Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nudity

Options
  • 23-07-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I know this was a topic before but a friend of mine recently asked me and I couldn't give him an answer.

He is new to tri and racing without a Tri Suit. Meaning he takes off his wetsuit, his torso is exposed for a short period and he dons a t shirt.

I did this myself when i started without any problems.

Is he liable to be DQ'd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Nudity rocks.
    (but only female 20-40 nudity, where 12< BF% < 25%)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

does the same apply to adventure races?

_DMac_ wrote: »
    does the same apply to adventure races?

Don't think there are any rules relating to attire in AR. There are specific rules in triathlon in the manual of guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

no.. doesnt apply to adventure races

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Liable - yes.
    Likely - no.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Liable - yes.
    Likely - no.

You're an awful man.

Ambiguity over the enforcement of the rules doesn't help anyone. No wonder this place is alive with more discussions than Joe Duffy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

AKW wrote: »
    You're an awful man.

Ambiguity over the enforcement of the rules doesn't help anyone. No wonder this place is alive with more discussions than Joe Duffy!!

No problem swimming in speedos or jammers barechest in a pool Tri. Aren't the rules the same for pool swims as for OW swims?

To the OP: it'd be an awful jobsworth who DQ'ed you on the day for changing tops. Unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I almost got DQ'd last yeat in Athlone for coasting across to transition on the bike with helmet strap open. Clearly this marshall loved his job.

Re nudity. I heard a funny quote before. "I've seen 50 fannys the thought of checkin one out while my hearts about to jump out of my chest has never occurred to me."

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I almost got DQ'd last yeat in Athlone for coasting across to transition on the bike with helmet strap open. Clearly this marshall loved his job.

Thats completely fair enough and I think every TO would do you for that.
    Re nudity. I heard a funny quote before. "I've seen 50 fannys the thought of checkin one out while my hearts about to jump out of my chest has never occurred to me."

Occurred to me, cost me a good 30 seconds in T1 in Frankfurt in 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Have seen a small number of competitors in togs in the recent club aquathons and no issue coming into/in transition so go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

In fairness there is no comparison between a helmet violation (safety issue) and a minor nudity violation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Its nearly mandatory in adventure racing i've seen things I can never unsee

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Bazzy wrote: »
    Its nearly mandatory in adventure racing i've seen things I can never unsee

go on....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

In actual adventure racing its very common. Being the shy type might get you a kick up the arse from your teammates to hurry up in a transition. Was at one world champs which had a small cliff dive section jammed into the middle of a big mountain biking leg, and I'd say about 90% of competitors just stripped naked and jumped (twas only a short swim to get back around to the clothes).

This heat keeps up for the Beast and there could be a whole new approach to race wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tunney wrote: »
    Thats completely fair enough and I think every TO would do you for that

During the race I'd agree I was on my way into rack my bike and set up trans.

He told me if you're caught cycling without a helmet up to a week prior to an event you can be DQ'd

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

During the race I'd agree I was on my way into rack my bike and set up trans.

He told me if you're caught cycling without a helmet up to a week prior to an event you can be DQ'd

FFS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I like it, a TO with humour

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

Did the Belpark Aquathon last night. The Marshalls made a point before the race that there could be no bare torsos in transition.

Lot of guys had to go find their T Shirts and wear them inder their wetsuits..

Surely there should be a difference between nudity and bare torsos which every triathlete sees week in week out in the pool!

What if you're reeeeally hairy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

shansey wrote: »

Or like me and wear plasters on your nipples? Exactly what part of the torso causes offence?

This is getting ridiculous now. Does every event now need a changing tent for those of us who don't wear tri suits under our wetsuits?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Did the Belpark Aquathon last night. The Marshalls made a point before the race that there could be no bare torsos in transition.

Lot of guys had to go find their T Shirts and wear them inder their wetsuits..

Surely there should be a difference between nudity and bare torsos which every triathlete sees week in week out in the pool!

It is crazy, but it is a rule, and is supposed to be applied equally to both genders, even if that doesnt make sense. It was never enforced like this till that lovely lady got onto Joe Duffy ages ago because she was dq'ed for getting her baps out in transition.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Or like me and wear plasters on your nipples? Exactly what part of the torso causes offence?

This is getting ridiculous now. Does every event now need a changing tent for those of us who don't wear tri suits under our wetsuits?

No need for changing tents, wear a base layer top or a trisuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I queried the use of swimsuits in (pool-based) aquathlons earlier this year from TI. Reply, "fine to wear swim trunks instead of a trisuit."

It's a farce that this is even up for debate. A bare male torso isn't nudity.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I queried the use of swimsuits in (pool-based) aquathlons earlier this year from TI. Reply, "fine to wear swim trunks instead of a trisuit."

It's a farce that this is even up for debate. A bare male torso isn't nudity.

EQUAL RIGHTS, EQUAL RIGHTS, EQUAL RIGHTS[1]

[1]not sure what colour this should be in

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

Oryx wrote: »
    It is crazy, but it is a rule, and is supposed to be applied equally to both genders, even if that doesnt make sense. It was never enforced like this till that lovely lady got onto Joe Duffy ages ago because she was dq'ed for getting her baps out in transition.

See i'd have no problem with that...

See i'd have no problem with that...

the baps were gone off

tunney wrote: »
    the baps were gone off

Was there a BBD stamp? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

AKW wrote: »
    No need for changing tents, wear a base layer top or a trisuit.

Thanks for the advice. After 7 seasons of triathlon I'm surprised I never thought of that myself :rolleyes:

The point is what if I don't want to wear a base layer or a trisuit. Making me buy a trisuit or a suitable base layer just adds more cost to an already expensive sport. I'm doing an IM next month where bib shorts are a must, so I will be wearing tri shorts for the swim under my wetsuit and nothing else - in T1 I will be putting on bib shorts over the tri shorts and a cycling jersey. Now I must either wear a trisuit / base layer under my jersey or find a changing tent. Its verging on the farcical.

• Advertisement

I'm doing an IM next month where bib shorts are a must, so I will be wearing tri shorts for the swim under my wetsuit and nothing else - in T1 I will be putting on bib shorts over the tri shorts and a cycling jersey. Now I must either wear a trisuit / base layer under my jersey or find a changing tent. Its verging on the farcical.

What what a horrific idea.

I'm doing an IM next month where bib shorts are a must

No they are in no way a must. I'm not sure I actually know anyone who did this. ever.

so I will be wearing tri shorts for the swim under my wetsuit and nothing else .

Got this, seems fine, although if wearing bib shorts would you not
    (a) wear speedos
    (b) wear nothing but the wetsuit
    I will be putting on bib shorts over the tri shorts and a cycling jersey.

Shorts over shorts???? Really???? Why???
    Now I must either wear a trisuit / base layer under my jersey or find a changing tent.

In most IMs you have to use the changing tent.

Advertisement