Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links - Page 567 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 14:34   #8491
Retr0gamer
Moderator
 
Retr0gamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brig City
Posts: 35,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
Why won't Nintendo hurry up and release region unlocked firmware?
It's the worst decision of theirs ever to region lock, while everyone else is abandoning the concept.
It could be built into the anti piracy protection or else be a hardware thing so is probably a lot more complex than a firmware update. Then there's security isues they will have to test for. We probably won't see it until the next full consoles.
Retr0gamer is offline  
Advertisement
11-12-2014, 14:40   #8492
Myrddin
Category Moderator
 
Myrddin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Avalon
Posts: 27,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
It could be built into the anti piracy protection or else be a hardware thing so is probably a lot more complex than a firmware update. Then there's security isues they will have to test for. We probably won't see it until the next full consoles.
I doubt it's a hardware thing, it wouldn't make sense from a production point of view. It's without doubt a firmware thing, something they could very easily change via an update I imagine.
Myrddin is offline  
11-12-2014, 15:03   #8493
Retr0gamer
Moderator
 
Retr0gamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brig City
Posts: 35,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrddin View Post
I doubt it's a hardware thing, it wouldn't make sense from a production point of view. It's without doubt a firmware thing, something they could very easily change via an update I imagine.
I'd put money on it being a hardware thing. Historically nintendo have used hardware to lock out piracy and any time software has been used it's been a disaster, see the 360. Pretty sure the anti piracy stuff is on a chip and bypasing it is really not an easy thing. It makes the most sense from a security point of view to have security embedded on a chip. Look how well it worked for Sony whose anti piracy was only broken through the incompetence when it came to the security codes they used meaning once the hackers got that one key the entire system was open.
Retr0gamer is offline  
11-12-2014, 15:15   #8494
Myrddin
Category Moderator
 
Myrddin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Avalon
Posts: 27,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
I'd put money on it being a hardware thing. Historically nintendo have used hardware to lock out piracy and any time software has been used it's been a disaster, see the 360. Pretty sure the anti piracy stuff is on a chip and bypasing it is really not an easy thing. It makes the most sense from a security point of view to have security embedded on a chip. Look how well it worked for Sony whose anti piracy was only broken through the incompetence when it came to the security codes they used meaning once the hackers got that one key the entire system was open.
Historically, yes. I think in more recent times though, it's been software that controls the region of a console. Look at the Wii, the PS3, the 360, the PS2, the Xbox...all of these can be made region free via software, no hardware modification is necessary. All of these, like the 3DS, have operating systems that control & limit what the hardware does. You'd have to go back quite a way to find consoles where the hardware determined what the software could do. Regardless, with the resources of Nintendo, I don't think making the 3DS is such a big deal. I suppose it could be a hardware thing, but I very much doubt it. The next generation of flash carts will undoubtedly prove that a PAL console can quite easily play an NTSC game & vice versa.
Myrddin is offline  
11-12-2014, 15:30   #8495
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bray
Posts: 27,342
Isn't there a firmware hack on the 3DS to disable region lockout?

Wouldn't this signify that the lockout is software based? (I'd also be very surprised if Nintendo were putting different lockout chips into different consoles in this day and age, seems archaic and an unnecessary extra step in production.)
o1s1n is offline  
Advertisement
11-12-2014, 15:32   #8496
CiDeRmAn
Moderator
 
CiDeRmAn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Right next to my Towel, you Hoopy Frood!
Posts: 19,010
It's a good thing that we here at A&R Towers have our Top Men working on breaking the region locking on the 3DS, and I'm sure you all know the crack team I refer to....

That's right
Sparks, with Mrs Sparks providing tea, buns and other reliefs during this most crucial of efforts.

Sparks, we are counting on you!
CiDeRmAn is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-12-2014, 22:28   #8497
STG.Otaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
Mrs Sparks providing other reliefs
STG.Otaku is offline  
(4) thanks from:
18-12-2014, 23:08   #8498
Jack burton
Registered User
 
Jack burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,496
Just spotted this, think it needs to get a preorder

http://store.iam8bit.com/collections.../products/hlm2
Jack burton is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet