Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links - Page 567 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-12-2014, 14:34   #8491
Retr0gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
Why won't Nintendo hurry up and release region unlocked firmware?
It's the worst decision of theirs ever to region lock, while everyone else is abandoning the concept.
It could be built into the anti piracy protection or else be a hardware thing so is probably a lot more complex than a firmware update. Then there's security isues they will have to test for. We probably won't see it until the next full consoles.
Advertisement
11-12-2014, 14:40   #8492
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
It could be built into the anti piracy protection or else be a hardware thing so is probably a lot more complex than a firmware update. Then there's security isues they will have to test for. We probably won't see it until the next full consoles.
I doubt it's a hardware thing, it wouldn't make sense from a production point of view. It's without doubt a firmware thing, something they could very easily change via an update I imagine.
11-12-2014, 15:03   #8493
Retr0gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrddin View Post
I doubt it's a hardware thing, it wouldn't make sense from a production point of view. It's without doubt a firmware thing, something they could very easily change via an update I imagine.
I'd put money on it being a hardware thing. Historically nintendo have used hardware to lock out piracy and any time software has been used it's been a disaster, see the 360. Pretty sure the anti piracy stuff is on a chip and bypasing it is really not an easy thing. It makes the most sense from a security point of view to have security embedded on a chip. Look how well it worked for Sony whose anti piracy was only broken through the incompetence when it came to the security codes they used meaning once the hackers got that one key the entire system was open.
11-12-2014, 15:15   #8494
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
I'd put money on it being a hardware thing. Historically nintendo have used hardware to lock out piracy and any time software has been used it's been a disaster, see the 360. Pretty sure the anti piracy stuff is on a chip and bypasing it is really not an easy thing. It makes the most sense from a security point of view to have security embedded on a chip. Look how well it worked for Sony whose anti piracy was only broken through the incompetence when it came to the security codes they used meaning once the hackers got that one key the entire system was open.
Historically, yes. I think in more recent times though, it's been software that controls the region of a console. Look at the Wii, the PS3, the 360, the PS2, the Xbox...all of these can be made region free via software, no hardware modification is necessary. All of these, like the 3DS, have operating systems that control & limit what the hardware does. You'd have to go back quite a way to find consoles where the hardware determined what the software could do. Regardless, with the resources of Nintendo, I don't think making the 3DS is such a big deal. I suppose it could be a hardware thing, but I very much doubt it. The next generation of flash carts will undoubtedly prove that a PAL console can quite easily play an NTSC game & vice versa.
11-12-2014, 15:30   #8495
o1s1n

Isn't there a firmware hack on the 3DS to disable region lockout?

Wouldn't this signify that the lockout is software based? (I'd also be very surprised if Nintendo were putting different lockout chips into different consoles in this day and age, seems archaic and an unnecessary extra step in production.)
Advertisement
11-12-2014, 15:32   #8496
CiDeRmAn

It's a good thing that we here at A&R Towers have our Top Men working on breaking the region locking on the 3DS, and I'm sure you all know the crack team I refer to....

That's right
Sparks, with Mrs Sparks providing tea, buns and other reliefs during this most crucial of efforts.

Sparks, we are counting on you!
(2) thanks from:
14-12-2014, 22:28   #8497
STG.Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
Mrs Sparks providing other reliefs
(4) thanks from:
18-12-2014, 23:08   #8498
Jack burton

Just spotted this, think it needs to get a preorder

http://store.iam8bit.com/collections.../products/hlm2