.

Images of the M8 development on the way... (photobucket is down, so this will be clumsy)

Another one...

• Advertisement

No. 3...

Advertisement