Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Doge wrote: »
    Found a french playthrough of an older unit

OMG-WHAT.gif

I bet you did you mucky pup! ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I notice the description now says not working though

For the NZS or 1943?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

NZS

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If only it was PAL :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If only it was PAL :(

But you could look super cultured and people will think you speak Japanese.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Why won't Nintendo hurry up and release region unlocked firmware?
    It's the worst decision of theirs ever to region lock, while everyone else is abandoning the concept.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why won't Nintendo hurry up and release region unlocked firmware?
    It's the worst decision of theirs ever to region lock, while everyone else is abandoning the concept.

It could be built into the anti piracy protection or else be a hardware thing so is probably a lot more complex than a firmware update. Then there's security isues they will have to test for. We probably won't see it until the next full consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It could be built into the anti piracy protection or else be a hardware thing so is probably a lot more complex than a firmware update. Then there's security isues they will have to test for. We probably won't see it until the next full consoles.

I doubt it's a hardware thing, it wouldn't make sense from a production point of view. It's without doubt a firmware thing, something they could very easily change via an update I imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myrddin wrote: »
    I doubt it's a hardware thing, it wouldn't make sense from a production point of view. It's without doubt a firmware thing, something they could very easily change via an update I imagine.

I'd put money on it being a hardware thing. Historically nintendo have used hardware to lock out piracy and any time software has been used it's been a disaster, see the 360. Pretty sure the anti piracy stuff is on a chip and bypasing it is really not an easy thing. It makes the most sense from a security point of view to have security embedded on a chip. Look how well it worked for Sony whose anti piracy was only broken through the incompetence when it came to the security codes they used meaning once the hackers got that one key the entire system was open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd put money on it being a hardware thing. Historically nintendo have used hardware to lock out piracy and any time software has been used it's been a disaster, see the 360. Pretty sure the anti piracy stuff is on a chip and bypasing it is really not an easy thing. It makes the most sense from a security point of view to have security embedded on a chip. Look how well it worked for Sony whose anti piracy was only broken through the incompetence when it came to the security codes they used meaning once the hackers got that one key the entire system was open.

Historically, yes. I think in more recent times though, it's been software that controls the region of a console. Look at the Wii, the PS3, the 360, the PS2, the Xbox...all of these can be made region free via software, no hardware modification is necessary. All of these, like the 3DS, have operating systems that control & limit what the hardware does. You'd have to go back quite a way to find consoles where the hardware determined what the software could do. Regardless, with the resources of Nintendo, I don't think making the 3DS is such a big deal. I suppose it could be a hardware thing, but I very much doubt it. The next generation of flash carts will undoubtedly prove that a PAL console can quite easily play an NTSC game & vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,416 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Isn't there a firmware hack on the 3DS to disable region lockout?

Wouldn't this signify that the lockout is software based? (I'd also be very surprised if Nintendo were putting different lockout chips into different consoles in this day and age, seems archaic and an unnecessary extra step in production.)

It's a good thing that we here at A&R Towers have our Top Men working on breaking the region locking on the 3DS, and I'm sure you all know the crack team I refer to....

That's right
    Sparks, with Mrs Sparks providing tea, buns and other reliefs during this most crucial of efforts.

Sparks, we are counting on you!

Mrs Sparks providing other reliefs

779905.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just spotted this, think it needs to get a preorder

http://store.iam8bit.com/collections/hotline-miami/products/hlm2

Animal Crossing Club Nintendo OST. £1.99 inc FREE delivery.

Bargain. :)

CD Thingy Yoke

2 x Pikachu's
    1 x Marth
    1 x Wii Fit Yer Wan

In stock at Gamewhatsitsname in Ballbagbriggan. All €16.99 each.

Already got Marth and Yer Wan but thought I'd post in case other folks were looking for them.

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Animal Crossing Club Nintendo OST. £1.99 inc FREE delivery.

Bargain. :)

CD Thingy Yoke

Thanks mate, picked it up for the son who collects the soundtracks. I got all the amiibo's in argos, they seem well stocked and the only one I didnt manage to get was little mac... no preordering either in Ireland either so if ya reserve on release morning ya get em. 27 for 2 aswel so not as much of a shaft as gamestop

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    In stock at Gamewhatsitsname in Ballbagbriggan. All €16.99 each.

Was considering at least one Amiibo.... but at that price maybe I'll hold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I picked up Pikachu in argos, and I think my sister got Samus in Smyths. The guy in argos didn't have a clue what to call the thing, ha. I probably should have put him out of his misery instead of standing there trying no to laugh... Pikachu looks great. He's been sitting on my shelf until Christmas comes and I get Smash.

I thought about picking up Captain Falcon, but the pose looks a bit silly. Can't see myself picking up any more, but who knows what they'll release down the line.

• Advertisement

I nabbed a couple more amiibos in Argos today. Saved nearly €20,000 too so an amazing bargain to be had!

E913C5AD-E076-49B3-A758-3CA06B5BA739_zpsg7hnktis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I nabbed a couple more amiibos in Argos today. Saved nearly €20,000 too so an amazing bargain to be had!

E913C5AD-E076-49B3-A758-3CA06B5BA739_zpsg7hnktis.jpg

Didn't know eBay had an actual shop! :pac:

Did that not get a few odd looks in the shop?

If it was me I'd have that receipt framed, ha.

Was considering at least one Amiibo.... but at that price maybe I'll hold off.

Agreed. I got the three 'rare' first wave ones from Game and directly from Nintendo in the UK a bit cheaper.

If the 3DS adapter isnt out soon I will probably leave it. Can't see me getting a Wii U any time soon. I think 2015 is going to see my 3DS and Vita take a hammering more than anything else.

There are a couple of Amiibo I would still be keen on though, but I couldn't go for a full set. Too pricey and no space!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I didnt even keep track of Amiibos...I had to google what they were when I saw everyone talking about them.

Not for me, I like my toys old and neon!

Did that not get a few odd looks in the shop?

If it was me I'd have that receipt framed, ha.

No their whole systems were down, as in no order numbers so I had to shout when I saw my items coming out :P I'd guess something to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm not really up on the Amiibos - Are they being released in limited numbers and collectors are picking them up in the hope that they rise in value?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Just spotted this, think it needs to get a preorder

http://store.iam8bit.com/collections/hotline-miami/products/hlm2

I am very very interested in this. What's the delivery charge I wonder. Or is it available elsewhere?

Corholio wrote: »
    Didn't know eBay had an actual shop! :pac:

I thought RAGE had gotten into selling Amiibo figures for a moment there!

• Advertisement

No their whole systems were down, as in no order numbers so I had to shout when I saw my items coming out :P I'd guess something to do with that.

Same here when I went in to pick up the Pikachu that I had reserved. I wasn't charged €10k for it though, ha.

Must be something in the water up in Liffey Valley. I went up to pick up flooring for the bathroom. They had staff working on the self scan checkout, so I didn't realise until I got home and looked at the receipt that they scanned in at €1.35 per box. Ended up flooring the bathroom for just over €8, ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement