Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland Junior Club Semi Final

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

duchalla wrote: »
    Dromid Pearses have no problem with the result, they were beaten on the day, its the scumbags who came in from the sideline and attacked their players they have the problem with.

Dromid Pearses manager Michael Anthony O'Connell is quoted in the Irish Independent this morning as wanting Derrytresk thrown out of the competition.

"Somebody has to put their foot down. What happened on Sunday has no place in the GAA, it was disgraceful. I don't think I will ever go to a football game again if they are not thrown out. The GAA has to make a stand now."

To be fair, mabe he is simply voicing a personal opinion and not that of the Club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

The GAA is turning in a farce at the moment, while traditionally "rough" sport have cleaned up their act years ago the GAA seems to be getting worse/going backwards
    And don't fool yourself saying its only tyrone. there been 3 high profile incidents in the last 3 years where supporters attached players and refs. louth Vs Meath, that county final in galway and this one. I remember coming into work on the monday and taking to lads about the Louth Vs Meath game.
    Me: hey lads total disgrace what happed in that match yesterday.
    co-worker: yeah terrible for the sport.
    Me: I know,
    co-worker: how can a ref like that be allowed ref a big game, Louth were screwed
    Me: "very puzzled" i was talking about the fan attacking a ref as being a disgrace?
    Co- worker: a **** him he screwed Louth out of it he deserved it. how do you think those fans felt

This is the attitude through out the GAA supporters.

The only solution in bans for clubs cos lets face it its impossible to police bans for supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No one think of checking Youtube?.....

Why these games aren't policed properly is baffling.

The Guards should have been there to arrest anyone who wasn't officially togged for the game who jumped the boardings, they appear to be club members but they don't look like subs to me, more spectators IMO.

Looks to me like the fat guy in the blue jacket with the clipboard threw the first dig.

Disgraceful behaviour, these matters should be made criminal matters and the gardai should step in and sort out the assault charges. Once and for all. This fighting is becoming endemic in the sport and will ultimately destroy the game if it's allowed continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭gearoidc

Def the worst aspect of this is the 6-8 fellas in tracksuits who come flying in over the hoarding.

The culture of "one in - all in" is one of the most pathetic aspects of GAA club competition. I have known clubs where players have been instructed to act accordingly.

In this instance, it's even more disgraceful. Those fellas jumping in turned a relatively minor scuffle into a brawl.

A club has to control its players and supporters

Derrytresk seem incapable of doing this.

Kick them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In fairness not from any of the counties but the team fans or players that jump the advertisement board should be kicked out.

If you cant control you subs or fans then you dont deserve to be on the pitch ever.

Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

If there are any sanctions against Derrytresk get ready for the blizzard of victimhood cliches unleashed by their supporters and club management.

You could get quite a good Buzzword Bingo card out of it:

"Trial by media"

"Second class citizens"

"Pride in the parish"

"Only playing to win"

"You wouldn't say anything if it were a club from Cork/Dublin/Meath/Kerry/Galway etc etc.......(select as appropriate)

"Ah sure t'was nothin'"

"The fecker was asking for it"

"One side's as bad as the other"

"The refereeing was disgraceful"

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

I wonder are the lads in the tracksuits actually part of the team, but not named in the squad for the game. Wonder was it pre-planned that at the 1st sign of trouble they would all pile in.

I think they are playing Clonbur (Galway) in the final, were Clonbur involved in something similar in the the Galway championship before Christmas?

I maybe wrong on this.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Kerry player Declan O'Sullivan was hit with a handbag at the end of the game.

Someone at RTE having a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

having slowed this down, before anyone jumps any hoardings, the dromid number 4 appears to stike the guy with the clip board, dromid number 5 runs a long way to shove the guy with the yellow hi vis and the guy with the clip board. I am not justifing what the derrytresk supporters/bench done but it appears it was started with dromid players attacking people that were not on the field of play.

sits back and awaits the slating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I don't think you're half wrong.
    Trying to isolate this as a Tyrone problem is wrong. It is a major problem throughout GAA and happens too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

having slowed this down, before anyone jumps any hoardings, the dromid number 4 appears to stike the guy with the clip board

The guy with the clip board can be pretty clearly seen kicking Dromid's number four as he has his back to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Unfortunately, I wasn't in Portlaoise yesterday or I'd have gone to the game. By all accounts, I missed a memorable spectacle.:eek:

Here's what the Indo reports about it:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/video-players-hit-in-the-testicles-before-match-even-began-2997225.html

If it's true what Dromid Pearses manager Michael Anthony O'Connell claims:

"We were beaten by unfair tactics. At the start of the game, three of my players were caught by the testicles," don't be surprised if some people start suspecting that the G in GAA stands for "gay".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Annie Bald Levee

paulgalway wrote: »

I think they are playing Clonbur (Galway) in the final, were Clonbur involved in something similar in the the Galway championship before Christmas?

I maybe wrong on this.:confused:

no that was corofin. Fans invaded the pitch and attacked the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

keane2097 wrote: »
    The guy with the clip board can be pretty clearly seen kicking Dromid's number four as he has his back to him.

Have to agree with keane2097 on this one. The Dromid no.4 turns away to pick up the ball, the Derrytresk guy with the clipboard throw a kick at him. They both start swinging at each other from there.

This really does seem to have been above and beyond what's socially acceptable. Very disturbing stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Dromid will regret the whining, I have reviewed the available video...

Dromid Pearse players started that brawl, reasoning as follows:

Dromid Player Number 10 Punched the Derrytresk player that hit the ground (reference time 0:02)

Dromid Player Number 4 threw the first punch at a non-player - fat man in Derrytrisk colours
    (reference time 0:05)

Dromid hang your heads in shame, you thought you were smart dishing it out but when given a taste of your medicine you just were not capable.

QUIT WHINING - Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Have to agree with keane2097 on this one. The Dromid no.4 turns away to pick up the ball, the Derrytresk guy with the clipboard throw a kick at him. They both start swinging at each other from there.

And then (from memory as I don't have access to the video in work) the Dromid number five comes racing in from the pitch to get involved. I assume that this is what initially prompted the subs to jump the fence and get involved as it looked like a second player getting involved with 'clipboard man'.

And then (from memory as I don't have access to the video in work) the Dromid number five comes racing in from the pitch to get involved. I assume that this is what initially prompted the subs to jump the fence and get involved as it looked like a second player getting involved with 'clipboard man'.

The reason the Dromid no 5 got involved was he saw the Derrytresk no.12 and no.18 converging on his team mate (no.4), who already had his hands full with the Derrytresk clipboard guy.

The reason the Dromid no 5 got involved was he saw the Derrytresk no.12 and no.18 converging on his team mate (no.4), who already had his hands full with the Derrytresk clipboard guy.

put your glasses on, number 4 and 10 from Dromid started it, I have reviewed frame by frame

• Advertisement

WTF does "started" have to do with anything?

People jumping the hoarding to enter the field of play to contribute to a melee is a disgrace to the association.

I'd call anyone who said otherwise a knacker if I didn't think I'd be banned for giving knackers a bad name.

my friend wrote: »
    put your glasses on, number 4 and 10 from Dromid started it, I have reviewed frame by frame

Listen "my friend",

I tel you who started it, it was the scumbags who jumped over the hoarding and started hopping kicks and punches off the Dromid players.

if those "hard men" hadnt become involved, the incident wouldnt have escelated and would have been over within a few seconds.

Talk about not seeing the elephant in the room!

I'll put the glasses on when you engage the brain.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Well it's fair to say the majority of posters on here reckon that Derrytresk should be booted out of the All Ireland and that fans from the Tyrone county are of a thuggish element. While it's not nice to hear about posters on here having a bad experience with some Tyrone supporters IMO every county has a small minority of troublemakers,maybe Tyrone has a few extra but unlike Shamobuc and The Kew Tour in 2009 I met decent honest Tyrone fans who were a great craic and not the thuggish few that they met but it must be said those I met told me of their hatred of Kerry which according to them was the same on both sides and after seeing some posts here from Kerry posters it's safe to say there's a deep bitter rivalry between these 2 counties.

I notice a fair anti-northern sentiment throughout this thread.

if I'd seen this video and not known what provinces the clubs were from, I'd honestly have said they could have been from any county in Ireland (excepting Kilkenny maybe, as there's not much football that direction).

the ref that was locked up in a car boot was not locked up in Ulster. The fans that ran onto the pitch in Croke Park last year and hassled the referee were not from Ulster.

This sort of disgraceful behaviour is a GAA problem, not an ulster GAA problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Listen "my friend",

I tel you who started it, it was the scumbags who jumped over the hoarding and started hopping kicks and punches off the Dromid players.

if those "hard men" hadnt become involved, the incident wouldnt have escelated and would have been over within a few seconds.

You have hit the nail on the head,when the lads from the sideline jumped the fence there was no way the ref was going to be able to control it,its them fellas that came in should be banned and maybe throw the book at them and ban them for life,it might seem a bit drastic but these kinda of incidents are happening too often in the GAA.

the Dromid fans are on the warpath on boards.ie I see

pity they didnt let their football do the talking on the pitch

remember what Paudi said...

Dromid will regret the whining, I have reviewed the available video...

Dromid Pearse players started that brawl, reasoning as follows:

Dromid Player Number 10 Punched the Derrytresk player that hit the ground (reference time 0:02)

Dromid Player Number 4 threw the first punch at a non-player - fat man in Derrytrisk colours
    (reference time 0:05)

Dromid hang your heads in shame, you thought you were smart dishing it out but when given a taste of your medicine you just were not capable.

QUIT WHINING - Move on.

Who started it isnt the issue in my opinion. there will always be fights in GAA matches, it will never be stamped out (and if it is, people will complain that they are destroying the game :rolleyes:) . There are disciplinary procedures already in place to punnish players. However, when spectators from a team get involved, then its a very different story. Its a grey area, when does it stop being an issue for the GAA, and start being an issue for the guards. if the same thing happened in Old Trafford, and people ran onto the pitch, then they would be arrested, and Man Utd may recieve a fine for poor stewarding. The GAA has changed a lot over the last 15 years, and these grey areas need to be cleared up before somebody gets hurt. This is the 3rd event of crowd trouble in the last 9-10 weeks.....and all 3 were at club level. Either the team should be resposnible for their supporters, and banned from the competition for a year, OR the individuals made responsible and given at least a public order offence. Again im going back to the premier league, the crowds there at derby matches are crazy, players get verbal abuse, but never physical.

Tombo2000 wrote: »
    This sort of disgraceful behaviour is a GAA problem, not an ulster GAA problem.

Nail on the head. My own club is guilty of similar antics

Listen "my friend",

Dromid number 4 struck the fat nordie in the blue tracksuit with the clipboard... see at 4 - 5 seconds

It was Dromid that started the attacks on Non Players
    There are none so blind as those who will not see

• Registered Users Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dromid number 4 struck the fat nordie in the blue tracksuit with the clipboard... see at 4 - 5 seconds

Actually it was the Derrytresk offical with the clipboard that made the first aggressive move of the whole sorry affair. He either aimed a kick or shoved the Dromid number 4 in the back which prompted the Dromid number 4 to swing around and have a swipe at him.

After that all hell broke loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

You have hit the nail on the head,when the lads from the sideline jumped the fence there was no way the ref was going to be able to control it,its them fellas that came in should be banned and maybe throw the book at them and ban them for life,it might seem a bit drastic but these kinda of incidents are happening too often in the GAA.

So the players themselves are blameless then?

• Advertisement

Why were the Non Players on the field?

Advertisement