Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Ellvina Graham, Chief Operating Officer,Ulster Bank Ireland said on RTÉ's News at One it was a software patch applied on Tuesday night that caused the issue.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0622/ulster-bank-branches-to-remain-open-late-to-deal-w.html#audio

• Registered Users Posts: 35 adsw

thomasm wrote: »
    Ellvina Graham, Chief Operating Officer,Ulster Bank Ireland said on RTÉ's News at One it was a software patch applied on Tuesday night that caused the issue.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0622/ulster-bank-branches-to-remain-open-late-to-deal-w.html#audio

As always, some poor junior IT guy will be blamed. Big boys will be fine !!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Have to give a big thumbs up to my local PTSB branch this morning,like a lot of people my wife was due to be paid by HSE using UB yesterday,funds not in bank this morning,called into customer services with her payslip & asked if I could get some money out to tide us over for a few days,no problem & really under the circumstances couldn't have been more helpful:).
    Account is now overdrawn & will probably be charged for it & maybe 1 or 2 direct debits may be returned next week if this issue isn't resolved quite soon but hopefully with a bank statement UB will refund any charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

adsw wrote: »
    As always, some poor junior IT guy will be blamed. Big boys will be fine !!

Judging pay the pay cuts and conditions that they imposed on their contracters over the past 3 years I'm suprised anyone left knows how it all works

on a lighter note .......... http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/bank-computer-develops-conscience-2012062231558

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

My husbands company who use UB for salary payment have been great thankfully. Staff were to be paid Thursday and this lunch time they have given all staff a cheque to cash in UB then lodge in own accounts. If yesterdays salary goes through next few days they will then not pay next thur. Over 600 staff also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭szjon

Sky news reporting RBS and Natwest branches to be open Sunday. Nothing about Ulsterbank.:confused:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The COO said on the News at One that if there was a need for it, branches would open on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

For techie heads good thread here http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/1451044

Though if what one of these guys is suggesting is true, that a ca7 upgrade broke the schedule, I *salute* whatever moron was in charge as that kind of f*ck up is impressive as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Some branches will open Sunday if need be. Rte news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭vickers209

I Notice Wicklow Town is not on the list for opening late tonight or tomorrow so if i needed funds i would have to make a 15 mile trip to bray and same back !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I bank with AIB and my employer with UB/RBS. This has left me in a bit of a sticky situation. Thankfully AIB helped with an overdraft to support some direct debits due out today. Very helpful. Luckily I have cash reserved outside this account and I hope they get this sorted over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

I am just wondering are they actually able to verify in the bank what your balance is before this mess started? I can now log into my online a/c now (Couldn't this morning) and see what is there before the glitch started, Can they actually see that on their screens in the branch or are they seeing blank? Tried ringing but no answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Lanshane wrote: »
    I am just wondering are they actually able to verify in the bank what your balance is before this mess started? I can now log into my online a/c now (Couldn't this morning) and see what is there before the glitch started, Can they actually see that on their screens in the branch or are they seeing blank? Tried ringing but no answer...

They can see the same as you (if at all in some cases)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Well looks like they are saying it is now fixed?!:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0622/ulster-bank-has-two-day-backlog-of-payments.html
    The bank says the issue has now been fixed but it will take the weekend to clear the backlog which amounts to millions of euro in transactions.

Am due to be paid on Monday so have my fingers crossed that all is good. Heart goes out to anyone that has been affected by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Checked my account online yesterday to find there are 2 idential debits from it, both for €25.75, 1st on the 18th, 2nd on the 19th. no other info is given such as where or when.

It's put me into overdraft which i don't have anyway and i certainly didn't use my card for that amount, the last time i used it was about €24 in centra. Hoping this is a problem with their end and not some douche that's skimmed my card or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Blikes wrote: »
    Checked my account online yesterday to find there are 2 idential debits from it, both for €25.75, 1st on the 18th, 2nd on the 19th. no other info is given such as where or when.

It's put me into overdraft which i don't have anyway and i certainly didn't use my card for that amount, the last time i used it was about €24 in centra. Hoping this is a problem with their end and not some douche that's skimmed my card or something
    It's all part of the fubarr at their end. My last debit card use is duplicated also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Dunnes Stores switched to Ulster Bank to distribute wages into the accounts of their employees a few months ago.

That's an awful lot of people who didn't get paid this weekend regardless of who they happen to bank with.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Still waiting on my wifes wages from Wednesday night.
    Just sit it out now ya?
    Might be in tonight? monday? tuesday?

Hard to know if its worth all the hassle of going into town, getting parked or trying to, q-ing etc, if its gonna be in tomorrow now anyway........!

