Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on various bars for various things

• 28-02-2015 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

HI,

I've bought a few bars for training and also as meal replacement to lose weight. I do a fair bit of running and cycling but still have a gut that I'm trying to lose. I running distances of 14-20k at a time so I do need to take on some carbs before and after to get me through but don't like eating large meals before running. I've gotten 4 diff' types of bars for different purposes and I'm wondering if I got the right things.

I got "Quest" and "ON" bars as meal replacements. The ON one is the complete protein (choc Orage) and the quest is a mix of Vanilla and the peanut one. They seem low carb so was hoping to have these instead of either lunch of dinner (I only have a protein shake for breakfast).

For running, before I run, I have a Syntha-6 Rocky Road or a OhYeah vanilla toffee. If it's a race I'll have a few of those energy gels with me but that's a rare occasion and I usually only have one or two for anything over 10k.

DO you guys reckon I'm using the right bars? I'm not doing too many weights, but I do some at home. I'm mostly looking to lose wight and put on muscle through running/cycling/small amount of weights.

Any feedback would be very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

DO you guys reckon I'm using the right bars?

tbh, the right bars would be no bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

How so? They defo help for running.

And I've read they're good for meal replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Why do you want to replace meals?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How so? They defo help for running.

And I've read they're good for meal replacement.
    Youre better off eating real food. Bars may be handy but they are highly processed, probably contain ingredients you dont need, dont satisfy as well as real food, and contribute to poor eating habits. They dont help you if you tend towards a sweet tooth.

There are plenty of cheaper, better alternatives to bars which are really chocolate bars with added gimmick. Their only benefit is portability.

Sometimes it's an hour drive to a 15-20k run, and then an hour back. Use bars to give carb boost provide protein.

I want to skip meals to drop a few extra Kgs and a low carb high protein I thought was the way to do it.
    I go to college a few nights a week so I dont get home till 9 so I figure perfect time to have a bar.
    They fill me but are quite low cals.

• Advertisement

I want to skip meals to drop a few extra Kgs and a low carb high protein I thought was the way to do it.

Skipping meals is a bad way to reduce calories. If it's convenience you're after then preparation is your friend.

But dropping eating a meal in favour of a snack, albeit high in protein, isn't ideal or sustainable.

What is a typical day's food like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks for getting back.

I eat well. Perhaps I'm being slightly misleading. I'm probably considered very fit, do duatholons and small Tris (would do bigger if I could swim properly!).
    Breakfast is usually oats if training or yogurt and strawberry if not.
    I usually prepare all my lunch for the week in advance, mashed butternut/sweet pot'/carrots etc and either a chilli or some sort of low carb bean and sausage stew.
    I eat two pieces of fruit and about 150g of some sort of nut (usually Almonds) every day.
    Meals are all prepared by me and would in general be low carb. I haven't had booze in two months and I'm doing a 6 month off stint.
    My main issue I feel revolves around portion sizes and picking at food when I cook I think. I don't eat choclate or cakes/biscuits, no sweet tooth.
    BUt I eat a lot of the other stuff, meat, cheese, whatever. I don't eat pasta, rice, bread or any other refined carbs.

Also, I don't intend to use bars for ever as I'm not bulking up. I'm 5'7 and 66.5kg, so I'm not fat, I just need to ditch 3kg in two weeks.
    I could do this by starving myself, I've done it before but I felt crap, I'm hoping to do it by replacing 6 meals over the next 2 weeks with bars
    and replacing breakfast with a shake (I use ON Gold Whey) breakfast. I was 68kg, I was supposed to loose 4kg in a month, so far I'm down to 66.5kg, I just need to ditch the extra 2.5kg real soon.

Why do you need to drop the weight so quickly?

Personally, I'd be looking to get the 180 kcals and 20g of protein from a scaled back meal of food because it's just less of a switch.

conzy has some great tips for low cal meals from his Ultimate Diet days - check out his YouTube channel. Proper food, filling and low cal.

But unless there's a very good reason for having to drop the weight so quickly, just try reducing portions a llittle so you don't end up putting it back on

Thanks again.

I just made a bet with a guy in work. He's 14 st, I'm 10st10. It was just for motivation, I'm losing slightly!

I think the general consensus is that these bars are not for me. I do find them useful for the long distance stuff (had one before 1/2 marathon yest)
    but I think for meal replacement I'll just look at reducing portion sizes and go on a mad no eat type thing for the last week.

Thanks for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

If you want to get down to a particular weight for a race or something, crash dieting is not the way to go. You might lose the weight but might not deliver on the day. Substituting meals with protein bars is a bad idea, the majority of those bars are processed, you would be better off making your own or eating real food before and after your run. I remember reading about Chris McCormacks first attempt at Kona, he tried to get down to the lightest possible weight and failed miserably. Some people are not built to be super skinny.

If you are running 15-20k have something with a mix of protein and carbs straight after the run, like a banana with some milk. Then have a proper meal when you get home.

A good book to read is Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald, Dervla O Rourkes book is full of good healthy recipes for athletes with some good ideas for snacks also.
    Are you in a tri/running club? If you are, do they organise any talks where a nutritionist/coach comes to give a presentation to athletes. I know my local tri club do this. Also if you are training in a group you might get some ideas of what others are doing.

Advertisement