Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wireless button problem ...

Options
  • 05-10-2008 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a Compaq Presario F500 for over a year. It has a wireless button on the front that is orange when in standby mode. When you flick it, it turns blue and picks up the signal. I keep it in the "on" position so when the computer is turned on it changes from orange to blue in the middle of boot-up.

To-day when I turned the computer on it stayed orange for the first time ever. I flicked it back and forth, no change. I checked the folder, everything seems to be there. Oddly enough though, when I go to Control Panel and Click on "Wireless Networks" nothing happens, it's like the programme has disappeared, nothing launches.

This all co-incided with my attempt to analyise and clean duplicate files. I never deleted any, but I did go to windows defender and saw 2 HP wireless programmes in the start up section so I disabled one (not sure which). When the problem arose I went to defender and re-enabled the one I switched off, re-booted but same problem.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have you tried reinstalling the wireless card drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭30something

I'm an idiot, I can't find the CDs the lap top came with.

If I do, can I isolate those and install them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Try installing the drivers on this page, well the network drivers. Compaq drivers

This one that's 3.2 megs?

64374.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No the drivers are the file above the HP assistant

MC

• Advertisement

Okay, I installed the 32m one, followed prompts etc, restarted, no luck.

I installed the 10m one, ran it but I'm not sure its good because after the initial set up dialogue boxes, nothing other then my HD working its socks off. No progress bar or confirmation that it ran sucessfully etc.

Button still not working!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

OKAY, clear out all the drivers for the wifi etc and reboot, upon restart the New Hardware Wizard should start and then point it in the direction of the folder where the drivers for the card are kept. If the drivers come in an *.exe then cancel out of the Wizard and run the .exe, you may nedd to reboot after installation.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kavkid

How about a system restore back to before this problem?

Kavkid wrote: »
    How about a system restore back to before this problem?

Tried that, no joy.
    OKAY, clear out all the drivers for the wifi etc and reboot, upon restart the New Hardware Wizard should start and then point it in the direction of the folder where the drivers for the card are kept. If the drivers come in an *.exe then cancel out of the Wizard and run the .exe, you may nedd to reboot after installation.?

Will try this when I get home but will need some guidance...

I have identified the folder where the wifi stuff is kept, are you suggesting I rename the folder to something like "wifibackup" and then re-boot so that when it boots the wizard will kick in? Or are you suggesting I transfer all files out into a temp folder and then re-boot (or does it make a difference?)

Bump

• Advertisement

Last Bump - New Lap-top needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yo,

Vista HP Compaq laptops need the HP Wireless Assistant for the wireless button to work. This one here did the trick for one of the customers I was supporting today. Oddly, one from 2006 didn't install, and caused problems.

My advice: uninstall the HP assistant, reboot, and install the one from the link above. Tell us how you got on. I'll check back on the thread over the weekend.

the_syco wrote: »
    Yo,

Vista HP Compaq laptops need the HP Wireless Assistant for the wireless button to work. This one here did the trick for one of the customers I was supporting today. Oddly, one from 2006 didn't install, and caused problems.

My advice: uninstall the HP assistant, reboot, and install the one from the link above. Tell us how you got on. I'll check back on the thread over the weekend.

I've just noticed that when I go into Control Panel - Windows Mobility Centre - There is no box for "Wireless PC".

Does this help identify the problem?

Also, what is the "safest" way to uninstall the programme?

Edit: there's no wireless device in my device manager list either???

Okay, I unistalled the version I had and installed syco's version.

Problem still remains.

I now think the adapter is damaged. Is there anyway of verifying this?

Advertisement