Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My crazy class

Options
  • 15-12-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi all - looking for some advice here

I have a group of students for English five periods a week. They are..to put it bluntly, absaloutley mental. Their behaviour is by far, the worst I have ever seen and I'm at that stage where I have tried literally EVERYTHING the textbooks are saying. I've only been teaching properly a year and a half so I'm still a little bit new to the whole thing and I'm really at a loss as to what to do with this class.

Some background information:

25 students, 22 boys and only 3 girls aged 12 and 13.

Lots of EAL students and students with very low-abilities and with VERY short attention spans (I'm talking about 10 seconds here)

Lessons are very differentiated - lots of vocabulary work, some VAK, differentiated questioning, group work, pair work etc.

Quite a lot of the students are unable to leave basic issues or problems at the door. They drag lots of minor arguments around with them and vent them at each other constantly.
    Today, two of them got into a physical fight at the end of the lesson (he said this, but he said this first! etc)
    Another student burst into tears and threw a tantrum when I pointed out he had missed a couple of important tests and would need to catch up.
    One student stormed out when I gave him a warning for not doing any of his work.
    Other students watch this and then themselves get involved. I've gone all the way with school sanctions, detentions, phoning home and then lots of praise and rewards and stickers when they get it right. I'm at the end of my tether with this group and I'm finding it so difficult to get any enjoyment out of teaching them.

Any advice appreciated :(

Exhausted teacher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Talk to their class teacher/yr head/another subject teacher that knows that group really well. Sort out a seating plan that really works well. This can make the world of difference. Also ask quietly for ideas/support on the discipline side of things. Do not allow others to get involved in disciplinary action - to avoid this it's best to speak to students after class IMO - see the student that burst into tears re having to catch up. Just have a quiet word at the end of class. Be specific about what needs doing. Don't make over elaborate idle threats - eg you must do all the tests missed. You've 4 days till Xmas hols. This isn't feasible so no point saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

From some of the language you use, I gather that youre teaching in the UK.. correct me if I'm wrong. A lot of schools in England would have procedures in place for removing students from the classroom temporarily if you have exhausted other sanction. You might want to look into this as it sounds like one of the only options you have left.

I have found the attitude of some principals in the UK hard to stomach. They seem to think that behaviour problems are down to poor teaching - wrecks my head - but I have heard of management sitting in on particularly bad classes to monitor behaviour. Dont stress if this option is mentioned because it sounds like youre doing everything youre supposed to be, its just the kids dont want to work with you.

I have a similar class this year, but with much smaller number of students. They still drive me nuts and nothing seems to work. I find a writing task at the start of lesson helps to settle them but I often have to provide pens and paper! In a class like this group work can be counter productive sometimes. If they like group work tasks you could use these as rewards and only allow activities when the entire class is working as they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

First thing I would stop is group work/pair work until individual behavior is improved.
    If this means that they have to write/take down notes, as opposed to doing lots of "fun" activities and differentiated lessons for a few weeks, then so be it.
    All of the above is pointless unless there is a learning environment.
    Concentrate on the discipline/class control first.
    Teaching and learning will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I had a group like this last year. Nothing seemed to work. I spoke to other teachers who had them, some thought chage was possible, others despaired! Drove me crazy.

I observed them in other classes, especially the really disruptive students. This freaked them out when I saw them behaving for certain other teachers (they were still disruptive for others). I also spoke to the head of my dept and we figured out a 'report' system. I wrote a short report on a few of the worst ones at the end of lessons and then head of dept would have a quick meeting with them at the end of each week. I also had two of the instigators removed from my lessons for a a couple of lessons - this showed the rest of the class I meant business. I had various SLT sit in the class with me. I went MENTAL in a few lesson and just roared at them about their behaviour ( this impressed some, they seem to only think your serious when you lose it?! - I tried everything!

What topic are you covering with them? My group were a set 5, I had to be very careful not to present material that toook too long to start, was too wordy, etc.

It is really, really exhausting having a group like this. They ruined my days at times. I sympathise!! It could be an ongoing battle for a while. Did they really like their last teacher? I found mine just didn't cope with a change in teacher. Also, know the learning support plans inside out. I didn't and this caused me grief. Do you have TA in with you? Get one?

Phil Beadle writes well about such groups. He could be worth a google. He's from the UK system and works in disadvantaged areas.

Hope some of that helps. Don't like the buggers get to you!!! Enjoy your 'nice' groups when you can. I let that bad group ruin my confidence teaching. I had some of them in a resource group once a week too - also a disaster. I don't understand how in the UK they leave such groups together. It would make so much sense to split them up into different groups - swap in some 'good' students and mix up the group. Or why parents don't go mad that their kid in in with absolute messers.

Good luck!! You CAN do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    First thing I would stop is group work/pair work until individual behavior is improved.
    If this means that they have to write/take down notes, as opposed to doing lots of "fun" activities and differentiated lessons for a few weeks, then so be it.
    All of the above is pointless unless there is a learning environment.
    Concentrate on the discipline/class control first.
    Teaching and learning will follow.

Not sure the notes thing would work. If they are a weak class that could send them into meltdown. UK kids barely ever have to write notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Thanks all.

Yes, I am in the UK and yes, bad behaviour is *always* blamed on the teacher. We're usually blamed for not making the lesson engaging and exciting enough, but it's a double-edged sword. Of course I'm not going to risk doing debates / presentations / lots of group work / experimental new activities with a rowdy class - only my well-behaved sets.

Yes I have a TA. Let's just say she's not overly-fond of them either :)

Any more tips would be massively appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Afroshack wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Yes, I am in the UK and yes, bad behaviour is *always* blamed on the teacher. We're usually blamed for not making the lesson engaging and exciting enough, but it's a double-edged sword. Of course I'm not going to risk doing debates / presentations / lots of group work / experimental new activities with a rowdy class - only my well-behaved sets.

That drove me nuts when I was in the UK but when I had the lower set I was advised not to do group work with them!! By my dept head!! There was one activity where I had no choice and when kids acted up they were down the back doing worksheets. You might be expecting too much of yourself.
    Afroshack wrote: »
    Yes I have a TA. Let's just say she's not overly-fond of them either :)

Any more tips would be massively appreciated!

If the TA is more familiar with the group than you, they may be your best source of advice. Who's the ringleader(s)? What seating arrangements work? Which students work better annotating notes/highlighting, rather than writing from board? Who is terrified of their parents been called?

Sometimes with these classes just sticking it out and showing them youre not going anywhere will be enough to get them to cop onto themselves.. a little bit. I had a group that had 4 different teachers the previous year. They didnt expect to see me after Xmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

there's lots of odd dynamics in every class , especially among the crazies.!. The key is showing them that your main interest is your subject and their learning. Sometimes needy groups don't get the point of the" well crafted multi- layered differentiated lesson ( with a numeracy element and incorporating a anti racist theme )" I taught in london back in the 90.S. They do want calm and stability and respect. Make small things easy . give them pens. do the feedback and tell off s quietly , if possible afterwards. They want to be getting the message that whats most important to you is the subject. You love it ., mad about it, its important and relevant. Try to track them a bit through the school. Chat if possible individually to the chief nutters. about sport , their mates , maybe their life. Its interesting what connect with a kid.
    It take lots of time, its not personal , its not you but there are things you can do. No one thing will sort everything but over time it improves. breath slow!:)
    :

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have a read of Bill Rogers "Cracking the Hard Class."

Advertisement