Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a calorie counter that's simple to use?

• 03-03-2015 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

What's the best calorie counter to use, I've no idea about calories that I take in during the day so I want to start counting and see where I've to cut back, also is there some book or something I could get to show proportions for ppl, I def think we all eat way more than we should proportion wise and Id like to try and start eating properly, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

My fitness pal, use it everyday can't praise it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dobad

Super thanks a mill will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Another vote for myfitnesspal..it's bloody brilliant. There's some initial work with searching for foods but people tend to eat the same things frequently so they'll be there in your 'recent foods'. You can also save meals that you eat regularly so can add them with one touch later for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Another vote for My Fitness Pal. I've been using it everyday for the last year or so.

Two very important things to remember: (i) make sure the foods in the food database have the correct nutritional information. A lot of foods other people created have a zero value for sugar/protein. And (ii) be honest when entering your portion sizes, otherwise you are just kidding yourself.

A couple of handy tips are to take a photo using your phone of the nutritional info on a food wrapper before you throw it in the bin. That way you will know for sure if it is correct on My Fitness Pal. Another tip is that the Tesco website is very good for showing the nutritional info of foods they sell (and they have almost everything!). Also, I have a very slim, neat digital weighing scales that I got cheaply in TK Maxx. It's great for weighing food.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dobad

I started myfitnesspal today. Wow its great. I did my whole day so far, I'm gone 15g over my fat allowance and still have 52g left in my calorie allowance, wow it really opens your eyes, I'm so impressed. Def going try keep it up.
    I also love the fact that I can just scan the barcode of what I'm eating and so far everything has come up perfect, exact name and tells me portion size and calories.....amazing, I've never had an idea of portions before so this def is going to help. Thanks mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

You can also play around with your fat/protein/carbs percentage targets. They're kind of arbitrarily set so you can change them to suit your goals/preference too. That'll come in time tho when you get a bit more used to tracking

Advertisement