Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E-Cigarettes - The original thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't know if they're refillable - my yoke came with about 10 of them. I'm sure you can cook up your own flavour though.

I'll give my one a go again, but I was a bit disappointed. The amount of vapour was OK, but it just seemed to die down very quickly after the first drag or two. I want to use it continuously for a few minutes like a cigarette, not every few minutes for a short time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Most of the 510 models are the Joye 510s rebranded with some exceptions(clones). The clone I know of is the BE510 and is just as good from my experience. They are essentially rivals to Joye. All of these guys buy them off the chinese and rebrand them from Joye 510 or BE510 to Janty/Titan and so on.

I would be almost certain there is something wrong somewhere if you were underwhelmed eoin. Bad batteries/attomisers even 0 nic cartridges issued in error. It's hard to know.

The battery life for me equated to 2-3 hours overall even if that only equated to an hour of actually pressing the button. Thats why I didn't waste much time moving on to a bigger battery, the SD/Tornado fitting the bill best imo.

The Screwdriver is smaller than you think. You can easily cover it with your hand which is the natural way to hold it as the button is on the bottom and nobody will see what is in you hand bar the atomiser in your mouth.

Finally I have yet to come accross any cartridges that can't be refilled. All of them are the same idea - material in them that are dabbed in the liquid and which you can drip more liquid into. The main reason to buy blanks is so you won't have two flavours mixed up when you start dripping say strawberry in a tobacco cartridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 3D

Well I stumbled upon this thread last week - while looking for peoples impressions of hypnotism for quitting and I have to say it inspired me to order a 510 and give it a whirl.

First impressions are that its quite good - I like the initial hit but like Eoin mentioned after the first few draws it does seem to be much harder to get a good hit. I'm no expert but could it be due to the atomizer not getting enough liquid? I do tend to take long draws so all the liquid close to the atomizer would be quickly used up? Or could the pre-packaged cartridges have "dried" out somewhat?

I also ordered some blanks and some Hilton so going to give it some experimentation tomorrow and see if I can get a setup that suits me.

I have to say I really like the sweet taste though - much nicer than the taste of the real thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

I think tbh, the problem ye both had with smoking it like a cig is something I had to deal with by getting more batteries and atomizers and having a few on the go at once.....this is because when you take a about 3 or 4 drags the atomizer heats up to a fairly hot temp and it really needs to cool down again before it 'wicks' up more juice properly. So it cant be quick dragged like a cig; but if you have 4 on the go rotating then it can, as you are dragging on another as the previous atomizer is 'cooling down' or 'wicking'.

Also IMO there is too much 'packing' i.e. filler in the carts...taking it out and cutting it in half and using half the amount of filler helps keep the wicking going better because the normal amount dries at the top end and the bottom end is still filled with juice that is taking ages to wick through the filler, so cut it down in size.

Also eoin, I'm using at the moment a 24mg cigar flavour in a screwdriver and it would nearly knock me off my feet if i took a strong few drags so there has to have been something off about your last setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Another recomendation here for the 510, got mine from thevapourstore.ie and haven't had an "analouge" for nearly a month. Getting best results from dripping and using the manual batteries seems to produce a better hit,take both a standard and a mega battery to work & does a 12 hour day. Using 24mg RY4 and can really recomend it, can also highly recomend the vapour store for its consistant next day delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

syngindub wrote: »
    as with chewing-gum, patches and now these i don't understand how you can quit nicotine addiction by giving yourself nicotine. It make NO sense.
    Would you see somebody with an alcohol patch if they were giving up the drink.I don't think so.

It's not the same thing, people are not necessarily giving up nicotine, this is not the most harmful part - its the tar and other sh*t that causes the most harm !! So if it helps in giving up that what the hell, nicotine addiction can come later....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I'd be willing to sell my e-cigarette pack, I never experienced any real 'kick' with it, although that may be due to the low strength of the cartridges, hardly used. May place an advert on adverts.ie. Haven't smoked actual cigarettes since October.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Well hows everybody getting on? Still off them old fags here, which is amazing...been using the flavourart flavours more lately and find them very subtle and satisfying....so much so that the regualar premixed stuff all taste too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 3D

Still using both at the moment - though I think I have finally worked out in the last couple of days that I was not using enough liquid (Not refilling often enough) to give me the hit I wanted/expected/needed and in a 510 with an auto battery I can happily puff away with no thoughts of sneaking out to have a "real" ciggie.

On another note - I seen adapters on TECC that allow you to inter-exchange batteries and atomisers - so going to pick one up that allows me to use my 510 atomisers with my screwdriver mkII.

Link if anyone is interested:
    http://www.theelectroniccigarette.co.uk/products/electronic-cigarette-multi-adaptors-products.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

6 months cig free now. A lot of more advanced and interesting battery mods appearing these days. I can't quite afford something like the fistpack although it does seem to do almost everything but I ordered a very reasonable stomp box which is winging it's way across the water as we speak.

• Advertisement

3D wrote: »
    On another note - I seen adapters on TECC that allow you to inter-exchange batteries and atomisers - so going to pick one up that allows me to use my 510 atomisers with my screwdriver mkII.

