Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free/pay off roading / green lanes info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

A bunch of lads I know are going today, it is an extreme course, their insurance requires you to where a helmet! :eek:

If you're around Loughrea and hear shouts of "Banzai!" followed by a loud crash, that's one of them throwing his Suzuki off the track again! :rolleyes:

Flowerhill 4x4 is open regularly now, details here - http://www.4xforum.net/index.php?topic=875.0

They are going to develop a course for shinys but ran out of time before last weekend. A standard vehicle will go round the majority of the current course on mud tyres.

Ist 4xforum swapmeet will be held at Dartfield Equestrian Centre near Loughrea on 15/16 October.

Clear out your shed and sell your old crap, buy more crap essential parts and fill your shed back up!

20 euro for people selling stuff, free for prosective buyers, all makes of trucks, Offroad course also open for the weekend.

Say off-roading Saturday, barbecue byo (and a few beers) Sat evening ...

(the more that go for the off-roading Sat , the better for those selling parts on Sunday)

Sale on Sunday starting around 12 noon until 4 / 5 pm , so that those coming up the Sunday only also have the opportunity of doing a bit off-roading in the morning ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

did a list of free places ever get listed ?
    or did this thread turn into a posting for paying clubs

There's pretty much nowhere in Ireland to play for free. The only exceptions are a few areas like the wilds of Donegal with tracks that require local knowledge you're only going to get through a club or the likes of 4xforum.net. There just isn't a historical rights of way structure like in the UK.

• Advertisement

This is going ahead on Saturday/Sunday 15/16 October.

Offroading on the Saturday, camping and bbq Sat night. Cost €20, bring your own beer and grub for the barbie.

Sunday offroading plus swapmeet from 12.00. Anyone selling €20 a pitch, free entry for buyers.

http://www.4xforum.net/index.php?topic=926.0

spotted it a bit late
    but would be interested in going along to next one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

hey ya any course in munster nothing too serious im based in kerry but probably will have to travel ?

I assume you mean offroad course which is why I moved your post here.

There's nothing down your way I'm aware of. Munster 4x4 do guided events in the Ballyhouras but aren't cheap.

If you are prepared to travel a little further, there's Flowerhill and Dartfield, both in Galway, as in the above posts. There's an event at Dartfield this weekend.

any 4x4 club around dartfield flowhill people i wanna get to know i always wanted to do off roading its not too far i reckon i have a trailer anyway

• Advertisement

Have a look at the website, fair crowd going to Dartfield this weekend, possibly 40 or more. There's links to all the clubs on there as well.

Dartfield has courses for all levels of skill or shineyness of 4x4 ;)

any offroading in kerry greenlaning etc pay and play

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

I have found a few tracks around Dublin/Wicklow mountains. You can get behind the barriers on some of them you just have to look for a way in, dont ask me where they are and I suggest no one else mentions where these places are for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 grayman

I pay my way and more no problems. However paying €60 each time for the one hours off roading that I would want to do a few times a year doesnt work for me. In the UK there are hundreds of free green lanes to use and I started this thread to see if there are any in Ireland.

Hey Dave.

Just came across this.. Did you find a free place? If not i use the army one in kildare where they train the lads for driving the pajeros off road. Its free and anyone can use it although you have to stick to the track and only have one jeep on it at anyone time and if they catch you messing they will ask you to leave.

Its not for extreme stuff but can be a good bit of fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

grayman wrote: »
    If not i use the army one in kildare where they train the lads for driving the pajeros off road. Its free and anyone can use it although you have to stick to the track and only have one jeep on it at anyone time

Where exactly does this start/end? Any time I'm down I see random jeeps dotted about but figured they were all trainers & jockeys in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 grayman

Come off the N7 and head as if you're going to Killcullen and about 2 miles down you will see a track on your left follow this track around and over the hill and its on the far side you cant see it from the road. I found it by chance last year and go down about once a month.....

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

i like here in kilkenny have a hill called brandon hill just beside me miles and miles of forest tracks free all day everyday u can actually drive to the top the highest point in kilkenny:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Deadly Dave

Hey Dave.

Just came across this.. Did you find a free place? If not i use the army one in kildare where they train the lads for driving the pajeros off road. Its free and anyone can use it although you have to stick to the track and only have one jeep on it at anyone time and if they catch you messing they will ask you to leave.

Thanks grayman. I might give that a go some time :)

i like here in kilkenny have a hill called brandon hill just beside me miles and miles of forest tracks free all day everyday u can actually drive to the top the highest point in kilkenny:D:D:D:D

Can you confirm that it's driveable? It's Coilte land and they insist on €13m public liability insurance for vehicle access.

It's advertised as a walking trail. http://www.trailkilkenny.ie/walking-trails/brandon-hill/

yep very driveable lost of different tracks and ive never had to ask any1 to drive on have beening driving it for years me and my friends guys on quads and scramblers use it aswel ur welcome to come down some sat day and we can show u around

• Advertisement

Fair enough, just unusual to find somewhere free here! I may take you upon that sometime.

Been asked by Leinster 4x4 to post details of an upcoming challenge event that looks very well organised -
    ANNAGH HILL CHALLENGE 19th & 20th May 2012

Test the skills and capability of you and your vehicle on some of the most challenging terrain in Leinster

Due to the success of this event over the last 2 years we are extending it to a weekend event.
    This will enable those who can not attend Saturday to participate on the Sunday and vise versa.

THE DEAL
    Free parking, camping and toilets on site from Friday evening (No further traveling required)
    €40 per day or €60 for the weekend per vehicle.
    Groups of 5 or more vehicles receive 10 euro discount off each vehicle

THE FUN PART
    2 categories: Winch Extreme and Non Winch intermediate.

Friday Night: Gates open 4.30, set up camp for those who are travelling, BBQ, Beers & Bullsh1te

Saturday: Gates open 8.30am, Briefing @ 10am, Start 10.15 -- Finish 5pm

Saturday Night: BQQ followed by night driving and return for more BQQ, Beers & Bullsh1te

Sunday: Start 10am -- Finish 4.30pm

For more info; Leinster4x4.ie or Phone 0831006988

http://www.leinster4x4.ie/vbulletin/content/34-annagh-hill.html

The 4xForum's 2012 Swapmeet event is being held at Flowerhill Off Road Centre 14-15 July.

http://www.4xforum.net/index.php?topic=3331.0

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I pay my way and more no problems. However paying €60 each time for the one hours off roading that I would want to do a few times a year doesnt work for me. In the UK there are hundreds of free green lanes to use and I started this thread to see if there are any in Ireland.

Hey Dave.

Is that closed off at night , and would you make it around without a lifted jeep ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tony.aspergers

There was a time in the not too distant past when that Army site was out of bounds, and some 4x4 owners were threatened with prosecution if they drove on it. It would be nice to know that that threat has now been lifted for good....!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

yep very driveable lost of different tracks and ive never had to ask any1 to drive on have beening driving it for years me and my friends guys on quads and scramblers use it aswel ur welcome to come down some sat day and we can show u around
    No way, brilliant. I spend a lot of time down that neck of the woods. I have a house on the St.mullins side, and look at brandon hill form the garden.

Could you possibly PM me the directions or location for the entrance?

Thanks in advance!

what u driving up there

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

what u driving up there
    Pajero Sport and a Landcruiser.

There was a time in the not too distant past when that Army site was out of bounds, and some 4x4 owners were threatened with prosecution if they drove on it. It would be nice to know that that threat has now been lifted for good....!

Sometime I pass not too far from there was wondering if you know if the public can use it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

howdy all.

new to the whole 4x4 thing. driving a 4wd cr-v and a few questions.

crv not the best thing in the world to use butility it'll do the job I suppose for the light stuff.

1) what's the thoughts of off reading at night ? definitely better to do it during the day indeed but anyone go at night ?

2) any free light stuff that the crv can handle around Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare, Louth and Meath ?

3) legality of these free off roads. fines etc ?

4) crv overall any good for this ? not heavy stuff... using automatic too

5) any boards days where the guys meet up for fun free offroading ? like a meet

Advertisement