Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farewell George - When will we see your like again?

Options
  • 21-03-2015 3:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Going to miss Hook so much. The 'new breed' are either looking after their future Irish management prospects (O'Shea) or too close to the players (Shaggy, ROG) to call it as they see it.

Sterile, inoffensive punditry. We may as well b e watching ITV during an England football international.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So you prefer an old buffon who doesn't have much of a clue about the modern game and throws outdated soundbites to get a reaction.

I'll prefer to listen to pundits who know what they are talking about and have an idea about the modern game.

Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

George Hook makes me want to turn off RTE and go over to BBC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

mfceiling wrote: »
    So you prefer an old buffon who doesn't have much of a clue about the modern game and throws outdated soundbites to get a reaction.

I'll prefer to listen to pundits who know what they are talking about and have an idea about the modern game.

Each to their own.

Clean shaven, image obsessed, not wanting to rock the IRFU boat yes men is the biggest turn off of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Good riddance to the old fool.

Clean shaven, image obsessed, not wanting to rock the IRFU boat yes men is the biggest turn off of all.

As opposed to a 73 year old man with ugly ties and talks about players and games that took place in the 50's...a real turn on:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,985 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I won't miss him.

I'll still tune into his radio show, but i won't miss him on rte

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

mfceiling wrote: »
    As opposed to a 73 year old man with ugly ties and talks about players and games that took place in the 50's...a real turn on:rolleyes:

Classy ageism there.

IRFU drones like Shaggy and O'Shea will bore us all into submission...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Rogs a better pundit than sexton

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Classy ageism there.

IRFU drones like Shaggy and O'Shea will bore us all into submission...

Why on earth would Conor O'Shea be an IRFU drone, they never employed him in his life?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I hadn't realised Tom McGuirk was retiring too. Did I miss that or was it just being kept quiet? Presumably Daire O'Brien will replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Going to miss Hook so much. The 'new breed' are either looking after their future Irish management prospects (O'Shea) or too close to the players (Shaggy, ROG) to call it as they see it.

Sterile, inoffensive punditry. We may as well b e watching ITV during an England football international.

Nonsense imo, RoG and O'Shea are fantastic pundits, and when they're controversial they can actually back it up with substance unlike Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

An absolute horror. The most anti Irish pundit I have ever come across. Not even on his last day could he muster up any bit of praise for what happened today. Good riddance, and a terrible analyst to boot. His own analysis revolved around making excuses for us winning. That was it. Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

icdg wrote: »
    I hadn't realised Tom McGuirk was retiring too. Did I miss that or was it just being kept quiet? Presumably Daire O'Brien will replace.

It seemed like it by the montage they had at the end alright. A touching one it has to be said regardless of your opinions of George... Rte always do a great montage when it comes to rugby. Anyone know what was the song playing over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It was a known thing but much less song and dance made of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

Could have been a year or three earlier, but I guess it's really hard to let go of a job like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Would like to see him replaced by opposition pundits ti get a balanced view of things.

And Hook isn't close to the opposite of that. He's plain anti Irish rugby. That is it. He offers no insight whatsoever. No matter how we play he cannot stomach us doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

George had a mandate to be provocative. Not my cup of tea but i wouldn't hold it against him.

"Alright" and "Rugby Football" on the other hand. His insufferable questions and and constant interruptions i won't miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Rogs a better pundit than sexton

Uh excuse me. ROG an above international pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

He is essentially a professional troll. The man would utter anything if he thought it would get a reaction from people.

Case in point is his recent comments re Payne which were disgusting and have no place in a professional studio. To be fair, Shaggy called him up on them but comments like that are purely designed to shock and create controversy.

I'll tune in far more often next yr to RTE commentary.

Bizarrely, he actually does a reasonable job on current affairs on the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I certainly won't miss our national broadcaster completely undermining heroic days in Irish sport by making every game about the pantomime reactions of one man. Good bye, good luck, but time for a new approach please.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

tanko wrote: »

Agreed. Well done, Ireland, you deserved the championship because you beat England in Dublin.

However, England produced the performance of the championship today, and in the process, scored almost as many tries as Ireland did in the entire tournament.

As a paid up member of the "chip on each shoulder brigade" Hook is unable to acknowledge that. Bring on a younger, more enlightened, generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone got a link to the montage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I hope Rte also get rid of Dunphy from the football soon.

Hook and Dunphy made careers out of saying controversial stuff and waffling on about it regardless of how dumb it was.

How the Irish people have listened to two motor mouths spouting rubbish for so long is a mystery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Not a huge fan of George Hook on his radio shows, but he always spoke his mind on the rugby analysis on RTE. Maybe he wasn't always right, but he gave his own views.

A lot of the more recent recruits on RTE - O'Shea, Shane Horgan and others - sound like insiders looking for IRFU jobs or ERFU jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

whatever_ wrote: »
    Agreed. Well done, Ireland, you deserved the championship because you beat England in Dublin.

However, England produced the performance of the championship today, and in the process, scored almost as many tries as Ireland did in the entire tournament.

As a paid up member of the "chip on each shoulder brigade" Hook is unable to acknowledge that. Bring on a younger, more enlightened, generation.

They may have put in the attacking performance of the competition but they conceded 35 points at home. You are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage doing that. They scored almost as many tries today as Ireland all comp but they conceded as many today as Ireland all comp. Won't be good enough come WC time.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

tanko wrote: »

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of George Hook on his radio shows, but he always spoke his mind on the rugby analysis on RTE. Maybe he wasn't always right, but he gave his own views.

A lot of the more recent recruits on RTE - O'Shea, Shane Horgan and others - sound like insiders looking for IRFU jobs or ERFU jobs.

Don't agree. His own views were pretty much anti the team no matter what. I doubt he even believed them himself. People keep mentioning honesty and controversy. It's nothing to do with that. It's anti us winning. Take the match against England. His best contribution after a brilliant win was that England stank and were hopeless. Not an ounce of praise for us, or why maybe England "stank." He actually said that the manner of our win offended him. He cannot analyse the team because he is far too preoccupied with criticising the team and making excuses for our success.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »

Seriously, do you read the papers or keep up to date with rugby in general?

O'Shea is the Director of Rugby with Harlequins - I doubt very much that the English Rugby chiefs are watching Rte to see what Conor O'Shea is saying - maybe we can employ him if he doesn't speak his mind.

Horgan is studying to be a solicitor and again I doubt that he is watching what he says on Rte to land a "plum" job with the IRFU.

Advertisement