But then, if its gonna be tuesday, I could do with it before then alright.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Updated FAQ (here):
    My salary/benefit payment was due into my Ulster Bank account. What should I do?

If you are trying to access a salary or benefit payment and you cannot access your funds via an ATM, you may wish to visit a branch. To help you with this, 50 of our branches will be open until the extended time of 7pm today. Tomorrow Saturday 23 June we will be opening 34 Saturday branches with extended hours of 3pm, and we will open some of our branches on Sunday 24 June, 10am to 1pm. If visiting a branch, please bring your ID and payments details. Recipients of benefit payments who choose to visit an NI branch need provide ID only.

I am not a customer of Ulster Bank but my salary or welfare payment was impacted by this incident. What can I do?

We have been working with all the other banks to ensure that customers are not financially impacted. Please contact your bank in the first instance.

Why is my balance on my account still not up to date?

We are now working through the backlog of payments and hope to be fully operational by Monday 25 June.

Can I continue to use my Ulster Bank credit and Visa debit card?

Yes. But please be aware that any balance in your account will not be up to date.

Have the transactions for Wednesday 20 June or Thursday 21 June been processed?

Many credits and debits to your accounts from Wednesday 20 June and Thursday 21 June are still being processed as a result of the technical issue. We are working our way through this backlog of payments as quickly as possible.

Can I see my balance on Anytime, Mobile Banking or on an ATM screen?

The balance on Anytime Internet and Mobile Banking and ATM screen will not be up to date as it may not reflect transactions due to be applied to your account from Wednesday 20 June onwards.

Will I be charged if my account is out of order?

If you've experienced any charges or loss of interest as a result of this incident please contact us in the first instance and we will refund you fully.

Will the website continue to be updated over the weekend?

Yes, we will be posting regular updates to our website over the weekend to update you on our progress in resolving this issue.

There are 13 branches due to open on Sunday from 10am to 1pm - Castlebar, Cavan, Limerick Dooradoyle, Dublin Grafton Street, Dundrum, Galway, Letterkenny, Liffey Valley, Midleton, Mullingar, Naas, Swords Pavillion, and Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I'd love to know what excuse the branches that arent open have......!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think my company has transfered to aib to send out wages, good lads

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

To be fair to the Ulster Bank front line staff they are working very hard to maintain good customer service in a time of great difficulty. I was in my local branch today and the abuse one of the staff was getting was unwarranted. Of course people are frustrated but it is NOT the front line staffs fault and they should not have to put up with verbal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

I got 60 euro diesel 30 mile away from home no cash on me at all went to use my card yesterday......thats when found the system was down :(

• Its not even the fault of Ulster Bank. RBS The parent company took over their IT systems and transferred everything to India. They made most of their IT staff in UK / Ireland redundant. Incidents like this are caused by lack of experience and poor management of IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

I just noticed they've updated the message in the online login, whcih showed 09:00 all day, to 17:00, basically saying the problem is sorted and they're now working on the backlog.

Also, I've been trying to print off a statement (to prove I get my wages every fortnight) but haven't been able to access them up to now, so the online system seems to be back up and functional (without the updated balances, though).

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Im 40 Euro overdrawn due to a point of sale today with O2. Im not with O2 and didnt make any point of sales in the last week. My wages are also affected. Pissed off, working my ass off all week and now no money for a few tinnies!... DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING!! ITS A DISGRACE JOE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭chasm

Surely UB wouldn't have the nerve to bring in the rumoured charges and fees after this?
    I still think it is a poor show that they only put forward a spokesperson on the TV today to apologise for this. . . 4/5 days after it started.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    To be fair to the Ulster Bank front line staff they are working very hard to maintain good customer service in a time of great difficulty. I was in my local branch today and the abuse one of the staff was getting was unwarranted. Of course people are frustrated but it is NOT the front line staffs fault and they should not have to put up with verbal abuse.

That's not on, I went in today to unlodge a lodgement made yesterday and all of the customers were wanting to get payments or withdraw due to lodgements. Not one person gave the staff abuse, and in fairness to the staff they were doing a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 m.kot

Have acc with them. It's already overdrawn which is impossible.

Was trying to use credit card with no luck. The lady at Tesco with small kids was crying at the checkout :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I remind everyone to read the Moderation note here. I've already had to delete more off topic, irrelevant and insulting posts and in some cases issue infractions to those responsible.

There is a zero tolerance for muppetry approach being taken on this thread - and this is now the second notice I've given. Keep within the site rules, charter and moderation instructions and we'll all be fine. Otherwise, expect sanctions if you decide to ignore the warnings given.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement