Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Anybody else watch that documentary-thingy on rte about mental institutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You'd wanna be off yer trolley to watch that :rolleyes:

I see what you did there but seriously though. I couldn't help it seeing as I live beside one of the places and my house was built for the nurses that worked there and 2 of my aunts and an uncle worked there ~10 years ago. I'm slightly weirded out by the thought that some of the people who lived in my house 50 years ago could have been the ones doing some really horrible things to any one who was locked up in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I see what you did there but seriously though. I couldn't help it seeing as I live beside one of the places and my house was built for the nurses that worked there and 2 of my aunts and an uncle worked there ~10 years ago. I'm slightly weirded out by the thought that some of the people who lived in my house 50 years ago could have been the ones doing some really horrible things to any one who was locked up in there.

Damn I missed that. I'll watch it on rte player later. Some of the stuff we were told in disability studies in college was shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Knew I forgot to watch something! Those places are sick and twisted, but it's so interesting to learn what things used to be like. We did some work on them in college, and I love all those sorts of documentaries.

• Advertisement

It was actually really interesting and the second part's on next Monday. There was some of it based on a book that a woman (who was put into the institution that I live beside) wrote when she was eventually released after 20 years or so locked up in the place. It could actually be really interesting to read to really see what went on inside, from someonw who experienced it themselfes in the 40s/50s. The name of it was something like 'Birds Nest Soup' which was kinda strange but anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

I was gonna say it was mental altogether.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It was actually really interesting and the second part's on next Monday. There was some of it based on a book that a woman (who was put into the institution that I live beside) wrote when she was eventually released after 20 years or so locked up in the place. It could actually be really interesting to read to really see what went on inside, from someonw who experienced it themselfes in the 40s/50s. The name of it was something like 'Birds Nest Soup' which was kinda strange but anyway....
    Yep, that's the right name, it's by Hanna Greally who was incarcerated in Loman's for 20 years for no good reason. It was originally published a good few years ago, but the sequel "Flown the Nest" which tells of her time in Coolamber Manor and her life afterwards was only published a couple of years back, and I think they re-issued Birds' Nest Soup at the same time as well. Haven't read the second one yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Yep, that's the right name, it's by Hanna Greally who was incarcerated in Loman's for 20 years for no good reason. It was originally published a good few years ago, but the sequel "Flown the Nest" which tells of her time in Coolamber Manor and her life afterwards was only published a couple of years back, and I think they re-issued Birds' Nest Soup at the same time as well. Haven't read the second one yet.

I thought that said incinerated and I was like how'd she write the book so? Wow my concentration has evaporated..

Lads.. Dublin Bus is confusing!! If anyone cares to help, feel free..

Right so I wanna get from Maynooth -> Dublin and it says the 66 and 67 both do this. No problem.

Then I go to see how much it'll cost and all these weird prices are listed.. How do I figure it out?

Adult Fares
    Stages 1 – 3
    €1.20

Stages 4 – 7
    €1.65

Stages 8 – 13
    €1.85

Over 13 Stages
    €2.30

Outer Suburban 1
    €2.30

Outer Suburban 2
    €3.60

I think they're the fares... :confused:

• Advertisement

When you get on just ask the driver, they'll tell you. The most I've ever paid is €2.30, although I think I should be paying the outer suburban range. The xpresso buses are €3.50 I think.

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    When you get on just ask the driver, they'll tell you. The most I've ever paid is €2.30, although I think I should be paying the outer suburban range. The xpresso buses are €3.50 I think.

I'm always afraid to ask the driver because sometimes when you ask them they eat the head off you and then I feel really stupid :( Aaah thanks hopefully someone on the NUIM forum will know the rates >_<

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I'm always afraid to ask the driver because sometimes when you ask them they eat the head off you and then I feel really stupid :( Aaah thanks hopefully someone on the NUIM forum will know the rates >_<

Ah they're usually grand. Just ask how much it is to the city centre. Make sure you have enough change the first time just in case it costs more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I need name ideas for a mini company....

Any suggestions? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

What does the mini company do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

What you doing for it? We need to know that to be able to help! :pac:

Silly Cakes.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Rice & Sons

Dundalk Confectionery Co-operative

You smile We profit

Dundalk Charitable Institute

Were doing like everything though :pac:

Calendars, key rings, ice cream, slush things, chocolate fountain things, teddies, candy canes, loads of other stuff that hasn't been decided :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Calendars, key rings, ice cream, slush things, chocolate fountain things, teddies, candy canes, loads of other stuff that hasn't been decided :confused:

Like a wholesaler??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Ignoring Shadow's, emmm, ''interesting'' suggestions I'll give some amazing thoughts of my own! :P

Stuff
    Sweets and Treats
    Gift a Little
    Little Pieces of Happiness

Yes, I am a creative genius! :pac:

• Advertisement

Like a wholesaler??

No, were doing a trade fair thing but will be doing stuff before that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Duncaca, sorry for the lack of a fada there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lads.. Dublin Bus is confusing!! If anyone cares to help, feel free..

Right so I wanna get from Maynooth -> Dublin and it says the 66 and 67 both do this. No problem.

Then I go to see how much it'll cost and all these weird prices are listed.. How do I figure it out?

Adult Fares
    Stages 1 – 3
    €1.20

Stages 4 – 7
    €1.65

Stages 8 – 13
    €1.85

Over 13 Stages
    €2.30

Outer Suburban 1
    €2.30

Outer Suburban 2
    €3.60

I think they're the fares... :confused:
    In general, "stages" means a certain portion of the journey, usually between stops but it's not always that logical where the route has been changed / bus stops added or removed.

So 1 - 3 stages is quite a short journey --- lowest price, 4 - 8 stages is a bit longer, a bit more expensive, etc.

So that's the basic structure.

Last time I got a bus from Maynooth - city centre it was €2.20, so I'm guessing there's been a price hike since that and €2.30 is right.

Remember there are commuter trains from the station as well, they're probably slightly more expensive, but they definitely take much less time, and depending on where you're going in Dublin they may be more useful as the line takes a very different route to the bus.

In general, "stages" means a certain portion of the journey, usually between stops but it's not always that logical where the route has been changed / bus stops added or removed.

So 1 - 3 stages is quite a short journey --- lowest price, 4 - 8 stages is a bit longer, a bit more expensive, etc.

So that's the basic structure.

Last time I got a bus from Maynooth - city centre it was €2.20, so I'm guessing there's been a price hike since that and €2.30 is right.

Remember there are commuter trains from the station as well, they're probably slightly more expensive, but they definitely take much less time, and depending on where you're going in Dublin they may be more useful as the line takes a very different route to the bus.

Thanks Randy! :D

Yeah I figured it out, the Irish Rail site automatically put me on the direct Maynooth - Dublin train which took an hour, but I looked up the timetables which had a Sligo - Dublin train that stopped in Maynooth and only took half an hour, so that pretty much solved my dilemma! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I hate every gimp who has ever appeared on those shows that do be on RTE2 at this time.

Apologies if you're one of them.

Boy Racer? Pffffttttt, put this on today :P

img1192y.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Transport in Dublin is crazy, I'm not surprised you are confused Noel. I imagine the frustration tourists must feel while working out the stages and everything.

When I was in London I was amazed at how their transport system is a lot more efficient than Dublin's, yet much much easier to understand. Everything is integrated (buses and tubes and trains and trams), you can get a ticket that works on everything, everything is signposted so well, mapped so well, etc. And more importantly there's none of these 'stages', there are clearly defined zones, and fares are calculated based on what zones you travel through. Dublin should have something similar - e.g. city centre zone, inside M50 zone, outside M50 zone).

On a separate note, the actor that played Joey in Friends has grey hair, the actress that played Phoebe is 48 and the actress that played Monica is 47 - I feel so old :eek:

Those sticker things are so tacky..

Those sticker things are so tacky..

Because you know about car modification and what suits a car :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Because you know about car modification and what suits a car :rolleyes:

Hardly call sticking a sticker on a car a "modification" :pac:

I stuck an Apple sticker on my laptop, does it mean I modified it, and it's now a Mac? :pac:

Advertisement