Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Static'' caravan tax. Fair?

• 18-04-2012 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

The UK have introduced a static caravan tax. To my understanding it makes a caravan the same as a mobile home, tax wise.

PM has says it closes a loophole in the tax system but it's fair to say that a certain section of society here and there will be targeted by this tax. Not hobbyists or recreational users.

Do we agree with them in the UK? Should we follow suit?

Caravan tax 22 votes

Tax caravans for non leisure use
    0% 0 votes
    Don't tax caravans for non leisure use
    90% 20 votes
    Feck off with yourself
    9% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If this 'van is rockin' then I'm not payin'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can't be expecting ethnic minorities to be paying tax now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Waste of time they pay no tax anyway and contribute nothing to society

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Define "leisure" use. Would Leisure Suit Larry be exempt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Look a donkey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Mobile homes are exempt from any taxes at present in Ireland.
    I know cause I own one.

Van-tastic. I'll mail blip hogan to tell him about this property tax loophole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

good luck to the poor fcukers who have to go knockin on caravan doors tryin to collect that tax

Van-tastic. I'll mail blip hogan to tell him about this property tax loophole.

No letterbox, nobody there 90% of the time.
    Council would have to find someone to work during the weekends in the summer, hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

I know cause I own one.

Ah, another priceless victim. We'll let Filty Phil know and he can double up on your Household/Water/Static Caravan/Holiday home/waste collection/ Septic Tank taxes, which I'm sure as a law abiding Citizen you will only be too happy to cough up:D And sure what's more, if you have a 2nd abode for leisure, feck it, you can well afford to pay for it, like the rest of them. There travelling Wilbery houses are far more luxurious than my static bricks and mortor.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

davet82 wrote: »
    good luck to the poor fcukers who have to go knockin on caravan doors tryin to collect that tax
    No letterbox, nobody there 90% of the time.
    Council would have to find someone to work during the weekends in the summer, hmmmm.

Its actually not a bad idea. Prove its taxed or have it seized. Also allows them to be tracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

tax disk in the window, or have it towed, or exploded

could get the guys from Top Gear over to uphold it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I bet Phil Hogan is reading this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Its actually not a bad idea. Prove its taxed or have it seized. Also allows them to be tracked.

not a bad idea i agree but who's collecting the tax, chuck norris maybe? :rolleyes:

Krispie wrote: »
    Ah, another priceless victim. We'll let Filty Phil know and he can double up on your Household/Water/Static Caravan/Holiday home/waste collection/ Septic Tank taxes, which I'm sure as a law abiding Citizen you will only be too happy to cough up:D And sure what's more, if you have a 2nd abode for leisure, feck it, you can well afford to pay for it, like the rest of them. There travelling Wilbery houses are far more luxurious than my static bricks and mortor.:D:D

Out of my cold dead hands he can pry my money.
    Only way of getting names would be through the ESB, we still get billed for standing charge even when there's no usage.
    Many owners run jennys so there'd be no record of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I bet Phil Hogan is reading this thread

He's too busy working out how much he's going to charge for Internet Tax, but he'll read this later.

Many of these mobiles would have been sitting on blocks for 20 years.
    The axles seized & the chassis rusted to dust, any repossession would easily damage the mobile home then lead to claims against the council.
    Also, many of the roads these mobiles were carried down have had trees or bushes grow up over the years, there might be no way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I know cause I own one.

Shut your mouth ! You dont want to be giving them any ideas now, do you?

:D:D:D:D

You're right of course, I'll amend my initial response, nothing to see here.

He's also working on a Liverpudlian tax.:(

Hogan's already thought this through, I'm afraid. From the Household Charge website:
    I own a mobile home. Is this liable for the household charge?

No. A mobile home is not liable for the household charge.

Now I know that the Household Charge is not the full-blown property tax, and the Expert Group have yet to report back, and no decision has been made with regard to the Property Tax. However, given that mobile homes are not liable for the household charge, it's a safe bet that they won't be liable for the Property Tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I am not making this up. I SWEAR !

We know this household tax is supposed to fund the local authorities but this takes the biscuit.

I just mentioned to the litter-bin-emptier that I hadnt seen him much. He said he is playing catch up as he was on several one day courses for his job driving the mini bin lorry - flat bet with semi circular back on it with shutters.

One of the courses was "How to cross the road without getting knocked down"

That is a direct quote.:eek:

I am not making this up. I SWEAR !

We know this household tax is supposed to fund the local authorities but this takes the biscuit.

I just mentioned to the litter-bin-emptier that I hadnt seen him much. He said he is playing catch up as he was on several one day courses for his job driving the mini bin lorry - flat bet with semi circular back on it with shutters.

One of the courses was "How to cross the road without getting knocked down"

That is a direct quote.:eek:

That wasn't the Safe Cross Code course? I remember doing that course back when I were a lad :P

That wasn't the Safe Cross Code course? I remember doing that course back when I were a lad :P

It obviously paid off because you still seem to be alive.:p

Advertisement