Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aftermarket auto dimming mirror?

Options
  • 27-10-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭

Anyone fit one? Looking at the gentex models. Not sure how easy to fit to 2014 civic
    Cheers
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd check the likes of civinfo first. I know my last shape civic has an unusual setup on the mirror base for the rain sensors or auto lights or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah i have a thread there but not any replies...

i have seen where its been fitted to the 8th gen but not the 9th.. its the one accessory i'd like to add as i dont know how many times i was blinded over the weekend with cars behind me eithern not dimming, having unfocused lights or cars with to bright of bulb in their car

There was an 8th gen OE dimming mirror on ebay not sure what wiring you'd need.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Either get an oem mirror and figure out the signals or you could just buy a gentex mirror off ebay and it just needs power

Thanks guys

Looking at this mirror

http://www.parkingsensoronline.co.uk/gentex-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror-genk2-p-245.html

Anyone you might recommend to fit to my car? I've seen some video on youtube of them being fitted and it looks like the dome lighting fixture comes out, you run the cabling along the roof lining, the cover needs to come off the windscreen/door frame and the wire is run down and connected in to the fuse box... only complication i can see is that there is an airbag built into the front pillar. Would that complicate removing the covering?

I dont want to do it myself, and i dont want to do it at all, if its not going to be seamless with the car and you cant see the wiring etc

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement

The airbag unit would be attached to the car rather than the plastic trim.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The airbag unit would be attached to the car rather than the plastic trim.
    I guess the question is if the gentex mirror will fit into the existing honda mount

I wouldn't want it myself either if it didn't tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'm gonna try to fit an e46 dimming mirror into an E11 corolla soon.

Will let you know if you want me to. :)

fpa5qq.jpg

Just an update on this. I bought th genk2 gentex mirror from a seller on eBay. Existing mirror came off easily to reveal the standard silver metal mount on the windscreen. Gentex mirror slide straight on. Also bought a wire cover to cover the cable running from mirror to roof lining.

So I think it should be easy for a car electrics guy to wire it in?
    Cheers
    Mick

• Advertisement

2usd94w.jpg

What sort if money was the mirror?

Have you ran the cable down the pillars or just tucked it into the roof lining?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What sort if money was the mirror?

Have you ran the cable down the pillars or just tucked it into the roof lining?

Hi Colm,

I haven't done the wiring yet - hoping it can be tucked in the roof liner, then remove the A pillar cover and run it down there and cable tie in. I've seen a few youtube video's showing it done.. and then on to the the fuse box. I'm actually not doing it myself though. I'm getting a car electrics guy to fit it for me.

I bought from amazon as had some vouchers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L493C9M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

69 pounds. The version pictured shows compass and temp sensor readout but the version i bought doesn't have that.. didn't need it as temp sensor on the car.. and didn't see the value of a compass read out... and at any rate have one on the Car App i use on my phone

Also bought this from ebay to cover the wires

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220935151036?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There's a shorter version which is a quid cheaper which would actually have done me... but easier to shorten the longer version i guess :)

Looking forward to banishing the badly focused headlights from my rear view

Cheers,
    Mick

Unregistered Users

As promised.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93362182#post93362182

Total spent: 10 sterling + Parcel Motel fee. :)

good job,

mine should be wired in hopefully in the next week...

good job,

mine should be wired in hopefully in the next week...

Finally got mine wired today. Amazing how something so simple could make such a difference to driving..no more blinding lights in my rear view mirror. ..best of all is honda Ireland said it couldn't be done!

Unregistered Users

Ahh, yeah - they couldn't!

Advertisement