Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What should I expect?

• 17-03-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've decided to go re-reg for this!

I've been going to a therapist for the past three months. I went to talk about depression and anxiety. We've been talking for the past few weeks, but two week ago I spoke the words "I am an alcoholic" to another person for the first time. There went years of denial, excuses and delusion. I won't go into all the details. Depressed because I drink, and drink because I'm depressed.

After 15 years of this denial I spoke those words. And I meant them. I often feared a world where I could never drink again. I now look forward to a world where I can experience the true joy of living without alcohol.

It has been a progressive two weeks since I spoke these words. I opened up to a close friend about my alcohol addiction. How it has destroyed my mental health, self-esteem and sense of self-worth. How it has eaten away at my physical and emotional wellbeing. How it has slowly taken more control over my life and left me without many of the gifts and talents I was born with.

I visited my doctor. Spoke the same words to him. Took a full medical check and questionnaire. Told him that my therapist recommend I visit my GP before making a decision to stop. Tomorrow I start Librium. I haven't drank since Sunday, but that is my usual pattern anyway, finish off on Sunday then start again on Wednesday evening until the following Sunday.

I'm to visit my GP three times in the first two weeks of taking a slowly decreasing dose of librium. Once that is over I'm to start an 8 week course of Mindfulness Based Stressed Reduction along with a much reduced dose of librium. The course was recommended to me by my Doctor, Therapist and Psychiatrist.

Sorry for the long message, but has anyone been recommended such a treatment program before? Not looking for any medical advice, but has anyone taken the MBSR course alongside the librium? Do they work together? I'm not opposed to AA, but my journey hasn't reached that crossroads just yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I've done the course of Librium but usually by that stage I was well sick of alcohol and didn't need counselling or a program,it was literally to stop me from drinking to keep withdrawals at bay.the first few weeks were hard but it does get easier with time,well done by admitting you have a problem...the only way is up when you give up the booze!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Excellent post and best wishes.

The MBSR course is an excellent idea for you, it's highly regarded and it's the more natural, compassionate way to emerge from this whole and happy with tools and coping skills for living life fully going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Hi Herb. Fair play for confronting your problem. It's not an easy thing to do.

My experience of librium was quite positive. It basically completely eliminates your alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Worth pointing out that as it's a benzo it's very addictive stuff, so is only for very short term use. I'm sure your doctor explained all that to you though.

I haven't done a MBSR course, but I do practice mindfulness meditation. I find it invaluable, and would recommend it to anyone. If you fancy a taste of it you could check out Headspace. It's an online mindfulness meditation course and the first ten days are free.

Don't know if any of that is relevant or helpful to you, but best of luck on your journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SepTomBer

Admitting your problem is the first step in fixing your problem and you did a good decision in taking an action. Librium has eliminate my anxiety and treated my withdrawal symptoms. There are addiction treatment centers programs in GA which involved counseling and therapies like meditation and fitness practices I've done and I can say they helped me get back on the right track. Most of all, your willpower and commitment to every medication and course you do will lead you to a successful recovery. Goodluck and be strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cianirwin

First of all well done for admitting u have a problem..it is the hardest part. It took me years but I eventually did and got help..I suffered from anxiety like you and went to see someone about it..however after going into a treatment centre for addiction to mainly prescription meds mainly benzos my anxiety and depression have disappeared..not immediately but after not taking anything or drinking for a while I realised how my anxiety was been caused by my drug use..try not to think u are not at a crossroads yet where u don't need A.A..people there are not judgmental and it would probably be the best thing u could ever go..I myself go to N.A at least 4-5 times a week..depending on your age u may prefer A.A or N.A...N.A tends to be a lot younger and covers everything.. With regards to Librium it depends on you..I know people who have taken it and it has helped them..however most people I know with the same problems have done better without it..for instance the person I was sharing a room with in the treatment centre who was taking it left after 2 weeks..a few days after stopping it..my opinion is cold turkey is best..I definitely think anyone who wants to stop needs as much help as possible.as many meetings as possible, treatment if possible and a lot of determination..anyway hard to go through stuff in something like this in a post but if u need to talk or want a advice (probably useless) mail me..I went through a treatment centre in Tippetary in Dec-Jan and was the best thing I ever did,, :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement