Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving to Ireland

• 01-09-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Shortly moving to Ireland. Have owned 2010 car in UK since new. Will be taking car with me. What's the procedure for getting it Irish-plated and taxed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

3DataModem wrote: »
    Shortly moving to Ireland. Have owned 2010 car in UK since new. Will be taking car with me. What's the procedure for getting it Irish-plated and taxed?

You are "moving to" Ireland??

Alot are getting the fcuk out,at this stage.:pac::D

PS-Best of luck with the move.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'll still be working abroad. Wife will be here 8-9 months a year with car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

bazz26 wrote: »

This is not really relevant. This is all about buying a car and paying VRT. I am not doing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

3DataModem wrote: »

Buy a cheap run around here your going to have to pay VRT which will be probably €2000 or more

Check out ros.ie go into vrt callculator

• Advertisement

• Once you have lived outside Ireland for at least a year, you won't have to pay VRT. More info here:
    http://www.vrt.ie/vrtDetail.php?page=21
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/forms/vrt-tor.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is a great deal of noise in this thread. If you and your wife are moving to Ireland you won't have to pay VRT. Google "vrt transfer of residence". The only issue might be whether you have really moved, but if your wife is here that should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Just make sure whatever cars are in your name 6 months before you move and you'll avoid VRT. You will need a PPS number and a bank account here before you can register them (I was a non-person for a a couple of months when I got here while I waited for them :rolleyes:)

Otherwise registering them is the standard procedure, just no VRT and you can't sell them for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Id check this out if I were you. If the car is travelling back and forth to UK you may be ok as you are, as I think there are conditions as to how long you are here on a permanent basis. Also worth checking with your insurance company as regards your cover, being in Ireland.
    If it needs to be changed to Irish plates you wont need an NCT (MOT in UK) as the car is less than four years old.
    Best of luck, most of us here would get out given half a chance.

Advertisement