Link if anyone is interested:
    http://www.theelectroniccigarette.co.uk/products/electronic-cigarette-multi-adaptors-products.html

Almost all of the decent suppliers are doing those adapters these days. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aceddooces

Hi Folks,
    Im still quite happily vaping away to my hearts content with my joye 510. Havent had to get any new atomisers or batteries yet :D, using since march touch wood. Have gone to Ok smokey and on the df old holburn and drum it great stuff. Have heard of the passthrough to use with the comp does anyone use one and if so is it any good. I really need to get more batteries as im forever recharging.
    Glad to see so many peeps converting to e ciggie it really is good. Also does anyone know any where in the midlands where you can vape in a pub all pubs ive asked so far have said the would prefer if i didnt as other people wouldnt understand and would be inclined to light up.

aceddooces wrote: »
    Glad to see so many peeps converting to e ciggie it really is good. Also does anyone know any where in the midlands where you can vape in a pub all pubs ive asked so far have said the would prefer if i didnt as other people wouldnt understand and would be inclined to light up.

Passthroughs are a bit of a strange one with the 510. USB sockets are rated at 500mA and most 510 attomizers will require much more than that so what it might do to the atty or your pc is a question. I have a very goog PT but I am searching for a proper mains powered usb solution so I can be sure it gets the right mA.

As for pubs I'm generally happy to vape outside like any other smoker so I've never asked. Until I have a bout 5 pints or more when I start to stealth vape indoors :) Over in the UK they are trying to start an awareness campaign for pubs producing a flyer to be handed out to the pub owners to fill them in on what they are. It would probably help a pubs business if they allowed e-cigs and made more people aware of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

Ha Ha 'stealth vaping' - I know what you mean - blow it into your sleeve!!
    Great in the supermarket if you get a pang for a vape...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mr.spids

great post fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I'm involved with an ecigaratte company, not selling to eire though.

I'm Currently using their product now for about 2 months, and actually heading to china to visit the factory soon (that should be interesting!)

Its a 2 piece (cartonizer/batter) design as opposed to the 3 piece, vaporiser / cart / battery and hits the nail on the head BIGTIME .. I'm finally off the fags !!!!

I've had the 3 piece (separate vaporizer) model in the past but the 2 piece "cartonizer" seems to be doing a much better trick .. carts do cost more and "technically" are not meant to be refilled .. the whole idea is a fresh vaporizer each time, but they refill just fine by popping the plug i have managed to Burn out 2 or three though (they taste really bad if the wadding burns).

It holds ALOT more fluid than any other cart i've seen or used, lasts about 40 fags normally .. with about 12-15 drops.

Being a menthol smoker helps I guess, i can't imagine Vaping tobacco "flavour" (I've even seen turkey flavoured vapour though for sale here!)

i know what you mean though...its like having a never ending fag and hard to stop vaping especially as i'm on the computer at home all day.

I think the only thing I miss is "having" to go outside for a smoke :P

http://www.smokegeniecigs.com is the one i'm using ..... as I said not available in Ireland (although you never know in the future ;).. its about the same as greensmokes design (non-compatible though)

Just wish more governments would just rule "something" on them to get them out of the grey limbo area...regulate the carts/liquid (dont impose stupid taxes though) so at least we know what we're getting...lead paint in kids toys from china is a worrying thought.

Fact is they've gotta be better than fags though, and yet governments are comparing them to inhalers !

Has there been any issues with the our government on them to date .. I've been searching but honestly not found much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mewso wrote: »
    Personally I would get the 510 model buts it's difficult be certain about the best model for each individual. I went into this prepared to try one or two models at least to see what suits. I prefer the 510 as I found the feeling in my throat closer to the real thing and most importantly I much prefer the manual button to the automatic. Takes a little bit fo getting used to but you can control how long of a pull you want wheras the auto has a cut-out of about 5-6 seconds I think. As to where to buy well no harm in going Irish:-

http://www.thevapourstore.ie - only problem is they only have white models at the moment. If you are happy with white you'll have it the next day.

Failing that there are a few excellent UK sites I would recommend:-

liberty-flights - an excellent site and the owner posts on http://ukvapers.com so I can get a hold of him easy enough if I want but the customer service is excellent in general anyway. Unfortunately they are out of stock for the 510 so next option would be...

The list of UK suppliers on UKVapers - sites I have used are Totally Wicked, E-Cigs, VapourStation but most on the list are known by the forum so safe enough. Look for a good price. If you decide to go with Totally Wicked then consider the Tornado. It's a 510 with a much better battery and I like it. The OKSmokey liquid is great but I didn't have a good experience with their 510 so I can't recommend it I'm afraid.

Really I'm afraid you just have to dive in, watch some videos on how best to use them or ask here about it when you have a model and so on. It's certainly worth 30-50 euro to see if it will work imo.

