Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beers - March 10th. Venue?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

To the George! *crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

March 16th - Friday
    McChubbin wrote: »
    To the George! *crosses fingers*

I've no problem with that but there does seem to have been a consensus around here that non gay venues are preferred

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Feb 24th - Friday
    I'll leave the poll go for another while. I wouldn't rule out the possiblity that a small group might want to continue elsewhere afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I'd prefer a gay venue just because I'm less likely to bump into anyone I know who doesn't know I'm bi :o

But whatever everyone else wants is fine with me :)

March 16th - Friday
    I'd prefer a gay venue just because I'm less likely to bump into anyone I know who doesn't know I'm bi :o

But whatever everyone else wants is fine with me :)

It's impossible to please everyone - the impression I got before was that members prefer a general gay friendly but not gay venue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I'd prefer gay veune too, the reason I didn't voice this earlier was becasue I didn't know there was a non-gay venue consensus!

main reason being I'd rather talk to other people as well. Plus I believe having the night in a gay venue will be more worthwhile as an experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

If I go I'll bring some flasks of green, berry and chamomile tea for everyone (:D).

Also, are you guys going to be on laptops while sitting around?

March 16th - Friday

Also, are you guys going to be on laptops while sitting around?

Eh - no

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Eh - no

Damn, I'll be the only one there on a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

March 16th - Friday
    Damn, I'll be the only one there on a laptop.

I have no issue with a gay/ gay friendly/ straight venue. But the last few times I've been to beers the non gay venues seemed to have better attendance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

March 2nd - Friday
    great news, I was looking forward to something like this.
    I've voted for Feb 25th, but I can also be there Feb 24th, Mar 3rd and Mar 9th (all the other proposed dates I will be either out of Ireland or in a concert)
    I don't really mind where we'd go, anything in Dublin will do - I've been to Ireland only 4 months so I haven't really been around much. I would prefer though something not very noisy, you know, to be able to talk a bit.
    And contrary to other people, my concern is not that I won't like the people I will meet, but that these people won't like me!!!:o

March 16th - Friday
    Irish Aris wrote: »
    I would prefer though something not very noisy, you know, to be able to talk a bit.

agree on this - I hate that most gay bars in Dublin ratchet up the music so loud that you can't hear anything

Perhaps the compromise is a non gay bar first and then if people want to they can move to a gay bar

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

That sounds like a sensible idea, a gay friendly venue where people can relax and have a drink and a chat and those that wish to can move on to a gay venue later on, the rest can stay in the quiet place or go on home, whatever they like. Just need to decide on what the gay friendly place will be, not coming from Dublin myself we would need someone local probably to inform us of places to choose from. :)

March 16th - Friday
    Personally for a gay friendly venue that is comfortable and relatively quiet i'd go for The Bank. It's also very close to the gay bars (George, Front Lounge, and at a push it's not THAT far to Panti...).

It's also my favourite bar right now, and the inspiration for my username, so I may be biased. :p

sounds perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Isn't The Bank awefully expensive? :confused:

If you want somewhere cheap and near enough to the George/Dragon, O'Reilly's on Tara St is great! haven't been there in ages but last time I was there it was something ridiculous like €3.20 for all pints all day! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Any one gonna be gay pubin it on val day in Dublin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Feb 24th - Friday
    I'm sure a side event could be arranged for Valentines day for all the singletons around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Couples as well. Does anyone no if there is anything going on in the George that night

• Advertisement

Feb 24th - Friday
    http://www.thegeorge.ie/whats-on.aspx Keep an eye on the events page or email them.

March 16th - Friday
    Melissa etheridge is playing the Olympia on valentines, I'd say there'll be a few events on surrounding that, she's a huge lesbian icon. I think this is her first gig in Ireland.

As for the bank, I don't really know how alcohol prices there compare, I dont think it's more expensive than other places. But I could be wrong. I like it because it's relaxed and no blaring music. Clearly I am old! But h mightn't even make it, but it was just a suggestion of a gay friendly place in town.

Should we all wear name tags with our usernames on it so we can work out who's who? :D It might get confusing trying to match usernames with names and figuring out who you're talking to!

Paddy C wrote: »
    Should we all wear name tags with our usernames on it so we can work out who's who? :D It might get confusing trying to match usernames with names and figuring out who you're talking to!

You don't have to say what your username is. I certainly don't want people saying 'Hey jaffacakes will you get me a pint while you're up there' to me all night :pac:

Well, no I didn't mean for that purpose, more for associating people with their usernames so if you ever speak to them on the forums afterwards you will have an idea of who's who!

March 16th - Friday
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Well, no I didn't mean for that purpose, more for associating people with their usernames so if you ever speak to them on the forums afterwards you will have an idea of who's who!

I'd honestly feel like a Plonker with a namebadge.

Terry Pratchet

OK, no name badges then, but I will probably ask people what their username is when I'm chatting to them anyway! :D

screw the nametags,

asking people their name is a perfect Ice breaker.

Well what's the craic :pac: Just thought I'd bump up this thread :p

So the last beers I was at it was all girls and only one poor fella. Wonder what it will be like for this beers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Dark Chocolate

March 16th - Friday
    Just added my votes now. I'll be happy enough to go whatever night it is and meet the gang. How many of you know each other? It'll be all new to me anyway as I don't know anyone here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement