Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Study help!

• 24-03-2015 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi guys, I can't study anymore? I don't know why! Maybe it's because I started to early? Burned myself out maybe! Any way I can fix this because I got 5 B's 2 C's and 1 D and 1 fail (maths) these are all higher level except irish btw. I know yous are probably thinking these are terrible compared to the rest of the results up here (well that's what I'm thinking) any way I can motivate myself again I used to always do it but now I done next to nothing, I try but just give up👊 don't even study on weekends now I'm gonna end up doing terrible as in my mocks feel pretty **** about myself atm. Excuse my language but it's just the truth someone help please :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Don't mind the others on here, your results are fairly average. The same thing happened to me during the junior cert - by the time the mocks had finished I had completely burned myself out and I could hardly do anything. I found that surrounding myself with a studious atmosphere helped to motivate me - do you do evening study, or do you have a library card? Taking up evening study or forcing yourself to go to the library at the weekends is a good way to make yourself get work done. If you find yourself getting distracted often, you could ask your parents to take your phone/laptop etc off you and only give it back when you've finished homework or making notes. I also found online resources really helpful. Websites like Youtube have lots of videos that cover information relevant to junior cert subjects, and there's also subject-specific websites like mrcjcs.com and molloymaths.com. The thing I like about them is that watching videos doesn't feel like studying and it doesn't take a lot of effort but it can really help to get the information clear in your head.
    I know you're probably sick of people telling you this, but try to remember that in the grand scheme of things the Junior Cert really doesn't matter at all. I did mine last year and after only a year I can barely remember my results. If you do badly in it, it's definitely not the end of the world - start afresh next year for the leaving cert cycle and try to space yourself out a bit more so you don't end up burning out. Good luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will do better than you think you will in the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Chickenwing47

spurious wrote: »
    You will do better than you think you will in the real thing.

People have said this to me before, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Chickenwing47

emersyn wrote: »
    Don't mind the others on here, your results are fairly average. The same thing happened to me during the junior cert - by the time the mocks had finished I had completely burned myself out and I could hardly do anything. I found that surrounding myself with a studious atmosphere helped to motivate me - do you do evening study, or do you have a library card? Taking up evening study or forcing yourself to go to the library at the weekends is a good way to make yourself get work done. If you find yourself getting distracted often, you could ask your parents to take your phone/laptop etc off you and only give it back when you've finished homework or making notes. I also found online resources really helpful. Websites like Youtube have lots of videos that cover information relevant to junior cert subjects, and there's also subject-specific websites like mrcjcs.com and molloymaths.com. The thing I like about them is that watching videos doesn't feel like studying and it doesn't take a lot of effort but it can really help to get the information clear in your head.
    I know you're probably sick of people telling you this, but try to remember that in the grand scheme of things the Junior Cert really doesn't matter at all. I did mine last year and after only a year I can barely remember my results. If you do badly in it, it's definitely not the end of the world - start afresh next year for the leaving cert cycle and try to space yourself out a bit more so you don't end up burning out. Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I should be okay hopefully because I got 5 B's and 3 C's and 1 D and a fail and I'll be chuffed if I get 3 A's 4 b's and a C and maybe at D (in maths) but hopefully two c's instead, people say I won't get this but to be honest I don't care if people don't think I can because i know if I put the effort in I can :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

People have said this to me before, hopefully.

It's true.
    The markers in the JC are trying to find answers to give you marks for. The whole exam is designed for you to do well.

The LC is different, but for the JC...
    • Believe you can do well <<<<----this is important. Don't let a set back like a tricky/difficult question early on put you off the rest of the paper.
    • Answer the right number/selection of questions. Don't leave without doing as many questions as you have to. You can't get marks for qs not done/attempted.
    • Answer the question you are asked. You might be surprised how many people do not do that.

The main reason some people do badly in the JC is not because they get questions wrong, it's because they leave questions out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement