Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Why do the EU care about how much fuel is taxed here?

Bcoz their missing out on 1 more way to fleece the Irish tax payers and citizens

fergal.b wrote: »
    A now you sailors get free wind and cheep fuel while us powerboaters have to pay top whack for our fuel so it only seems fair. :p:p:p

In fairness i dont think anyones begrudging motor boat users cheap fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

The express intention of the EU is to grow its remit into a situation where it's effectively the federal government of Europe with remit in every area. Can't possibly be a good thing for Ireland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Another bit in the Times http://www.irishtimes.com/business/markets/eu-now-making-waves-over-green-diesel-for-boats-1.2016361 If we all carry fishing rods we might be ok :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

neris wrote: »
    Bcoz their missing out on 1 more way to fleece the Irish tax payers and citizens
    That's nothing to do with the EU as they don't get the revenue. The EU likes "Harmonisation" and "Level Playing Fields". It is our government that wants it but is afraid to say so directly as we will soon have an election and they do not want to become more unpopular than they are. It will happen if a stronger left-wing govenment get in next time. Pay full price and fishermen will be allowed a rebate/tax clawback.
    There will not be much sympathy for pleasure boat owners, wealthy capitalist pigs that all of us are! Remember the bounced ball of "mooring fees" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

fergal.b wrote: »
    A now you sailors get free wind and cheep fuel while us powerboaters have to pay top whack for our fuel so it only seems fair. :p:p:p

Ah lads, stop! Just get some sails. Even err guvverment can't tax wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Ah BrensBenz, dont say that too loud, someone might get ideas. I agree with Fergal.b, it does only seem fair.

Sadler32 wrote: »
    Ah BrensBenz, dont say that too loud, someone might get ideas. I agree with Fergal.b, it does only seem fair.

In the words of a former, legitimately-elected TD, "I personally feel myself"....that marine diesel should be included on the list of proscribed substances but would prefer if, first, that jet-skiers and those selling fuel to jet-skiers had to be included in hard copies and an online register of known pests. Exceptions could include fergalb, because of his beautiful hull work, and priests, hurrying to administer last rites to livestock on remote islands. They could have special badges.

Is there an election coming up? Maybe I'll have a go!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Even err guvverment can't tax wind.

They said that about the water... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Well this is interesting... And harks back to a point I made in another thread about the hazards of electronic plotters...

Other teams also struggled with navigation in the Cargados Carajos Shoals area. One is reported to have been just a mile away from suffering the same fate as Team Vestas Wind.

The previous race boat through the area, the Chinese flagged entry Dongfeng Race Team, sailed by a mostly Chinese and French crew, wrote of their passage: 'Charles (Caudrelier – skipper) had noticed this archipelago a few days ago. But it’s worth noting that it’s pretty hard to find. In fact, to see it on our electronic charts, you have to zoom right in on top of it. But how and why would you zoom into it if you don’t know it’s there in the first place?'

http://www.sail-world.com/UK/Volvo-Ocean-Race:-Chris-Nicholson-on-the-Team-Vestas-Wind-disaster---1/129959

In relation to the vestas grounding and previous post, this is a good read and learning lesson for offshore passage making and navigation from sailing anarchy a week or 2 back

been there
    We get letters, and this one gives a particularly poignant reference to the Vestas situation…

I ‘m a huge VOR fan- that’s no exaggeration. I love everything about the race- the boats, the sailors, the venue, the great reporting and media content- I lap it all up like a teenage groupie, checking the website- and SA- several times each day, starting from the moment I wake up. I’ve become quite fond of each boat and team, the various personalities, and I appreciate what this race means to our beloved sport. I might even make my next car a Volvo- seriously!

Like hundreds of thousands (I imagine) of fellow sailors around the world, my heart broke when I learned about the tragic fate of Team Vestas Wind. This is a terrific group of guys, and a wonderful program. I am very happy that all hands are safe. I decided to write because this terrible event brought back profound memories that I had more or less filed away in my memory banks, but these memories were wrenched back into the present, as I learned of this occurrence.

You see, I too once had the unfortunate experience of driving a sailboat onto a reef; to experience the feeling of one moment flying along at double digit speeds, blast reaching on an endless ocean propelled by warm trade winds; to suddenly experience the abject horror of seeing a surf line emerge out of the darkness ahead, followed immediately by a gigantic jolt and sickening crunch, as tens of thousands of pounds of yacht meets immoveable coral; followed by sheer terror as huge breaking waves crashed into the hull, lifting the boat entirely out of the water, to be dropped with a deafening crash again, and again, until pushed up onto the reef; to make the fateful decision to abandon ship, jumping into the dark surf and stumbling along, cut by the coral, then to relative safety while awaiting rescue; and to experience the agony as realization begins to sink in: our voyage is over; a terrible mistake has been made. Reading about Team Vestas Wind brought that awful night back in vivid detail.

SA has- appropriately at this moment only briefly- mentioned the inevitable question that all must have: How could this have possibly happened? It seems inconceivable, with all the resources and technology available to the crew, and the collective sailing experience of all aboard, that something like this could have happened. Moreover, I believe the crash occurred in daylight, making it even more inexplicable. The answer to this question has yet to be provided- but I doubt we’ll ever get a credible explanation.

In truth, I’m not sure I need one, because I already know what happened, and I know the implications.

Thirty four and half years ago, identical questions were being asked about the shipwreck of the maxi Condor of Bermuda. Like Vestas Wind, the crew résumés were impressive- the collective ocean miles of the crew was something like 175,000, and a few had done the most recent Whitbread race. Back then, there was a relatively simple answer as to why we crashed onto Marlon Brando’s island: gross negligence on the part of the skipper, and the navigator.

I’m not all that anxious to learn the details about what happened to Team Vestas Wind, because it is sad to realize that in all likelihood, the skipper and navigator, at least, will never find meaningful work as professional sailors again. That is terribly tragic, but the sad truth- regardless of how you slice it, dice it, play it or spin it…there simply is no excuse for this to have happened- none. It was a ****-up of the highest magnitude.

The lessons I learned thirty four years ago are still true today: (1) Never take an expert’s word for it; check the charts yourself! (2) Do not be intimidated by professionals! Professionals are like anyone- they are human, imperfect; they can, and do, make mistakes. If you are in doubt, if you have a question…..ASK! Say something!

The afternoon of our departure, I had asked our navigator, “What compass course will we be sailing initially?” After he gave me the answer, I went to the navigation station, sat at the desk, took out a pair of parallel rules, looked at the chart, located the course he’d given me on the chart’s compass display, and walked off the course from our point of departure. I found the course took us directly into a tiny atoll, about 35 miles north of Tahiti. I re-tried the course again, and again, getting the same result each time. I said to myself, “Nah. He must know this. He’s a world-famous professional sailor and navigator, and these are the best ocean sailors on the planet; I am nobody who knows nothing.” I’ll never forget it. As we sat on our wrecked ship, with breakers beating against the smashed hull, the moon eventually rose to reveal palm trees, and a sandy beach a couple of hundred yards away. My watch captain exclaimed out loud, “Where the **** are we???” I looked at him in complete disgust, and said: “I know exactly where we are!”

Our boat was insured, as is, I imagine, is Team Vestas Wind. Fortunately, yacht insurance policies do not have a “Stupidity Exclusion,” so there should be full coverage to salvage and repair this beautiful sailboat. I truly hope it can be repaired in time to return to the VOR, but if that occurs, sad to say, I would expect there’ll be a change of the afterguard. – Anarchist Kirk.

Volvos on cnbc now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So I got to spend the morning at the helm of an SB20, gorgeous boat, really easy to handle for somebody with my (lack) of experience. Winds were ideal, around 10-12 knots, so I could actually enjoy the sailing.

The boat was purchased second hand, but I couldn't help but notice a faded sticker on it that had "Member 2010 (something faded) Ireland". Are they sailed much in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There's a decent fleet of them in Dun Laoghaire, not sure about elsewhere.

pretty much a dead fleet now. Few in DL and 1 in howth. Fleets in Uk but they are really an events boat. Sports boats are fad that come and go. was the 1720s before

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So I got to spend the morning at the helm of an SB20, gorgeous boat, really easy to handle for somebody with my (lack) of experience. Winds were ideal, around 10-12 knots, so I could actually enjoy the sailing.

The boat was purchased second hand, but I couldn't help but notice a faded sticker on it that had "Member 2010 (something faded) Ireland". Are they sailed much in Ireland?

the fleet isn’t massive but there is a whole season of races scheduled for 2015 so they are obviously expecting some sort of competitive fleet.

if you haven’t already, checkout www(dot)sb3ireland(dot)com there is mention of an upcoming social even/prize giving for 2014 that may help you get some key contacts in the fleet.

the fleet isn’t massive but there is a whole season of races scheduled for 2015 so they are obviously expecting some sort of competitive fleet.

if you haven’t already, checkout www(dot)sb3ireland(dot)com there is mention of an upcoming social even/prize giving for 2014 that may help you get some key contacts in the fleet.

Thanks for the info.

I'm living abroad, so I'm not actually looking to get involved just yet. But I will keep an eye on that site.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

I'm living abroad, so I'm not actually looking to get involved just yet. But I will keep an eye on that site.

I dont know much about the fleet as I useually race cruiser but I was looking through that website and afloat and I'm nearly sure they had a racing fleet of 35 boats last year. its not massive but should supply some sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Icepick

Is it possible to live aboard in Malahide Marine atm?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Icepick wrote: »
    Is it possible to live aboard in Malahide Marine atm?

Yep you can it will work out at just under €400 per meter per year for the boat :eek: and then whatever services you need on top of that.

First sail of 2015 this morning in howth. Gorgeous morning for it even if was nippy on the face

neris wrote: »
    First sail of 2015 this morning in howth. Gorgeous morning for it even if was nippy on the face

Nice. What were you sailing?

Brass monkeys class 2. Watching king 1 & the j80 heading off over the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone know what boat it was went up on the South Wall today? Sounded/looked (from a picture) like a hairy thing to happen.

But seems like they all kept cool heads - well done all round. And sounds like not too much damage to the boat, thank goodness.

SAR heli nearly shattered my windows tearing across overhead, I assume that's where they were headed.

I'm just going to leave this here heidiheidi
    www (dot) mgmboats (dot) com/help-info/boatdetails/detail/boat-4943394

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Fingers crossed little or no damage done - horrible thing to happen!

As well I know, we having put our boat briefly up on the West Pier in DL trying to dodge the HSS a few years back :D

Here is a video of it, scary stuff :eek:

how the feck did they end up there? even if the engine packed it up they had a jib up on deck. Bendy boat wouldnt be a huge loss anyway, surprised the way they build them now a days that she didnt break up getting bounced around like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Genny ready to go but sailcover still on the main..... decision time when engine conks out - .....will I try to restart engine, will I drop anchor in the main channel, or will I take off mainsail cover, ties, etc., hoist sail and try to claw off....?? Always best to be prepared.......

Advertisement