Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Paul Bunbury - Respectful posts only please

• 04-02-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Carri

UPDATE 13/3/12: Paul's body was pulled from the Liffey today at Dublin Port. RIP Paul, you will will be in our thoughts.

Mod warning here, please read BEFORE posting.

Hey everyone,

A DCU student is currently missing - Paul Bunbury (He usually wears a beard and long hair but here is a pic of him shaven just in case he has changed his appearance).

428037_330162707028698_143712565673714_984088_1986193643_n.jpg

He hasn't been seen since Thursday at roughly 4pm in DCU.
    He went to Spar on the Ballymun Rd, purchased something small.. - about 4:15pm.

UPDATE 13/2/12: It has been confirmed that Paul was spotted in the O2 (Point Depot) Village at around 6.20pm on the same day (Thurs 2nd Feb).

It's not like him to disappear so quickly, have his phone off and not be at a computer for more than 24 hours.

If anyone has any information on his whereabouts contact Whitehall Garda Station or one of his friends and let us know he's ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

A few people are going towards DCU to look for Paul, there's still been no sign of him. The more eyes the better, it's not the smallest campus in the world.

If you're willing to help look around campus/the park/surrounding areas, everyone's meeting at 2pm in front of the Helix.

http://tinyurl.com/DCUcampus

The helix is the building marked in red on the right hand side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Has anyone been able to get into his room?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Carri

Konata wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to get into his room?

Was checked already.

CCTV is currently being looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm not near DCU at the minute to help out but I can only wish you the best of luck in the search and hopefully he'll return safely.

We had a good look around, but nothing to be seen.

Doors were knocked on, and the establishments on ballymun road visited.

Thanks to anyone that helped and agreed to keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

Nanaki wrote: »
    We had a good look around, but nothing to be seen.

Doors were knocked on, and the establishments on ballymun road visited.

Thanks to anyone that helped and agreed to keep an eye out.

Was all of Hampsted Park searched??

grodge wrote: »
    Was all of Hampsted Park searched??

As best as ~15 people can search it, yes.

There's due to be more things done tomorrow.. Keep and eye out here and we'll let you know asap if people want to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thread stickied.

I'm sick at the moment but might be able to get out tomorrow. Please do post with any information regarding searches etc. Hoping for the best :(

Just a quick update..

Dublin bus CCTV has been wiped.. So that's now a dead end..
    (Seems kinda pointless them even having CCTV if it can't be used when needed)

If anyone knows anyone who was in DCU that day and headed for a bus, could they please pass on Pauls description and pass on any information?

After going to Spar - his next move is unknown.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Best wishes that Paul is found safe and well, he used work in my local shop iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Carri wrote: »
    Just a quick update..

Dublin bus CCTV has been wiped.. So that's now a dead end..
    (Seems kinda pointless them even having CCTV if it can't be used when needed)

If anyone knows anyone who was in DCU that day and headed for a bus, could they please pass on Pauls description and pass on any information?

After going to Spar - his next move is unknown.

Cheers.

Are you positive on this? Its my understanding that they dont wipe it so quickly.

Are you positive on this? Its my understanding that they dont wipe it so quickly.

Positive.

It's automatic apparently and each depot keeps them seperate according to bus.

Positive.

It's automatic apparently and each depot keeps them seperate according to bus.

Can I ask was the footage requested by the garda or just a member of the public?

I have relations in Dublin bus and there have been a number of cases where longer then this time period have passed by and the tape has been available.

Its a lot of tape that is being requested, Dublin bus people are notoriously lazy. The tape is stored on harddrives on each bus so a lot of legwork would be involved in gathering them up(each depo has 1 guy who does this AFAIK), if it was a member of the public asking, well, "its automatically wiped" its handy excuse. Especially if they dont ask for a specific bus.

You are talking about quite a few busses he could have got. Its feasible that one or two perhaps would have wiped when the harddrives reached capacity, but all of them?

Sounds suspect to me.

I know Paul in passing, he's a nice guy and every lead needs to be chased down.

If the Garda asked and no joy then thats all you can do.

Can I ask was the footage requested by the garda or just a member of the public?

I have relations in Dublin bus and there have been a number of cases where longer then this time period have passed by and the tape has been available.

Its a lot of tape that is being requested, Dublin bus people are notoriously lazy. The tape is stored on harddrives on each bus so a lot of legwork would be involved in gathering them up(each depo has 1 guy who does this AFAIK), if it was a member of the public asking, well, "its automatically wiped" its handy excuse.

You are talking about quite a few busses he could have got. Its feasible that one or two perhaps would have wiped when the harddrives reached capacity, but all of them?

Sounds suspect to me.

As far as I know - Both the Gardaí and the family have asked.

As far as I know - Both the Gardaí and the family have asked.

Fair enough, I hope he turns up soon, it's getting quite worrying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Creadak

Its a lot of tape that is being requested, Dublin bus people are notoriously lazy. The tape is stored on harddrives on each bus so a lot of legwork would be involved in gathering them up(each depo has 1 guy who does this AFAIK), if it was a member of the public asking, well, "its automatically wiped" its handy excuse. Especially if they dont ask for a specific bus.

The tapes were requested by family and gardaí.

The tapes asked for were for the five or six bus routes that stop outside the ballymun entrance on DCU as he had been spotted on CCTV in the Spar beside Matt Weldons.

And in anycase, it should have been as simple as emailing these depots and asking for an emergency backup of the footage from Thursday and Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 9 zzziltoid

I don't mean to be smart or anything, but the programming society 'Red Brick' have been away in Belgium since Thursday. Is there any possibility that he might be a member of that group? (Maybe he just didn't make it very known he was leaving if this was the case).
    All in all though, hope he turns up safe and well!

zzziltoid wrote: »
    I don't mean to be smart or anything, but the programming society 'Red Brick' have been away in Belgium since Thursday. Is there any possibility that he might be a member of that group? (Maybe he just didn't make it very known he was leaving if this was the case).

Unfortunately not, his passport is still in his appartment so he's still in the country.

Ignore that I was wrong.

In any case, he still couldn't have left the country as his passport was actually out of date, so he may have actually taken it with him to use as ID to go drinking somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

zzziltoid wrote: »

The networking society's website have him up as missing so I doubt it.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Is their anything set up on facebook about Paul, would it be ok to paste it here so we can share it. I don't live in Dublin but have a few friends from their that i could share it with. Their not on boards.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

People have been sharing this photo on facebook to raise awareness

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Is it known what he bought in Spar?
    Have the Redbrick guys had a scan of his last emails etc?

spockety wrote: »
    Is it known what he bought in Spar?
    Have the Redbrick guys had a scan of his last emails etc?

As far as I know his account has been checked for indications of frame of mind, destination etc and there was nothing really out of the ordinary for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Sounds suspect to me.

If the Garda asked and no joy then thats all you can do.

You may actually be right about this. Several depots were tried, but none would really give straight answers--the only one that did give a straight answer, said they had already been wiped. The Gardaí are following up with other depots that would service relevant routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tnkrbell

Another suggestion maybe to contact and of the popular taxi companies and put out a message with them incase he got in a taxi. Really hope he's found safe and well and just taking some time to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just saw the announcement there. Hope the chap is found safe and well. I'm based in Waterford so there's not a lot I can practically do but if there's anything setup on Facebook, I'd be more than happy to share it in the hope that someone I know might see him or whatever.

tnkrbell wrote: »
    Another suggestion maybe to contact and of the popular taxi companies and put out a message with them incase he got in a taxi. Really hope he's found safe and well and just taking some time to himself.

That's actually a really good idea tnkrbell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Maybe have the gaurds contact his bank and any service providers, such as boards, facebook, mobile phone company, email, internet banking etc. to see if there has been any activity on accounts or logins of any kind (if that's possible?).

Best of luck, hope he turns up safe.

• Advertisement

Thanks man, he's not been online at all though since Thursday, the admins of RedBrick confirmed this for us, which is insanely out of character, and he doesn't use facebook that often. Not sure about his bank records etc obviously, but his phone has definitely been off since Thursday.

Thanks for taking the time to post, if you can spread the word please do, the more people see it the more likely it is he'll see how loved he is and he'll just come home :)

Advertisement