Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japanese Yen

Options
  • 05-01-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

The euro has reached an 11 year low against the Japanese yen today. 1 euro = ~98.7 yen.

In the past 2 years the yen has risen by more than 25%. If a Japanese person was working in Europe whilst getting paid in yen, thats a salary increase of 25% for nothing! On the other hand, for a foreigner working in Japan who is being paid in euro, thats an effective salary decrease of 25% (I've met people in both these scenarios by the way)! Crazy..

Anyone any thoughts on this? It means going on holiday to Japan at the moment could prove to be seriously expensive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I buy a fair few figures from Japan every month so this exchange rate is seriously depressing. I recently saw a post on a forum from 2 years ago where someone had bought 390 euro worth of figures or something - but at today's exchange rate the same total in yen would have cost just over 500 euro! That's crazy :(

Most of my figures are pre-ordered months in advance too so what I may have estimated as 60 euro say at the time of pre-order will end up costing more than that when it comes time to actually pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Yeah that sucks alright. Anyone importing form Japan as a living right now must be in a seriously tight situation.

I bought a bottle of Asahi for a pretty reasonable price in Dublin the other day.. wonder how much it will be next time I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yea, it's been quite a change, even recently.

The only think I've ever bought in Yen was my DXtory licence, which at ¥3600 cost me €33.50 back in August. At today's rates it'd be €36.77. That's a 10% increase just in the past 6 months alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

It's actually good for those of us living here! I've changed some of my money into Euro just in case this doesn't last forever. It's like a trading stock market!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

Not being an economist or anything I don't understand how the Yen is maintaining and even strengthening against other major currencies. Given the effect of the tsunami on their already sluggish economy you'd think it would be falling in value if anything. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Planning a trip there this year and I'm hoping the Yen won't be as strong, I was there for a week a couple of years ago and my eyes watered at the price of some things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

As an aside this is a good blog on Japanese economic affairs that I sometime read, from an Irishman based in Tokyo no less.

http://www.fingleton.net/

I still can't make head nor tail on the Yens value however.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

RadioClash wrote: »

I still can't make head nor tail on the Yens value however.

Your buying power is beginning to shrink against the euro as from Fridays 24th close of business .Had you bought Euro on the strength of the yen,
    If by Wednesday 29th and the Yen continues to rise , keep the Euro and watch for an opportunity to buy sterling before Threadneedle Street starts to get jumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

As of today, I can get nearly 108 yen for my euro on TransferMate. I'm very pleased I didn't lock in the rate a couple of days ago at 104.

I'll be earning in euro and paying rent in yen for the next year. The house we're planning to rent is 110,000 JPY per month. If the rates continue to move in our favour, that could end up at less than €1000 per month, as opposed to more than €1100 a few weeks ago.

@hibby

I'm guessing you are contracted to Japan from a European company as is you say "Paid in Euros" , that being the case your contract will expire and you will be making a return to base at some stage .

Japan is planning a hike in consumption tax, keeping that in mind plus the time you are contracted for, it might be an idea to purchase a nice decent looking car , six months before your contract runs out.

Bring the car back with you ,(6 months ownership is required to bring home personal belongings) . it will save you VAT & VRT and it only costs you a grand to ship it RORO . Keep it for a year and you're good to flog it.

You may be lucky and get another stint in Japan with the company and of course repeat the process . If you're married or with a partner, bring home two . (I'd be interested in one of them ) = the car not the partner

By the way I like the Step Wagon (LWB)

Thanks for the excellent advice.

I didn't know the tax is going up. I will be seconded to a Japanese company by my employer in Ireland, who will continue to pay me in euros as normal. The secondment will last for one year.

As it happens we intend to buy a car for our own use in Japan and ship it home (for our own use in Ireland). But we have the option of buying a second car to sell in Ireland and it might be worth doing if we can tie up that amount of cash for a year and a half.

shindig-jp wrote: »
    @hibby

I'm guessing you are contracted to Japan from a European company as is you say "Paid in Euros" , that being the case your contract will expire and you will be making a return to base at some stage .

Japan is planning a hike in consumption tax, keeping that in mind plus the time you are contracted for, it might be an idea to purchase a nice decent looking car , six months before your contract runs out.

Bring the car back with you ,(6 months ownership is required to bring home personal belongings) . it will save you VAT & VRT and it only costs you a grand to ship it RORO . Keep it for a year and you're good to flog it.

You may be lucky and get another stint in Japan with the company and of course repeat the process . If you're married or with a partner, bring home two . (I'd be interested in one of them ) = the car not the partner

By the way I like the Step Wagon (LWB)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I'v seen the yen is now at ¥120 for €1 which is great! Probably the highest it's been in about 2 years? It seems to have been gradually increasing in the past few months so hopefully it would be nice to see it hit ¥130 for €1 again.

The Japanese Government have introduced a stimulus package to help with economic growth in the long term so hopefully the yen will now start stabilising, particularly to increase tourism.

I'v seen the yen is now at ¥120 for €1 which is great! Probably the highest it's been in about 2 years? It seems to have been gradually increasing in the past few months so hopefully it would be nice to see it hit ¥130 for €1 again.

The Japanese Government have introduced a stimulus package to help with economic growth in the long term so hopefully the yen will now start stabilising, particularly to increase tourism.

This is very good news for me. (As posted above, earning in euros and paying in yen.)

I've been transferring money to Japan at the end of each month, after I get paid. 3000 euro a month to cover rent and living expenses. The difference between 1 EUR = 96 JPY and 1 EUR = 120 JPY is huge: it's equivalent to an extra 720 euros per month!

Needless to say I've been following the EUR/JPY rate very closely over the past months and am delighted with this recent development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I approve of this exchange rate <3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The Yen to Euro exchange rate is currently the highest I have seen it since 2009. According to xe.com €1 will get you ¥142.469

Anyone thinking of planning a holiday to Japan, this year might be a good year to do so!

The Yen to Euro exchange rate is currently the highest I have seen it since 2009. According to xe.com €1 will get you ¥142.469

Anyone thinking of planning a holiday to Japan, this year might be a good year to do so!

Consumption Tax kicks in on April 1st this year , 5% rising to 8%.

Over the years I have found the best exchange rates are to be had at the airports on the Japanese side.

The market’s momentum and positioning for further yen weakness as the Bank of Japan prints money, we may see the yen back to it's January 2014 value against the Euro . Good news for anyone buying

Advertisement