Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Defenders hold their value, a same age Disco would be €4-5k less. Trouble is DCs aren't that common and importing a station wagon for conversion in to a utility is a pain. The load bed in a DC is very small unless you go for a 130 (there was a bargain one on DD a while back and no arguement about them being commercial). If you fancy one, keep your eye open on there and on the Ireland forum on Landroveraddicts, may find a bargain. It's easy to smarten up a scruffy one as long as the mechanicals haven't been abused.

Great, we're back!

May have been a bit OTT with value on the DC, may get that in the UK, whether there's demand to support that here, I'm not sure, make a silly offer! ;)

An illustration of the price differentials though is an 04 Disco II commercial has been reduced to €6750 on LRA forum, early D3s are now less than 10k at auction in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

put these on the other day and tidyed up a few other things
    painted the light surounds and grill matt black and painted rear cross member matt black too
    SDC13776.jpg
    SDC13778.jpg
    SDC13779.jpg
    SDC13780.jpg
    SDC13781.jpg
    SDC13782.jpg
    SDC13784.jpg
    SDC13785.jpg
    SDC13777.jpg

when i bought my defender i noticed a small hole in the passenger side floor matt i could see outside through it so i opened the bonnet and had a closer look and i seen a much bigger hole where the previous owner must have been doing some shooting inside the defender ha ha , anyway i stripped her and fixed it during last week heres some pics

SDC13733.jpg
    SDC13734.jpg
    SDC13735.jpg

shot brake pipe bracket off
    SDC13736.jpg
    SDC13737.jpg

cut out bad bit
    SDC13738.jpg
    SDC13741.jpg
    SDC13739.jpg

welded in and grinded flat
    SDC13743.jpg
    SDC13744.jpg

had to make new bracket
    SDC13746.jpg

painted and wax oyled
    SDC13748.jpg
    SDC13749.jpg
    SDC13750.jpg
    SDC13752.jpg

Nice job, you certainly went out of your way to do a proper job rather than a bodge.

• Advertisement

Proof that throwing your spare cash at a Land Rover is better than putting it in the bank!

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investing/article.html?in_article_id=498002&in_page_id=166

101sean wrote: »
    Nice job, you certainly went out of your way to do a proper job rather than a bodge.

thanks sean , if a job's worth doing its worth doing right , i really hate bodge jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

thanks sean , if a job's worth doing its worth doing right , i really hate bodge jobs

Nice work there lad

I suppose you don't want to sell it to me for a really low price by any chance do you?

I'm currently 4x4 less and looking for one

ha ha wouldn't part with her i'd never get one as clean for the money i paid :D

I'm surprised no one has been on here offering you beer tokens for your welding skills to patch their holey bulkhead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ha ha wouldn't part with her i'd never get one as clean for the money i paid :D

Thought I'd chance my arm anyway. :D

It's bloody spotless and it can be hard to find a clean one unless you pay big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

A friend of a friend is selling her 08 Defender County pack with 75K miles for €17,000
    What do you experts think of that price
    Is it reasonable
    No marks other than a few scratches/briar marks
    tow bar never used
    Might treat myself
    Advice please

08 if am right thats the new Ford puma engined defender , i don't like these they got real bad reviews , also does it have traction control if so that give trouble in them , i'd be careful , also it has high enough miles for 08 for a defender

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Thanks Deer Hunter
    Dont know will ask and come back to you

That's cheap although as pointed out, it is high mileage for an 08. Has it got dealer service history (should have had 4 or 5 services by now), walk away if not as warranty won't be valid and any software updates not done. The early problems with the Pumas have been sorted I believe although there's plenty of discussion about them on the UK forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

You're better off with the old defenders (pre 2007, but best are pre 2001).
    Less to go wrong, less to worry about and they last forever. This new wave of lannie isn't the same breed. Too refined and trying to be 'urban'

Just to correct you on your dates, Puma engines and 6 speed boxes came in 2007. Td5 was 1998 -2006, very reliable but electronics scare some, post 02 ones best. 300Tdi 1994 - 1998, prefered by many as they have no electronics, still have a cambelt that should be changed if previous owner can't prove it's been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rachaelworld

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say great thread so far. Nice to see and feel the love on here.

Although I am yet to own a landy as an adult, I grew up in the 70's and 80's in the back of plenty. My fathers job took us overseas, and into the deserts of Africa and jungles of Asia. He would always put down thick plywood boards on the fold down lateral seats in the back, then foam mattresses and bedding, and me and my younger sister and brother would "live" there as we drove for days into the desert with other families for our "holidays". All our gear would fit underneath and on the roof racks. The adults would sling a tarpaulin between the vehicles and they'd sleep there at nights.

They were all friends and they were all put through a lot. I remember numerous occasions of holding on for dear life as we drove down steep dry river banks, or repeatedly bouncing and banging my head on the roof as we steamed along "roads" that consisted of many other vehicle rutts, half a mile wide, wailing at my Dad in anger. I remember getting stuck and breakdowns in the *rsehole of nowhere and my dad elbow deep in the engine, and I remember my mum having to crank the front to start on one model. I also remember sitting on the roofs with my siblings and the other kids, from the other families, looking for miles and miles as the sun set on a far away horizon.
    My first driving lesson, aged 5, I drove the thing at a type of bush that grows for hundreds of years in the soft desert sand, and the menfolk spending hours trying to dig us out, and various approaches with sand ladders. They were not very happy I recall :D

My father was an avid photographer, he liked his cameras like his cars, fully manual and reliable, OM1's. He always had 2 ready to go, one black and white and one colour, and as a result there are many, many pics of us in and around our Landrovers, always looking dusty or sticky, and relaxed and content.

Anyway, I have long wanted a Defender and so I periodically have a look. I bumped into this very recent thread and enjoyed the read, particularly some great pics guys, nice work. I'd love a 110 Diesel with a fixable engine, the 300 sounds good.

Anyways, hope you don't mind me indulging in a bit of reminiscence of a Sunday afternoon. Thought yous might appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing the memories :cool:

Hope you find a decent Defender, don't write off the Td5 though unless you are totally leaving civilisation, they are very reliable and fixable, you can get devices to talk to the electronics so you don't need a dealer (I have a Nanocom, around £230). The 300Tdi is still a good engine though (was available in ROW export Defenders until 2006)

sean will you post up some pics of your 101 FC :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Thanks for sharing the memories :cool:

Hope you find a decent Defender, don't write off the Td5 though unless you are totally leaving civilisation, they are very reliable and fixable, you can get devices to talk to the electronics so you don't need a dealer (I have a Nanocom, around £230). The 300Tdi is still a good engine though (was available in ROW export Defenders until 2006)

Do you have much experience of the nanocom ?
    I recently got a new key fob and programmed it in with the nanocom via pc. It took me a while to figure out now myimmobiliser light is constantly on but it drives fine.
    Any idea how I turn it off ?

That's odd, shouldn't start with that light on! Did you have to use the EKA code routine to get it to work or just use the Nanocom to get Alarm to talk to the fob?

I've saved myself and my brother in law a heap of money with the Nanocom but it can be tempremental and the manual translation from Italian to English isn't great :rolleyes: There are alternatives but are more expensive and locked to one vehicle type or even to a chassis number.

With pleasure DH :D
    Off roading on Salisbury Plain a couple of years ago.

PLAININVASION2008058.jpg
    PLAININVASION2008048.jpg

really starting to like these , you keep yours in very mint condition too , very nice indeed

It's not that mint, you should see some UK examples! It is pretty straight and original though but with some minor mods for comfort and reliability (comfy seats, Facet pump, SU carbs, electronic ignition, overdrive). Beauty of something with no curves and matt green paint, doesn't take much to make them look good :D

I have the matching trailer as well that carries all my camping kit ( I don't travel light :rolleyes:). Have a NATO hitch and NATO electrics on the 110 so I can tow it with that as well
    100_1509.jpg

To get this Defender thread back on track, here's what one (and a load of other privately owned MVs) looks like out the back of a 101 on Salisbury Plain :D

PLAININVASION2008103.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Super pics there Sean.
    Love the motors & trailer.
    I've a Mk3 Hilux single cab myself but have always loved Defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Mental Note.......must get myself and defender to Salisbury plain.
    The more i see of it the more i want to go.
    Is there any decent wild camping to be had on the plain?

Most of the plain is a military training area and no camping is permitted. It's criss crossed by 100s of miles of public rights of way but these may be closed a few times a year when there's live firing. Never ever stray off the byways (not all tracks are rights of way) as not everything goes bang when it lands :eek:, watch out for tanks crossing and don't upset the Range Wardens.

The byways extend beyond the military areas and some are wide enough to stop overnight on (there's one right behind Stonehenge), there's also campsites around. Some fantastic off roading, Total Off Road magazine recently did a roadbook and did a 250mile one a couple of years ago that took 2 days to do. Easy enough to plan your own, byways are clearly marked on OS maps of the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Just to correct you on your dates, Puma engines and 6 speed boxes came in 2007. Td5 was 1998 -2006, very reliable but electronics scare some, post 02 ones best. 300Tdi 1994 - 1998, prefered by many as they have no electronics, still have a cambelt that should be changed if previous owner can't prove it's been done.

Sure but there are landrovers available after 1998 that have the 300 TDI engine in it :)

Advertisement