To sum up:-

The 510 is the best throat kick imo.
    901 Cartridges fit in 510 attomisers but 510 cartridges don't fit in 901s. Either way if you get a bottle of liquid you can drip some into an already used cart of any type. The liquid is all the same regardless of model.
    Are they hard to use? - a bit finnicky but nothing thats going to stop you if it works for you in terms of stopping smoking.
    Don't be afraid to try more than one model. Use the first model to see if it's got potential for you. If it doesn absolutely nothing for you then fair enough. If it works for you great. If it's almost but not quite then maybe try a different model - 901, cartomiser (the two piece which I haven't tried but is supposed to be good for throat hit) or try different liquids and strengths (I personally have settled on 18mg which is consider medium to high).
    The cartridges you get with a starter kit normally come with basic tobacco flavour which has a mildly sweet taste so if you want to get a bottle with your order maybe get something like Hilton which lacks the sweet taste so you can compare or even menthol. I never smoked menthol but the liquid does give a great throat hit imo.

See I've written a lot more than I intended. It really is hard to pin it down :)

Right took your advice and ordered a 510. Will post back with the results, I'm hoping this will work where patches and gum have failed etc!

Initial impressions:
    • Good throat hit, enjoyable.
    • Will take some getting used to, not an immediate replacement for smoking but it does satisfy the cravings for a cigarette which is very important.
    • Not tasting much but that's probably down to my taste buds being shot from smoking!
    • Biggest negative so far is that thevapourstore.ie didn't send a USB charger with my 510 kit, only a mains charger. I'd have liked to have a USB charger to charge from my PC.

thevapourstore.ie dont supply usb charger as part of the 510 kit and they dont seem to stock one at all. I'm using a 510 from thevapourstore for 3 months nearly and found it real easy to quit a 20+ year habit. Decided to try their 801 model last week and cant get on with it at all, its useless compared to the 510, emailed them yesterday to give 'em my impression of the 2 models and they credited me the value of the 801 'cause i found it so bad.

Anybody tried the 601 pipe? thinking it might be worth a shot.

I'm in no way assosiated with thevapourstore.ie but can highly recommend them.

• Advertisement

Right, after a few more hours use:
    • I'm not craving a cigarette at all. I'm totally happy with my 510.
    • The dreaded after-dinner cravings were satisfied with a few puffs on my 510. Probably the biggest test so far for the device! Tomorrow should be interesting when my first thing in the morning craving gets the 510 treatment.
    • I've been out of the house several times and each time I brought my 510 not cigarettes. I felt no urge to bring cigarettes at all, I was happy to just have the e-cig with me. I felt no temptation to buy cigarettes in the shop either which is something that I've had with every other quitting attempt I've gone through.
    • Using 26mg liquid seems to be the sweet spot for me at the moment. Will probably try some 32mg soon.
    • At its core it's simple: When I crave a fag I just take a few puffs of the 510 and my craving is satisfied. It's taking some getting used to but I'm pretty certain at this point that this will work. It's not like quitting at all really. It feels more like having a cigar instead of a cigarette. Both satisfy the same need but both are very different experiences.

Yeah that morning craving was something i wasn't looking forward to dealing with, and i got to agree its not like quitting smoking, its more like changing brands, pretty sure i'll never go back to "analogs" :D .... Was a big deal for me going to to work the first time without me fags.

Oh, and expecting delivery of apple flavour juice tomorrow, looking forward to a change from my regular ry4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

i was talkin to some people in england who were using these,
    and i decided to try it myself cos they said they were really good.

and i agree, i think theyre brilliant.
    i have smoked 3 cigarettes in the last 2 weeks,
    and have absolutely no feeling to have one anymore,
    im now used to the e-cig and just smoke that all the time.

im using the dse801 with high strength cartridges from the vapourshop.ie, and i find it great.
    although i will agree that the throat hit is sometimes inconsistant.
    but i just kind go with it.

i think theyre brilliant for givin up smokes.

Got myself a Tornado and honestly I don't think I could go back to a mini e-cig. Having a load of battery life is just bliss really. I would strongly recommend new people to get a Tornado/eGo/Riva first, it's the 510 experience without the annoying repeated battery changes! That and the batteries last much longer because you're putting them through fewer charging cycles each day. First battery lasted 7.5 hours of heavy chain vaping which is more than acceptable.

Hey nesf where did you pick that up? Was in a shop just off Gardner st yesterday that sells e-juice and stuff....

gbob wrote: »
    Hey nesf where did you pick that up? Was in a shop just off Gardner st yesterday that sells e-juice and stuff....

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Any bricks and mortar shops in Dublin sell starter kits?

Thinking of trying this stuff out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

nesf wrote: »
    Got myself a Tornado and honestly I don't think I could go back to a mini e-cig. Having a load of battery life is just bliss really. I would strongly recommend new people to get a Tornado/eGo/Riva first, it's the 510 experience without the annoying repeated battery changes! That and the batteries last much longer because you're putting them through fewer charging cycles each day. First battery lasted 7.5 hours of heavy chain vaping which is more than acceptable.

But can you use it for 5 minutes straight, like you would with a cigarette?

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Any bricks and mortar shops in Dublin sell starter kits?

Thinking of trying this stuff out.

talbot st, just off Gardner st there's a newsagent opposite the cashpoint machine run by a Chinese family, not sure how good their stuff is but might be worth checking out.

Hellrazer from IBF?

Advertisement