Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Retro Gameshow

• 06-10-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

What's your favourite retro gameshow ( more than ten years since it was on tv originally ).
    My favourite gameshow was the US gameshow " Card Sharks ". It used to be on Sky 1 in the late eighties/early nineties. Classic gameshow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

For me, it's the original Krypton Factor with Gordon Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I used to like "Card Sharks" as well! But my favourite was "Murphy's Micro Quiz-m" (Don't ask me what a Quiz-m is though)... Used to be allowed stay up late on Sunday nights to watch it...

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

it has to be quicksliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I used to love Supermarket Sweep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭T.C.O.B

It's got to be Catchphase.

I remember back in college we'd have to home for the noon episode on Challenge Tv. We used to play along (quite competively) with cash on the line, might sound a little sad but it was brilliant craic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKvtkNhWhws

• Advertisement

T.C.O.B wrote: »
    It's got to be Catchphase.

I remember back in college we'd have to home for the noon episode on Challenge Tv. We used to play along (quite competively) with cash on the line, might sound a little sad but it was brilliant craic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKvtkNhWhws

You've seen the Snake Charmer incident, haven't you? :D;););)

Another one I really liked was Big Break.

This was, of course, before I realised that Jim Davidson was a complete d1ck... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

watching the interceptor, used to love this and its still just as good 20 years later..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭T.C.O.B

"Know your Sport", what I wouldn't give for one of those umbrellas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

watching the interceptor, used to love this and its still just as good 20 years later..

I think Interceptor is due a revival. With the advances in technology (GPS, cameras etc) i think it would be a big hit now. The original show was great. The Interceptor was a brilliant Villain, and Mikey was a great sidekick :)

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Interceptor

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

'Going for Gold' with Henry Kelly was my favourite. :D
    I still know the words to the theme music. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Posy wrote: »
    'Going for Gold' with Henry Kelly was my favourite. :D
    I still know the words to the theme music. :o

The Going for Gold theme was writen by Hans Zimmer, who later won multiple awards for writing film scores for The Lion King, Gladiator, The Dark Knight and many more :)

Here is the rarely heard extended version ...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Blankety Blank

I wonder how many 'cheque book & pens' are gathering dust the length and breadth of GB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Does Bullseye count as a gameshow?....Many's the Sunday afternoon I watched it!

I was a big fan of "Bully" and the Tankard was considered the Holy Grail!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullseye_(UK_game_show)

"The prize board has become the butt of jokes since the programme's original demise because of the perceived poor quality of prizes on offer, but it should be pointed out that for most of the programme's original run prize values were restricted by the Independent Broadcasting Authority. Although some prizes (such as a remote-controlled toy car or legendary "TV with wired remote control") were laughed at by the studio audience even then, smaller prizes were taken for granted at the time, and they seemed relatively lavish compared to those on offer in BBC game shows such as Blankety Blank. In a 2006 episode, Bully's Special Prize was a fully functional Bullseye Fruit Machine, quite possibly the most valuable prize in the show's history not to be the mystery Star Prize – however the contestants promptly lost it after doing badly in the final round".

Jim Bowen take a bow!...

Does Bullseye count as a gameshow?

Of course it does! :D:);)

Another great thing about the Prize Board and the Star Prize Gamble was the huge amount of possible results.

It wasn't just that the couple playing the Prize Board would win a few prizes on it and either win the Star Prize as well by hitting 101 or more, or lose the lot by hitting less than 101 - quite often that couple would decide to keep their prizes ("We've had a lovely day, Jim") and let one of the other two couples have a go at the Gamble, and sometimes none of the three would take the Gamble at all:

And speedboats weren't the only Star Prizes on offer - holidays, caravans, furniture and, of course, small British cars (because big and/or foreign ones would have broken the limit on the value of prizes that could be given away) could also be won. In fact, in some series, there were actually two prizes hiding behind Bully - a speedboat if the couple won, and a car/holiday/whatever-besides-a-speedboat if they lost.

As for the Gamble itself, sometimes the non-dart player would only hit about 20 or 30 and the dart player would then save the day, and sometimes the non-dart player would hit about 60 or 70 and the dart player would then choke. It could happen too that both players would do so badly they they would fail even before the sixth and final dart was thrown (i.e. they would have 40 or less before this dart).

And it could happen that the dart player wasn't even needed:

Add in the little things like "Nothing in this game for two in a bed" and "Bus Fare Home", and it all meant that the possible results on the Prize Board and the Gamble were virtually endless. :D:D;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Strike it lucky - top, middle, or bottom...ahhh good ould michael barrymore.

And if course the crystal maze

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

GHG - That post deserves to be repeated - You gave it justice where I dismally failed!........

Fantastic Post!.......:):):)

GSWxxx

ps. I have a lifetime love of darts from that program!...:)

Of course it does! :D:);)

Another great thing about the Prize Board and the Star Prize Gamble was the huge amount of possible results.

It wasn't just that the couple playing the Prize Board would win a few prizes on it and either win the Star Prize as well by hitting 101 or more, or lose the lot by hitting less than 101 - quite often that couple would decide to keep their prizes ("We've had a lovely day, Jim") and let one of the other two couples have a go at the Gamble, and sometimes none of the three would take the Gamble at all:

And speedboats weren't the only Star Prizes on offer - holidays, caravans, furniture and, of course, small British cars (because big and/or foreign ones would have broken the limit on the value of prizes that could be given away) could also be won. In fact, in some series, there were actually two prizes hiding behind Bully - a speedboat if the couple won, and a car/holiday/whatever-besides-a-speedboat if they lost.

As for the Gamble itself, sometimes the non-dart player would only hit about 20 or 30 and the dart player would then save the day, and sometimes the non-dart player would hit about 60 or 70 and the dart player would then choke. It could happen too that both players would do so badly they they would fail even before the sixth and final dart was thrown (i.e. they would have 40 or less before this dart).

And it could happen that the dart player wasn't even needed:

Add in the little things like "Nothing in this game for two in a bed" and "Bus Fare Home", and it all meant that the possible results on the Prize Board and the Gamble were virtually endless. :D:D;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Go-ing for GOLD! with your host, Henry Kelly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Bullseye probably deserves its own thread, but this must have been the worst star prize ever - these lads would have loved a speedboat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I would say CARD SHARKS or THE LIARS CLUB

Actually all game shows in the 70s and 80s I pretty much loved and still do if i see any of them on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

Crystal maze haha loved that show!!

• Advertisement

This thread is now nearly four years old, and no-one has mentioned Bob's Full House yet... :eek: :o:D:);)

...or, for that matter, Every Second Counts. :D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My favourite retro game show for me will be from Sir Bruce Forsyth's Play your Cards right and Brucie's Price is Right.

I have seen these on Challenge TV recently and the show never gets old at all. It still provides great entertainment for all the family.

Advertisement