Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick v. Wexford, SHC QF, Semple Stadium @ 2pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭shmeee

bruschi wrote: »
    is this some sort of new phenomenon in GAA? Who said they were the best fans in the world? the same thing comes up year after year with every big game thats on. they had a big crowd for their last 2 games, do you say the same thing when the AI final comes around and people cant get tickets? ye only had x amount at the first game, sure why would ye need more now.

The Wexford Chairman is making a show of himself now!

And he vowed: ‘I will not be using my Ard Comhairle tickets. I will be handing them over to someone who deserves them and is unable to stand on the terrace.

“I will be taking my place on the terrace with the greatest supporters in the country."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/thurles-not-model-venue-for-devereux-276404.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

shmeee wrote: »
    The Wexford Chairman is making a show of himself now!

And he vowed: ‘I will not be using my Ard Comhairle tickets. I will be handing them over to someone who deserves them and is unable to stand on the terrace.

“I will be taking my place on the terrace with the greatest supporters in the country."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/thurles-not-model-venue-for-devereux-276404.html

he's talking about going up in the town end terrace with the Limerick ultras with their mad chants and smoke bombs and flares.

he's talking about going up in the town end terrace with the Limerick ultras with their mad chants and smoke bombs and flares.

And their Celtic Jersies!

And matching white umbro trackies. :D

I'll be working in town before the game and can be sure they will cause a bit of trouble, just childish messing in offies and pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

I'll be working in town before the game and can be sure they will cause a bit of trouble, just childish messing in offies and pubs.

They'll fit in well with the knuckle draggers from Tipp who go to the terraces

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

On the match for me we need to score goals .. we will not out point limerick. We average just under 3 per game we hit that ratio again we have a good chance.

Now it can be argued and I would agree this is the best full back line we have faced but in every game we have played since late may (championship/practice) we are creating double the goal chances we are taking.. we need to be more ruthless

Praying Rossi starts and all signs suggest he will because to me he is the only one with the brain and skill to be able to mark mulcahy who personally I see as limericks biggest treat.

Anyway come what may been one hell of a road to here and had yoy offered me a Qf place last September I would have gladly takin it. We have the capability to stretch this run for another game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Is there no mods around here? This is the wx v lk match thread not the ticket thread.

gizmo23 wrote: »
    On the match for me we need to score goals .. we will not out point limerick. We average just under 3 per game we hit that ratio again we have a good chance.

Now it can be argued and I would agree this is the best full back line we have faced but in every game we have played since late may (championship/practice) we are creating double the goal chances we are taking.. we need to be more ruthless

Praying Rossi starts and all signs suggest he will because to me he is the only one with the brain and skill to be able to mark mulcahy who personally I see as limericks biggest treat.

Anyway come what may been one hell of a road to here and had yoy offered me a Qf place last September I would have gladly takin it. We have the capability to stretch this run for another game.

Ye need to feed McDonald, good quality ball in and ye are a massive goal threat. Limerick will bang over scores from all over the pitch and from what I've seen, some of Wexfords shooting from distance has been poor or wrong option taken.

I'm leaning with Limerick by a few pulling away near the end. Wexford players have had some hard battles and it might show, like with Galway in the last 20 minutes against Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Seriously?..
    Ah come on.lads little harsh!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Seriously?..
    Ah come on.lads little harsh!

Every county has them for sure. Limerick was just in the subject!

I'll have problems with supporters from all counties on Sunday over drink for sure and if it is like the weather in Thurles today, it will be a smashing day in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Lol at the whinging about 2k stand tickets and no mention of what everyone else got. 2k may be fair or unfair, you haven't a clue unless you know where the rest went. 10k couldve gone on general sale with another 3k going to sponsers etc, leaving 13k to be divided between counties and leaving Wexford with a fair share considering the size of their support compared with the others. You have to factor in tickets going to season ticket holders also

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Lol at the whinging about 2k stand tickets and no mention of what everyone else got. 2k may be fair or unfair, you haven't a clue unless you know where the rest went. 10k couldve gone on general sale with another 3k going to sponsers etc, leaving 13k to be divided between counties and leaving Wexford with a fair share considering the size of their support compared with the others. You have to factor in tickets going to season ticket holders also

Many clubs in Tipp are in the same boat, they promised members the €10 club tickets and now none to be got, only terrace for those who asked, but is it all over the media, NO.

Supporters have since went and got their own stand tickets either before they sold out or are just going to the terrace.

