Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone cancellation fee!

• 18-06-2013 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So!
    I switched over from Vodafone at home to sky's new broadband service because I got a better deal basically and have sky tv so it made it easyer having 1 bill! When I left Vodafone I received a 300 + cancellation fee,my delema is that when I signed up for Vodafone at home I was 17 and lied saying I was 18. Does this mean that the cancellation fee which is stated in da contract (I persume) is not valid because the contract in itself is not valid? Please help me with this problem I have.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

So, rather than paying the fee you are liable for, you would prefer if they took it to court and had you charged with fraud??

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Powzy wrote: »
    So!
    I switched over from Vodafone at home to sky's new broadband service because I got a better deal basically and have sky tv so it made it easyer having 1 bill! When I left Vodafone I received a 300 + cancellation fee,my delema is that when I signed up for Vodafone at home I was 17 and lied saying I was 18. Does this mean that the cancellation fee which is stated in da contract (I persume) is not valid because the contract in itself is not valid? Please help me with this problem I have.

I think you've just discovered a loophole in all contracts that everyone should now exploit.
    ...or you've committed fraud and should just pay the fee for breaking contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Not legal advice but I assume you are now 18. It could be argued by continuing to use the service beyond your 18 birthday you affirmed the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Vodafone supplied services in good faith to you, which you consumed. I don't think that you have much chance of exploiting this "loophole".

Read the T&Cs in future, and don't cancel while still in contract, unless you're willing to pay cancellation fees.

dudara wrote: »
    Vodafone supplied services in good faith to you, which you consumed. I don't think that you have much chance of exploiting this "loophole".

Read the T&Cs in future, and don't cancel while still in contract, unless you're willing to pay cancellation fees.

To be fair even where the person is dishonest a contract can not be made with a minor. Luckily for Vodaphone it doesn't look like he's a minor anymore.

EDIT: having said that one might consider Broadband a necessary in this day and age.

Odd that Voda let the line be transfered with it still being in contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

He hasn't actually stated though that he is now 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Powzy

Soundman wrote: »
    He hasn't actually stated though that he is now 18.

I am now 18,I was kicked out ov home due to a family dispute,when I got my first house in 5th year I needed the internet for paying bills,studying and general entertainment I sapose! Only had 3 months left on my contract.I thought I was only on a 1 year but apparently they but me on a 2 year one which to be honest was news to me when I found out! Well safe to say learnt my ****in lesson now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Powzy wrote: »
    I am now 18,I was kicked out ov home due to a family dispute,when I got my first house in 5th year I needed the internet for paying bills,studying and general entertainment I sapose! Only had 3 months left on my contract.I thought I was only on a 1 year but apparently they but me on a 2 year one which to be honest was news to me when I found out! Well safe to say learnt my ****in lesson now!

Check your contract as if it does not state 24months they cant force you to pay for that. Ask for a copy of the contract or the call recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

sapose?
    da contract?
    ov house?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

Just cancelled my Sky sub--they certainly dont make it easy---had to ring them and the guy was an ignorant git ---I have cancelled my direct debits anyway---i found it strange that they don't want the sky box or dish back and told me to get rid of them myself---what do you do with a sky dish anyone??

• Advertisement

Harpic wrote: »
    Just cancelled my Sky sub--they certainly dont make it easy---had to ring them and the guy was an ignorant git ---I have cancelled my direct debits anyway---i found it strange that they don't want the sky box or dish back and told me to get rid of them myself---what do you do with a sky dish anyone??

You own the equipment. You can ask them to enable free view for you or sell the box if it's one of the Black Sky+HD boxes.

Advertisement