Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Perl IDE Linux

Options
  • 21-07-2014 10:46pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just looking to get my hands on a Perl IDE for Linux Mint. Anyone know what I could use for development and testing?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It's okay, I downloaded Komodo for some development.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Actually, scrap that last post. I need another IDE for Linux. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Itzy wrote: »
    Actually, scrap that last post. I need another IDE for Linux. Any suggestions?

Padre or Komodo Edit are free IDEs that are decent and cost nothing. Komodo Edit doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Komodo but it's still useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I've used Padre and Epic, the Perl plugin for Eclipse, I preferred Epic the last time I checked both as it offered more than just syntax checking and navigation, there's inbuilt access to POD::Checker and Perl::Critic with flags raised for any faults so you can track trhrough the code and I'm already familiar with Eclipse so the work flow suits me.

Padre is very easy to set up and provides the basics quite well, last time I used it it was under heavy development, so it may have improved since, Epic on the other hand is more polished but I seem to remember that it was painful to install the last time I set it up from scratch.

Thanks for that lads. I grabbed Komodo Edit and the Perl Plugin for Eclipse, which works really well. I just need to get up to speed again on Perl as it's now a work requirement along side Python, which I already have an IDE for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement