Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a domian

• 12-04-2014 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey

Should I buy .info, .org, and .net as well as .com and .ie

My domain would be very popular ( I know everyone says that but it is)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Is it a Twitter clone?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭teddyboy

Fenster wrote: »
    Is it a Twitter clone?

No why you asking?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

In order of preference: .ie, .com, .org, .net and then .info.

There is .io also, I would imagine that this is suitable for IT websites. .org for non-profits, .net for networking/telecom websites, .info for wikis/local area etc.

It depends on what the website is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Depends on your target market. If it's mostly Irish buy the .ie, and the .com if it's available (point the .com at the .ie), if it's international buy the .com. I wouldn't bother with any of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

is it called facepages?

yep the .org is usually prefered by non-profit orgs and clubs, sometimes prefixed or assosicated with .gov's.

If you don't have .com, your biz plan/napkin sketch is sunk and you'll probably end up getting emails about possible trademark infringes from facemates and pagefrends etc. Read somewhere there are no 5 chars e.g. <12345.coms> available, I have some though, 10k? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Read somewhere there are no 5 chars e.g. <12345.coms> available, I have some though, 10k? :)

I'd well believe it. I've spent hours upon hours looking for an acceptable .com variant of a short .ie domain name I own. I still haven't found one. The only options available seem to be dropping vowels from the name, so for example fcepages.com, might still be going. There are some big-name sites that have done just that, so it's not necessarily a dismissible idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

indeed, tumbler = tumblr.

If only I hadz gotz that 'lolcats'.com when it was still available, and monitised it's utube namesake early on.

Advertisement