Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due April/May 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kazvixen

angelll wrote: »
    I had my growth scan yesterday @31 weeks. Bbay is 4lbs,7oz already and look like he'll be another 9lb'er at least :eek: My second little fella was 9lb,5oz and she said at the scan he'll be the same. Head is down tg and facing inward,which never happened for me before,my other 2 faced outward and labour was v painful,it's supposed to be a bit easier when they face the other way so fingers crossed he doesn't move :)
    Shuwaaah best of luck at the scan x
    I've nothing packed at all,must wash what we bought and get it ready,have to buy a moses basket too...

Do you mind me asking please Angelll - what is this growth scan? I was back for my 33 week appointment in Hollis Street yesterday and i still haven't been told what weight/size the baby is. I'm not back for 4 weeks so I will be 37 weeks at that stage. I'm a public patient if that makes any difference due on the 7th April. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I'm public too Kazvixen. At our hospital (limerick) we get a scan at booking appt (14 wks) and one more at 32 weeks. I went for a private scan at 22 weeks to find out gender. The 32 week scan appt was given to me at my booking appt back in october,she measured head,femur and fluid levels and was able to use those to estimate baby size now and possible birth weight.

Btw ladies if ye are in limerick (childers rd),carrickmines or dundalk,heatons are opening baby sections in those stores tomorrow,they have loads of deals on the day from moses baskets for €35 to microwave sterilisers for €12.50 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Does anyone else feel like a mess. I keep crying at the drop of a hat. Was in with doc appointment today and told her about a chest pain i keep getting every so often and cant catch my breath and she told me its anxiety which just made me cry (again).
    Just so tired and cant sleep. Keep wanting to take a rest and relax but always want to get stuff sorted and done. Have my sis in laws wedding in 3 weeks and just wish it was over. So much to get and do.
    Ah hopefully when thats over will feel better. Have everything pretty much sorted for our lil womans arrival, packed hospital bags tonight so one less thing to think about. But keep getting this feeling i'm forgetting something.
    Seriously need to sleep i think... and this is only the start of the sleep deprivation..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kazvixen

Thanks Angell.....Maybe they were just too busy in the hospital when i attended to do those things (now i feel neglected!) I'll ask at my next appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Suucee wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel like a mess. I keep crying at the drop of a hat. Was in with doc appointment today and told her about a chest pain i keep getting every so often and cant catch my breath and she told me its anxiety which just made me cry (again).
    Just so tired and cant sleep. Keep wanting to take a rest and relax but always want to get stuff sorted and done. Have my sis in laws wedding in 3 weeks and just wish it was over. So much to get and do.
    Ah hopefully when thats over will feel better. Have everything pretty much sorted for our lil womans arrival, packed hospital bags tonight so one less thing to think about. But keep getting this feeling i'm forgetting something.
    Seriously need to sleep i think... and this is only the start of the sleep deprivation..

Sounds like a typical day in my house... the worst thing you can do is stress about it.
    Ive been caught crying by my OH on numerous occasions.. and the reason?? I dont wanna have to "HAVE" the baby :rolleyes: I'm telling ya.. being pregnant is worse than loosing your marbles!!!!
    When are you due Suucee???
    Im due April 1st, and sh1tting my pants.. I assume its normal to be nervous/excited/apprehensive/terrified!!!! Its alot of unknowns to be dealing with!!!!... And once you give birth im sure it will all dissappear and you will look back at this time and realise how normal it all is!!! :D

Im feeling ok-ish at the min. Still getting the odd twinge in my hips and pelvis... But ive given up caring now.. what will be will be. Im going to do one more week work, then SLEEP for the 5 weeks (or however many weeks b4 babz arrives.)

Im wondering have any of you got experience of These infamous Braxton Hicks?? What do they feel like?? Should they hurt??

Sometimes my tummy tightens up, goes rock hard and feels like the baby has moved up under my ribs as opposed to feeling like its about to fall out of me sometimes.. does this sound like Braxton Hicks?? It doesnt hurt or anything.. Should it?

My OH thinks it would be better if they did hurt me a little, to prepare me for the real thing.. He is probably right :D

Hope everyone else is good xxx

• Advertisement

That sounds like braxton hicks staticdoor :) That's what labour will be like except they will hurt :D I've been getting them for a few weeks now. I'm getting v nervous about the birth as i know what i'm in for again with my big baby...just want it over with now tbh. 8 weeks to go at the most,hopefully he'll be here quicker than that,ds2 was 5 days early.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

Hey all, thanks for the words of advice, just out of my appointment there with the consultant and everything's fine! Phew! Midwife told me I have to start taking galfer iron tablets on top of the Pregnacare, apparently there isn't that much iron in it? :confused: I'm slightly raging, I've been dodging the whole constipation thing quite well so far and when I took galfer for anaemia a few years ago I had regular cramps and constipation. I suppose 9 weeks of it isn't too bad though!

@staticdoor, I'm the same with the Braxton Hicks. I get weird twinges now and then but I wouldn't say they're painful as such. The worst thing for me lately is pains in my hips, lower back and in the anterior pelvic / pubic area. If I've been sitting / lying somewhere for more than 10 minutes or if I've been standing or doing too much bending I've all these pains. Very, very sore but don't last long, I presume it's because the baby's head is down. they're hardly braxton hicks though, are they?

@cap, look at ya with your lovely typed list! I had one done out for going shopping for stuff for the hospital bag, got the majority of the stuff but had a few bits missing, then when I went to pack it yesterday I couldn't find my precious list at all. It was all nice and neat and had everything put into sections and headings and bullet points, (I'm a freak, I know) :o starting my antenatal classes on wednesday, do they give you a list of stuff or an idea of what to bring?

@angell wow that's amazing that the baby is that size already! its great to have an idea of what size the wee one is going to be, nothing had been said to me in terms of size / weight yet

Hope everyone's good!!! :)

Hey. Good to hear all went well shuwaah.
    I got a list of things for hospital bag at my first hospital appointment. Couldnt believe i need to bring my own cot sheets and blankets aswell as everything else. Had to pack 2 bags. One for me and one for babs.
    Staticdoor glad to know i'm not the only one freaking out. Mind feeling much better today. (rest and sleep really did help)
    Havent really experienced the braxton hicks yet but still have another 9 weeks so probably will soon.

Suucee wrote: »
    Hey. Good to hear all went well shuwaah.
    I got a list of things for hospital bag at my first hospital appointment. Couldnt believe i need to bring my own cot sheets and blankets aswell as everything else. Had to pack 2 bags. One for me and one for babs.
    Staticdoor glad to know i'm not the only one freaking out. Mind feeling much better today. (rest and sleep really did help)
    Havent really experienced the braxton hicks yet but still have another 9 weeks so probably will soon.

I was thinking im gunna have to split all my crap into two bags too, but i thought i might look a bit like im checking into a hotel haha

Ive the basics packed now, incase i pop my cloggs early.. but ive no clothes for me in it only a nightdress.. my wash bag doesnt fit in, and i forgot to put in the babies blanket and sheets, they are all just sitting on the top.
    I also have the going home clothes and coat for the baby in the car seat so he can just bring it in on going home day, save me bothering to bring it..
    Do ye think it be ok to bring two bags?? the one ive packed is a suitcase, but its cabin luggage.. and not big enough..sure my bleedin dressing gowns massive!!!! :rolleyes:

Im a terrible packer anyways, always bringing too much where ever i go.. my motto is "better to have too much and not need it than not enough".. Sure i think ive 24 feckin nappies packed!!!.. and surely to god ill not need them all!!!

im just counting down the days now to sleep/relaxing me time.. 9 more days of work.. my SPD has buggered off for now (please dont be a jinx), so im still in work.. and wishing the minutes away!!! I can defo do 9 more days.. then ive four weeks to me untill baby is due, although if it were to feel the need to arrive early i would defo not be upset!!! :D

Imagine.. only 5weeks and 5 days left wooohoooo cant waittttttttt!!!!!!!!

Hope everyones doing well and not stressing out too much xxxx

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

G'wan and post your hospital bag list - I need inspiration!! :)

I love the Il tutto changing bag range, but they are so expensive I dont think I could justify spending that kind of money.

Had some little pains at work this evening so I went off to the maternity unit just for peace of mind. They monitored me and baby was grand so I was reassured and went home again.

We are considering that a dry run for labour. Himself crossed the town at rush hour in 10 mins so thats pretty impressive and handy to know for again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I have a gear bag with mine and babys stuff, our clothes, nappies and all the extras as hospital bag. I bought 3 really light dressing gowns in penneys (unreal warm in hospital) and have two in hospital bag and one in labour bag.

I then have a smaller gear bag for the labour ward. Have 2 sets of vests, babygros, hat mitts, cardi, blanket and nappies for baby. Packed my wash bag in labour bag in case I want shower, brush teeth etc. Have lip balm, sts, towel, breast pads, two nighties and a pj pants and vest for me. In case I feel awkward with nighty.(friend recommended 2 nightys, one for birth and one for after and pjs for walking around etc) Will add snacks and drinks and mags etc closer to time.
    This bag will be brought in with me in labour, other one will stay in car until baby is born. Will have mine and babys going home clothes with car seat, and another bag at home is filled with extra nappies, dummies, wipes, towels, pads, undies etc so himself will be able to get anything else I want.

Have sticky notes on the bags saying what they are and have an extra one on labour bag saying "In emergency....Make sure red chart is in this bag!!" How anal am I :p:o

On another note, how is everyone feeling today? Had hospital and babys head is down in the right direction tg. Was flying arounf this morning and full of beans in the hospital and then Feeling a bit awful since this afternoon nauseous and kind of hungover feeling. Am totally drained too. Think I have been doing too much, I keep forgetting I am pregnant and think I can do as I want. Well baby and body has shown me today.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I'm loling here, just found a copy of my list from last time. Ye think you're bad with 2 bags, according to my list I had 3 bags last time :o
    A Labour ward bag (small), ward bag (large) & going home bag :eek:

193550.jpg

I really must have thought I was moving into the hospital permanently :D

Needless to say I ended up with a lot of stuff I didn't use last time so have drastically scaled down the list this time!
    That said, I still found it much better having a little bag for the labour ward & another for the few day stay in the hospital.

It just meant having the bare essentials in the labour bag rather than wrestling with a big bag & trying to dig out all the bits you need.
    I kept both bags in the car, when I was admitted just brought the small labour bag & when the deed was done, babe in arms - gave hubby the small bag to bring home & leave the big one into me instead.
    We didn't land in looking for a porter to assist with all the luggage :D:D

Not sure if it can be read on the end of my epic checklist, but a tip I copied from God know's where & found really handy was having a little sandwich bag with baby's first outfit in it somewhere easily accessible in your labour bag.
    When the time came I had forgot to do that & poor hubby was all fingers & thumbs trying to find an outfit for our little miss.
    This time I have a vest, set of scratch mits, hat, nappy & all in one suit in a little plastic bag right at the top of the pile.
    Now just to get a bag to fit it all in :rolleyes:

One other tip I think is vital to share with all is to make sure you pack a squeezy water bottle! you will thank me if you have stitches.
    It's to squeeze onto your hooha when you wee as the stitches can sting otherwise. Squeezing cool water on it though counteracts the stinging :)

My sis gave me a little overnight case to use for hospital - it barely fit baby's stuff for the few days! She was shocked & thought I was packing the whole house kitchen sink included.
    But by the time you pack a dressing gown, pack of nappies, st's - the bag is nearly full!
    At this rate if I go into labour anytime soon it'll all be chucked into a black bag :o

Neyite you poor thing, were you freaked out having to go into hospital so early?
    I had something similar last time & I think at about the same stage of pregnancy. Although excited about the possibility of meeting baby that soon, I was also terrified of baby arriving too soon.

I had period like pains & fairly strong Braxton hicks last night & again this morning.
    I was going to ring the hospital, but by about lunchtime they eased off.

I'm wondering if it's a sign things might happen a little earlier this time round, or is it just more aches & pains because I'm running around after a (very!) energetic 2 year old this time.

Sorry mental length post, this is what happens when the only other adult you've seen all day is the postman. Joys of country living!
    Can't wait to have energy again to be able to get out of the house/bring my daughter to the park :)

Holy christ almighty. ive not got enough or the right stuff packed. plan for tomorrow evening now is repack!!!
    If im not breast feeding do i need nipple cream or just pads?
    Is two packs(20) of maternity pads/lady nappies enough?
    Now i see why we were told a female family member is essential to the run up and recovery.
    got really upset this eve cuz i wish my mum was still around to help with all this :( and also cuz i lay down on couch to "rest my eyes" as ya do..... and couldnt get back up :(

Its great hearing what u are all packing tho. defo take out fleece dressing gown buy a crap one. never thought of flip flops, excellent idea cuz i hate slippers was just gunna go bare foot never thought!!

I have no food or drink even considered! I musta bn away with the fairies wen i first packed.

I did get my indoor plant spray bottle. i do get awful flustered wen im hot so himself has promised to keep me cool by drowning me :) hope the hospital dont mind haha have bn told the delivery suites are tropical tho!!!!

Gosh everyone seems to be nearing the end now. finish line in view :)

Wont b long now ladies :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I wasnt really terrified, I could feel baby moving, and had checked for blood and found nothing so I was concerned, but not quite worried. I work 5 mins from the hospital anyway which is really handy.

When they said "oh we'll find a bed for ya, I was surprised to think they might be keeping me in and I didnt want to ring himself until I was at least getting looked at. I admit I felt a tad emotional when they said that, but once I heard the heartbeat on the monitor nice and steady and baby going mad kicking at being strapped down I relaxed.

Thanks a million for the list. I think I will follow it and leave spare stuff on a spare bed so himself can bring in what I need if I have to stay in. We are not far from the hospital so thats handy for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Cap that's the list I used to pack my bags too. I've split it in to 2 bags, labour bag & ward bag, I've a feeling I've too much packed but it's better than forgeting something. I've labelled both for OH so he can't mess up. I have a 3rd bag for going home that OH can bring in when we're going home.

Only 38 days until D-day :D

Neyite glad you got the all clear from the hospital, it can be scary when you get a fright like that.

Static I'm only bringing one pack of nappies (though have 2 bought so if running low himself can bring the rest in) and half a box of breast pads.

My list for this time is down to one page as I do think I went a bit overboard last time :o

If you're not breastfeeding then just bring the pads, the cream is if you're nipples get sore when breastfeeding, though I forgot I had it with me last time!!

I'm sorry about your mum x

You're right about us nearing the finishing line, we're nearly all into single digit amount of weeks now :eek:

Neyite I'm glad you weren't stressed, so handy being so close to the hospital too! It's no harm like you say to have a test run for the big day :)
    I found it so reassuring the time I went in as the midwives were great and didn't make me feel like I was wasting their time. It gave me a good insight to what things would be like when I went in for the real thing.

Here's my revised list for this time.......

193570.jpg

I'm still going with 2 bags, just need to locate them :)

(I know, how sad am I with my lists :o)

Another nerdy little tip seeing as I'm so into my lists & general admin....I printed out a list & put it into the top of my bag with my name/address/date of birth/patient no. on it.
    When I was admitted last time, they sent my husband down to register me, but he couldn't remember my date of birth & didn't know my patient no.
    This time I have it ready to hand in, save a bit of time.

Also for anyone who carries their hospital notes with them like I do make sure they are with your labour bag, you can manage without almost anything else but your notes are v.important :-)

Excellent suggestions Cap and Ms 2011. Himself would never know my dates, or last check up or whatever so deffo doing that.

He is going to get his own bag, I've decided - with spare tee-shirt, socks, stuff to freshen up with, phone charger, camera, batteries, snacks, and a list for him too. It will probably just be a small bag, but no harm just in case. So between his bag, labour bag, ward bag, birthing ball, pillows, it will be like moving house again!

Im just going to get himself to throw his bits in a plastic bag into the labour bag.
    Does your hospital not have birthing balls Neyite??

V good point on the notes Ms2011. When I went in at 28 weeks last time a particularly rude midwife was very abrupt with me for not bringing my hospital notes/card with me.
    Bearing in mind that I had rang the hospital at 11pm at night anxious at pains I was having, I was told on the phone to come straight in - not to bring anything with me! :mad:

They'll do some giving out if I have to go in any time soon, I've only had 2 hospital clinic appointments and in neither one did I receive my notes card, just the appointment card, so I have no idea what any of my notes say so far!

I could throttle the other half. I found the sports bag I had used last time, in the back garden, covered in slugs :mad:

I shook/scraped off the worst of them & put the bag through 3 cycles in the washing machine.
    I'm hoping it'll dry out ok because it's the perfect size for all my stuff.
    He can have the job of cleaning the remaining slugs out of the door of the washing machine :p

• Advertisement

Btw dunnes are selling off snowsuits atm,i bought a blue one for €7,even though i already have a white one from mothercare :o I always think a snowsuit for the drive home is essential as the hospitals are so warm,it can be a shock to the system to go outside,especially for the babies. Really thinking of either getting this : http://www.kidstravelsafely.com/cosy-car-seat-cover.html or this : http://www.kidstravelsafely.com/newborn-footmuff.html too. How cute are they! Won't forget to pack my maternity clothes either,i remember on my first i asked my mum to bring in my old clothes,luckily she had some cop on and brought both my old clothes and maternity ones,lol. I had thought the bump would just vanish when the baby was out :D

angelll wrote: »
    Won't forget to pack my maternity clothes either,i remember on my first i asked my mum to bring in my old clothes,luckily she had some cop on and brought both my old clothes and maternity ones,lol. I had thought the bump would just vanish when the baby was out :D

My midwife suggested packing clothes that fit you when you were 26 weeks pregnant for going home in and also no tight boots or shoes as your feet swell. She said the amount of women who end up going home in their sliipers because they didn't realise their shoes wouldn't fit was amazing ;)

just a question ladies, have you all had the flu shot?

Everyone in work is barking like dogs with cold and "man flu"... ive never been told on any of my appointments if i should or shouldnt or if i have??

Is there any point now? with only 5 weeks to go?

Everyone in work is barking like dogs with cold and "man flu"... ive never been told on any of my appointments if i should or shouldnt or if i have??

I haven't had it, my midwife said she (off the record) doesn't recommend it to her patiences as she doesn't feel there is enough research done into the side effexts. Plus the flu itself will only effect the mother & not the baby though if you have any underlying issues I would talk to my GP about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

I had it and was fine, although i remember this discussion before on one of the other threads and a few people had been told to be apprehensive due to the lack of research. I'd talk to the gp the next time you're in and see what they recommend.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I haven't had it, my midwife said she (off the record) doesn't recommend it to her patiences as she doesn't feel there is enough research done into the side effexts. Plus the flu itself will only effect the mother & not the baby though if you have any underlying issues I would talk to my GP about it.

My gp told me of women having to go on ventilators, she herself did get it last year while preg and I have read stories of this affecting the baby as well as mother. Made me get it after reading a story in the morning paper.
    Its so annoying when health professionals have different views on things, who should we believe?!?!
    Shuwaaah wrote: »
    I had it and was fine, although i remember this discussion before on one of the other threads and a few people had been told to be apprehensive due to the lack of research. I'd talk to the gp the next time you're in and see what they recommend.

Lots of people I know have had very bad bouts of flu this year and I am glad I got the jab. I never did before and only did as I was pregnant. So I agree you should speak to your gp and make your decision on that as everyone has different views.

Same here. Got the flu jab back in dec and no problems. Had my hospital appointment today. Said there was sugar in my urine but done the finger prick test and all was fine. Phew. Other than that all good. Thank god tomorrow is friday. Going to do nothing all weekend. 6 more working weeks and then on maternity leave. Roll on.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

hi ladies, can I join ye? I am booked in for my section on the 2nd of may in waterford regional hospital with my 4th (and final) boy. So I have just under 10 weeks to go :D.

I already have a 10, 6 and 2 year old

Hi Aruba, welcome on board :) how are you finding the pregnancy so far?
    Does your 2 year old understand yet about the new baby he's getting :)

Angelll those snowsuits are lovely, my sister picked up a white one for me it's lovely and snug :)

Staticdoor, I didn't get the flu jab, though did get the swine flu one when I was pregnant last.
    Touch wood I don't seem to ever really get the flu bad when it is going, so didn't get the jab this time.
    Then again I'm funny about taking any kind of medication while I'm pregnant :rolleyes:

Suucee that's great that your hospital appointment went well :) did you get a scan? I'm not far ahead of you, 5 weeks left in work. God they can not finish soon enough!

• Advertisement

No no scan for me. Enquired at another appointment wheather i get another scan as have only had the 12 week scan and my own private 3d. They told me only get one scan unless they are worried and want to check anything. So have to wait another 8 weeks before i see my lil woman again. Cant wait.

Advertisement