A few lads asked me for stand tickets, I couldn't get more than what I got for myself and the usual few. No complaining though, they are just going to the terrace. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Ye need to feed McDonald, good quality ball in and ye are a massive goal threat. Limerick will bang over scores from all over the pitch and from what I've seen, some of Wexfords shooting from distance has been poor or wrong option taken.

I'm leaning with Limerick by a few pulling away near the end. Wexford players have had some hard battles and it might show, like with Galway in the last 20 minutes against Tipp.

Tbh I think McGovern is our ace card limerick will be will drilled on McDonald. I said it on Saturday last our big failure was our over reliance on the chap. He is just turned 19 and is a truely exceptional talent but he can't be expected to care this team we need to vary pur play like we did first half in Ennis and first 20 on Saturday.

With oge wide pitches suit him to the ground. As we saw in Ennis and wexford park isolate him one on one and 9/10 he is going to beat his man. It's imperative we get him motoring from get go.

The whole four weeks in a row thing to me is a load of codswallop. As a player would you rather train or play matches. Nothing heels muscles like the scent of victory. If we lose to me four weeks in a row would be a lame lame excuse. If we lose we lost to the better team end of.

gizmo23 wrote: »
    Tbh I think McGovern is our ace card limerick will be will drilled on McDonald. I said it on Saturday last our big failure was our over reliance on the chap. He is just turned 19 and is a truely exceptional talent but he can't be expected to care this team we need to vary pur play like we did first half in Ennis and first 20 on Saturday.

With oge wide pitches suit him to the ground. As we saw in Ennis and wexford park isolate him one on one and 9/10 he is going to beat his man. It's imperative we get him motoring from get go.

The whole four weeks in a row thing to me is a load of codswallop. As a player would you rather train or play matches. Nothing heels muscles like the scent of victory. If we lose to me four weeks in a row would be a lame lame excuse. If we lose we lost to the better team end of.

Likewise, games bring you on and give you the momentum needed but Galway did die a death in the wide spaces of Semple near the end. When was the last time many of this Wexford team played in Thurles?

The pitch is in some condition up there, a carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Don't mind a bit of banter between oppossing fans as long as people don't cross the line - some posts are very close to/ have crossed the line. It stops now or I start with the cards.

Btw - the mods, despite what some think, are not omnipresent - report a post if you have a problem with it - one of us will eventually get around to reviewing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Rightlad91

Hi lads, I have stand tickets ( great section too) available to purchase for sundays game. Pm if interested thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

We're mad craic altogether ;)

I don't really agree with the whole smoke bomb thing, but they did look pretty cool on the day imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Rightlad91 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I have stand tickets ( great section too) available to purchase for sundays game. Pm if interested thanks

Starting to trickle through already as predicted.
    Well done for offering them to posters here.

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Yeah you're right sure. 10k could have gone on general sale. Last Tuesday before Wexford even qualified but the other 3 counties had ample chance to purchase. Why put tickets on sale when only 3 of four counties have qualified? The new stand was sold out online and on Monday morning only single old stand tickets were available.

But anyway, made my point. No matter how you look at it the Gaa made a shambles of their distribution. At least some on here can see the illogical manner of how they did it. The Waterford minors were shafted even more so.

Does anyone think moving Hannon to the half-back line will improve the team, and get a better performance from Hannon himself?

I personally don't. But then I'm a fan of strong ball-winners in that line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Grats wrote: »
    A small support from Wexford in Ennis and likewise from Clare in Wexford Park confirms my earlier post regarding home advantage. It shouldn't happen for a knock out game, too much at stake. Had the a Wexford v Clare game been in Thurles you would have had an equal number of supporters.

Thurles next Sunday will have a huge Tipp support and a very small Dublin one. Had the game been in Portlaoise you would get more Dubs down.

Don't anybody try to convince me that home advantage doesn't matter. Tipp have a clear advantage on Sun. Their supporters are back following them having almost abandoned the team just a few games ago.

Limerick and Wexford will be a fairer match in terms of support and venue. I do think that Limerick won't allow Wexford the same room as Waterford did. Another noticeable thing from the game in Nowlan Park was the time a player had on the ball without a challenge and how slow the ball was moved at times. Wexford won't have that same luxury against Limerick. I expect Limerick to shade it.

Portlaoise is a minimum 50 mins on a train from Heuston, that's shortest journey. You can get trains to Thurles is 1hr 10 mins. That is a ridiculous excuse.

Compared to Wexford and Clare supporters, who had to travel a 6 hour minimum round trip, probably more. Gorey is 2 hours from where I live, and Ennis near enough the same. Not saying it's the most direct route, but if you did it that way it would take about 7 and a half hours, compare to about 2 and a half for Dublin fans.

Not saying home advantage isn't an advantage, of course it is, but Dublin will bring a small crowd because they were hammered in the Leinster final and football is their sport. If it was on in Portlaoise they'd still be vastly outnumbered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Does anyone think moving Hannon to the half-back line will improve the team, and get a better performance from Hannon himself?

I personally don't. But then I'm a fan of strong ball-winners in that line...

Mullane does but I don't agree. I think ye just need to get him on the ball more. He has show some serious power when bearing down on goal in both games so far, it's just for one reason or another he hardly ever ends up in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

citykat wrote: »
    One thing to bear in mind. There'll be three sets of supporters cheering on Dublin. If the dubs give them something to cheer about the Tipp fans could be drowned out on their home patch. Wouldn't that be a sight?

I'll be in thurles sunday and won't be cheering Dublin in the second game and I would say most Wexford people don't have any gripe with Tipp. Webjust don't have any history with them. I won't be cheering Tipp either, I just want a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

McDonald is a serous talent but is only 18 and will be watched like a hawk. McGovern and Morris are the men we need to really look to. If you look at the majority of our goal chances it is the movement of these two that is creating most of these chances.

Mullane does but I don't agree. I think ye just need to get him on the ball more. He has show some serious power when bearing down on goal in both games so far, it's just for one reason or another he hardly ever ends up in that situation.

Agree with that for sure.

Has serious talent with ball in hand, but doesn't get it enough. Think we're utilising him wrong, but also think he struggles against physical backs.

Hannon was class at centre-back at underage level, but he was a different class to pretty much everyone he played against. That's not true at senior level... while he still has talent, there are lots of other very good players, and they are smarter and raw talent won't pull you through.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Agree with that for sure.

Has serious talent with ball in hand, but doesn't get it enough. Think we're utilising him wrong, but also think he struggles against physical backs.

Hannon was class at centre-back at underage level, but he was a different class to pretty much everyone he played against. That's not true at senior level... while he still has talent, there are lots of other very good players, and they are smarter and raw talent won't pull you through.

Do you reckon he could be used in the new craze of playing sweepers? Would give him the freedom of playing around the half back line without the pressure of the defensive side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Rightwing wrote: »
    If Limerick can't win this one, I'll give up.

Limerick are capable of doing anything which involves freezing on the tv. I give Wexford a good chance. Remember 1996?

Do you reckon he could be used in the new craze of playing sweepers? Would give him the freedom of playing around the half back line without the pressure of the defensive side of things

Possibly... I have envisioned him playing behind the forward line, just ahead of our two midfielders, and sweeping up in that area. That way, we still get the benefit of his point-scoring abilities, which are still considerable... he did score one monster point. He is an attacking player by nature, after all.

But yeah, I could see how he could play as a half-back sweeper, but I always imagine those players as being super fit, very quick as well as being well able to read the game. I'd probably have someone like Cathal King or Seamus Hickey performing that role for Limerick if anyone, I just don't think Hannon looks fully fit this season. But maybe he'd benefit from it, and also help shore up our defensive problems all in one go. But with our midfielders both playing very deep at times already, it would leave us somewhat limited up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Amprodude wrote: »
    Limerick are capable of doing anything which involves freezing on the tv. I give Wexford a good chance. Remember 1996?

You have a real gripe about Limerick for some reason. Of course Wexford have a chance but what does it have to do with freezing on TV.

I remember 96 alright. We gave ye a hiding down in the Pairc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Wexford beat an off form Clare team and they also made heavy work out of beating a Waterford team who are managed by a bluffer.Limerick are at their best when their written off.They played well against us and they are a much more proven team than Wexford.This Limerick forward line has the potential to cause carnage if they ignite.All this hype over Wexford will suit Limerick fine.The Wexford supporters are getting giddy but i think this is as good as it's going to get for them!I honestly expect this Limerick to beat Wexford pretty comfortably if they play to their full potential.This is a serious Limerick team with some serious hurlers in it.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

I do think Limerick will win... I think we hurled pretty well against Cork, a few tweaks and we're a match for anyone. Wexford are to be respected but not feared. Limerick are favourites with the bookies, but I actually think it's good that some people are talking up Wexford and that they were impressive against Waterford... it will go some way to eliminate, no matter how small the chance was, of them underestimating Wexford.

We'll have to perform, because Wexford will punish us otherwise, but I think we have the better team as of now. It'll be tight, but I just think that if Mulcahy gets space inside, he'll cause huge damage.

I do worry a bit about McDonald, not as a constant threat, but he only has to beat Richie once or twice around the edge of the square and we're in big trouble.

Advertisement