Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just don't think i'd ever find out, as i always spend so much time on side missions and making sure i've done all conversations with my crew. I've never had anyone die, or get so pissed at me that they wanted to leave. Though i always seem to miss out on the final Illusive Man paragon option.

I also vaguely remember Jahiera leaving for good when i tried to briefly remove her from my party in Baldurs Gate 2. Good riddance i say...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm waiting to complete the game, but I have to do this silly MP so I can get the galactic readiness, and these days there aren't as many people playing it, and especially being over in Asia the connection isn't great to whatever servers it's connecting to.
    I want Diana Allers dead, I missed the chance to kick her off the ship.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I want Diana Allers dead, I missed the chance to kick her off the ship.

That i absolutely agree with. What an utterly useless character. She should be an enemy on the MP...people would flock back.

On the MP side, i've never been as wrong as when i slated Bioware for including MP in a totally single player series. I couldn't believe they were adding it, and than i played it and absolutely loved it. Really well implemented, with excellent gamesplay and great classes. They also supported it really well for ages after release, adding new classes and a huge amount of new poweres. I've had some amazing games in it over the years.

I know what i'll be playing this weekend :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Kiith wrote: »
    That i absolutely agree with. What an utterly useless character. She should be an enemy on the MP...people would flock back.

On the MP side, i've never been as wrong as when i slated Bioware for including MP in a totally single player series. I couldn't believe they were adding it, and than i played it and absolutely loved it. Really well implemented, with excellent gamesplay and great classes. They also supported it really well for ages after release, adding new classes and a huge amount of new poweres. I've had some amazing games in it over the years.

I know what i'll be playing this weekend :)

The multiplayer was surprisingly enjoyable. I think EA wanted an ME themed COD at one stage and this was a way to test the waters.

Allers was a ploy to seal a good review from IGN IIRC, it ended up with 9.5 out of 10.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

chobot.. the only flaw in ME's voice acting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

chobot.. the only flaw in ME's voice acting

Not so much a flaw as a great gaping wound. It's like she didn't even try to convey any sort of emotion.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

So apart from Citadel what other ME3 DLC is worth getting (it's reduced on xbl at the moment)? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

sweetie wrote: »
    So apart from Citadel what other ME3 DLC is worth getting (it's reduced on xbl at the moment)? thanks

You should try Arrival, it was hilarious. I think one of the developers let his teenaged son do the whole thing as a school project or something.

sweetie wrote: »

I got the lot and I'm glad I did but it's nowhere near as good value as the Mass Effect 2 DLC. You could probably skip tat like outfits and weapons safely enough. I'd get From Ashes and anything that's free. You could look up the endings of Leviathan and Omega on Youtube. They're not great but might be worth it if they're discounted.

Bottom line: From Ashes has Javik who's easily one of the better ME3 squadmates so it's the only one I'd class as a "must buy". He doesn't add much to the story aside from a mission on Thessia but I quite liked him.

H. H. Asquith

I enjoyed them all. From Ashes and Leviathan are the most important from a story point of view, and Citadel is the best of the lot.

I also enjoyed Omega. It was combat heavy, but it was good combat so i didn't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kiith wrote: »
    I enjoyed them all. From Ashes and Leviathan are the most important from a story point of view, and Citadel is the best of the lot.

I also enjoyed Omega. It was combat heavy, but it was good combat so i didn't mind.

Loved the enemies it introduces.

I thought they were the most fun to fight in the game.

Zillah wrote: »
    You should try Arrival, it was hilarious. I think one of the developers let his teenaged son do the whole thing as a school project or something.

that's not ME3 DLC though

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rumours again that the Mass Effect Trilogy is going to be released on PS4 and Xbox One in March next year.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE TRUE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

So just finished this after doing 1 and 2 a few years ago. I'd held off cause I heard the ending was really terrible but avoided spoilers since I knew I'd get to it at some point. Was in CEX the other day and saw it for €6. Time was right.

What an epic game. I mean the battles really ramp up the whole way through. Yeah it has its flaws. Too many citadel missions, the mission logs not updating, the weapon upgrading seemed clunky and other things but as far as a story based game I have to say I really enjoyed it. And I got the origional ending which I thought was fine. My only issue was seeing Garrus walk off the Normandy the lousy no good snake was supposed to be right behind me going to the beam lol.

I went for the destroy ending as it seemed the most fitting since Sheps whole purpose from the start is to destroy the Reapers. How the destiny ascention et al managed to survive though....... poor EDI. I didnt manage to get the best ending as I was like 1200 EMR from it. I wouldnt mind but I grinded nearly everthing. Just missing a few citidel missions i dunno where the extra points would come from.

Joshua J wrote: »
    So just finished this after doing 1 and 2 a few years ago. I'd held off cause I heard the ending was really terrible but avoided spoilers since I knew I'd get to it at some point. Was in CEX the other day and saw it for €6. Time was right.

What an epic game. I mean the battles really ramp up the whole way through. Yeah it has its flaws. Too many citadel missions, the mission logs not updating, the weapon upgrading seemed clunky and other things but as far as a story based game I have to say I really enjoyed it. And I got the origional ending which I thought was fine. My only issue was seeing Garrus walk off the Normandy the lousy no good snake was supposed to be right behind me going to the beam lol.

I went for the destroy ending as it seemed the most fitting since Sheps whole purpose from the start is to destroy the Reapers. How the destiny ascention et al managed to survive though....... poor EDI. I didnt manage to get the best ending as I was like 1200 EMR from it. I wouldnt mind but I grinded nearly everthing. Just missing a few citidel missions i dunno where the extra points would come from.
    did you do any multiplayer (if it is still possible to get a game). I think you needed a certain percentage completion in MP to boost the points for the best ending. Would only take a handfull of MP, from memory.

That was patched fairly quickly out of the game - no longer need it - but i would suggest playing it, it's really one of the best co-op experiences you'll ever play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Don't think I patched it tbf. I checked online and seems like I got the 2nd best ending so it'll have to do. Great game though.

ah man, you need to try out a batarian soldier - petrol bombs everywhere! :D awesome :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The ME3 multiplayer was one of the best surprises of the year for me when it came out. I had a huge amount of fun with it and was lucky enough to play it at an EA press event a few months before it came out, so I knew it was gonna be a lot of fun. One of the few times where a supposedly "tacked on" multiplayer mode was a breath of fresh air for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Alright lads, doing a bit of backlog clearing and have this in my sights, picked it up January 2014 for 7 Euro in an xtravision sale, played 3 hours and got distracted by something else, but now I'm ready to give it the time it needs.

I know there's a lot of negativity around the ending , so just a few quick questions before I start out. Keep in mind I have managed to avoid spoilers since the game launched.

1. I kept everyone alive through 2 - is this reflected in 3 in any meaningful way?
    2. Do I get to resolve the whole genophage storyline?
    3.is it possible to get the best ending without playing any multiplayer or app games (when the game started last night, there was an update, and war readiness went to 50%)
    4. And this is the most important :-) is it possible to successfully romance Tali? I was with liara in 1, Miranda in 2, and dirty dof Shepard wants to go 3 for 3 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

1. I kept everyone alive through 2 - is this reflected in 3 in any meaningful way?
    2. Do I get to resolve the whole genophage storyline?
    3.is it possible to get the best ending without playing any multiplayer or app games (when the game started last night, there was an update, and war readiness went to 50%)
    4. And this is the most important :-) is it possible to successfully romance Tali? I was with liara in 1, Miranda in 2, and dirty dof Shepard wants to go 3 for 3 !
    1. yes and no. there's always a minor character floating around who'll pick up the reigns regarding important moments. for instance, Morden has a big story part, but if he was killed in part 2, that just goes to another Salarian scientist.

2. yes

3. I don't give much attention to multiplayer so can't really answer that...sorry.

4. yes. pretty much every character is romancable. i romanced loads but got to a point about three quarters of the way through where i was locked into one and romance options never appeared in the dialogue for te other characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

And this is the most important :-) is it possible to successfully romance Tali? I was with liara in 1, Miranda in 2, and dirty dof Shepard wants to go 3 for 3 !

Liara and Miranda can be romanced by both male and female shep but Tali can only be romanced by a male shep so keep that in mind.

Also, the game is years old. No need to spoiler stuff guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kirby wrote: »
    Also, the game is years old. No need to spoiler stuff guys.

It's like using spoiler tags for Star Wars at this stage. The ending was dragged all over the internet for the best part of a year too. I'd say people who don't even play games know how this ended by accident.

If you haven't gotten around to playing the series yet then the story line spoilers are probably not going to be a big deal to the person.

It's like using spoiler tags for Star Wars at this stage. The ending was dragged all over the internet for the best part of a year too. I'd say people who don't even play games know how this ended by accident.

If you haven't gotten around to playing the series yet then the story line spoilers are probably not going to be a big deal to the person.

Happily I can say I've manage to avoid any and all discussion of the ending - apart from picking up the general vibe that the majority thought it was terrible, so bad in fact that Bioware went back and extended it to try and quell some of the ill will.

Anyway, I'm 8 hours in and getting back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Happily I can say I've manage to avoid any and all discussion of the ending - apart from picking up the general vibe that the majority thought it was terrible, so bad in fact that Bioware went back and extended it to try and quell some of the ill will.

Anyway, I'm 8 hours in and getting back into it.

It is good all the way through regardless of how it all plays out. It's just the last 15 mins. Still to this day it annoys me what it all came down to. It's like a long essay you write for homework, it's late, you run out of time but have to finish it so you just end it with " and then I woke up" type of thing.

I still would have liked if they ran with the dark energy and reaper connection theory than what they went with. It would have raised the stakes of really saving the universe never mind the galaxy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The ending is what it is but some of the best moments of the entire series are in the third game regardless imo.

It is good all the way through regardless of how it all plays out. It's just the last 15 mins. Still to this day it annoys me what it all came down to. It's like a long essay you write for homework, it's late, you run out of time but have to finish it so you just end it with " and then I woke up" type of thing.

I still would have liked if they ran with the dark energy and reaper connection theory than what they went with. It would have raised the stakes of really saving the universe never mind the galaxy.

I'd have been fine with the ending we got, had it all been down to the indoctrination theory that went around and explained almost everything brilliant. Had that been the reason behind the ending, it would have been a GREAT ending, imo.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The ending is what it is but some of the best moments of the entire series are in the third game regardless imo.

Cool,

I'm going to unfollow for a bit as It'd be a shame to spoil it for myself now after waiting so long. see ye in 40 or so hours I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's what happens when you change writers and go from a collaborative effort from a team of people around a table......to a some hack writing the ending in his bedroom in two days. That's not an example, That actually happened for ME3.

• Advertisement

Just popping in for a Quick Update -
    Really enjoying this so far, I've just visited Tchanka and cured the genophage. Sad to see mordin go :( that fight between the Reaper and the thresher maw was awesome. Back to the citadel now, and I've put down councillor Udina after fighting off the cereberus forces.

the only gripe Id have, is that it seems that weapons selection , upgrades, etc is largely inconsequential, particularly for your teammates. I reckon you could leave them with their starting weapons and they'd probably perform the same way. The gameplay is almost gears of war -lite.

Advertisement