Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what happened the divers in Baltimore?

• 02-07-2014 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I heard on the radio today two divers died off the coast of Ireland, what happened them that caused this tragic event?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I'm sure that the authorities will release details at a later date, if appropriate. Perhaps after the inquest or inquiry. Until then, I'm sure that almost anything (other than what's been reported in the news) that might be posted would be pure speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Is that the 4th death this year? Obviously there's little point in speculation till the inquiry is made public. But is this the worst year yet for death's in diving? If so what has caused it??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Is that the 4th death this year? Obviously there's little point in speculation till the inquiry is made public. But is this the worst year yet for death's in diving? If so what has caused it??

It might be a simple numbers thing. The country is basically out of recession and I think a lot of people have started to learn to dive. It's very expensive after all.
    I started last year. Also, the increase in groupon type deals makes it more accessible to get started these days.
    More people in the water = increase in possible injuries/deaths.

I have only been at it for less than a year with 25 dives under my belt so I am probably not qualified to speculate but I suspect that some clubs might have a much higher student to instructor ratio than is necessarily safe.

My instructor keeps it small. Two divers per instructor / dive master.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

the main reason I am interested to make me a safer diver. The airline industry embraces tragic event to make much safer planes and procedures. It would good to see something similar with diving accidents, taking the lessons and making the sport safer.

mraie wrote: »
    the main reason I am interested to make me a safer diver. The airline industry embraces tragic event to make much safer planes and procedures. It would good to see something similar with diving accidents, taking the lessons and making the sport safer.

Same with accidents in other water sports as well, we need to know if people are getting into trouble because of simple mistakes (ones some of us could easily make this weekend) or are the circumstances just really bad luck which couldn't be controlled.

Either way very sad news for the families of those concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'm gonig to lock this up to avoid any speculation in regards to this specific incident.

I would encourage an open discussion regarding safe diving practices/gear configuration/gas managment/buddy seperation procedure/training level etc etc in another thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement